Sign in to follow this  
Matt B

Let's give Update 5 a fair assessment!

10 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I do wonder occasionally how much the differences people are "debating" over have to do with monitor settings and the like.

It's based on standards though, either you are using old school Rec 709 color; or DCI P3, or Rec 2020. Unless the color is just way off (other than GREEN, Green is very important to get right in a SIM), but other than that, it's their gamma and contrast calibration fighting with the program. Even a basic gamma like a Flat 2.2 - 2.3 with no HDR shouldn't look blown out.

Though I do agree that you can calibrate around some of the blown out whites and other issues in this update, it's not always easy, and things should look fine regardless what standard someone is running, whether it be old school Rec 709 or a newer HDR standard.

Most decent monitors have at least a couple modes that aren't too far off a standard, though some can be pretty bad. For people that haven't calibrated, they can usually Google to find the most accurate natural mode if they wish (the closest without calibrating).

That said, it takes being a bit more than just a tad off to blow out stuff as much as this goes. I've seen some claim the HDR is great, but HDR is finnicky and it varies not just by display to display, but by tech type, brightness, calibration, and yada yada.

So basically, it shouldn't look that blown out if you are relatively close to a standard, and most decent monitors aren't too far off unless they really jacked up their settings. 

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

44 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So then if someone has a 9 year old PC. it is OK to roll back graphics so the 9 year old PC has acceptable frame rates, and the people that just bought a PC  in the last year or two for MSFS should see degraded visuals. I am on a fixed income and scrimped and saved to get a new PC, and now I have to look at something that isn't as good as it was a few days ago. 

You probably read the part where I said "in my case" but didnt care - The point of this thread BTW (there are plenty of other to complain on) is not everyone thinks the entire SU5 is a dumpster fire.  Yes there are many issues that should not have made it to production (which I said in my post) - oh well sorry for your troubles hope the hot fix gets you back to your level of happiness with the sim.   

Edited by marcg11

28 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

That cuts both ways Bob. To play devil's advocate:

It's okay to upgrade the simulator so the 9 year old PC has unacceptable framerates/graphics, so that people who just bought a PC in the last couple of years for MFS can see enhanced visuals. They might be on a low income and scrimped and saved but had to spend on something other than a new PC, and now they have to look at something that is a slideshow, whereas right now it is playable.

it is obvious there have been winners and losers with this update, and user experience is varying wildly based on both their hardware and how they use the sim. Hopefully the hotfix will make for fewer losers. To address the thread title, i don't think it's possible to give a fair assessment until the update has been patched.

So using that logic, Asobo should lock all the sliders on Low, and tell people. " Now everyone will get good performance"

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

@Bobsk8 Exactly! Reductio ad absurdum. That was my point about your original post, and you can do the same flip on this; Asobo should lock everything ultra and everyone will get great visuals.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt B said:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like MSFS2020 + Update 5 need a fair review.

All we see here is so much negative. 

This is a lot like wanting to purchase something on Amazon and after reading all of the negative reviews about that product you want to change your mind.  What I've come to learn is that happy and satisfied people are less likely to expend energy coming back to leave a positive review.  Some do... Most don't.  It's the same in this case.  There are thousands of people enjoying their MSFS2020 right now... Simply too busy barnstorming, buzzing the White House, or whatever else they do while using their sim to come back and leave a review.  Yet... Any outsider coming to this forum and reading complaints from a few dozen posts would think that MSFS2020 is an outright abomination.  Not the case!  I for one after minimal tweaking have got my sim running just the way I want it.  In fact I downloaded and flew the Solo 103 last night and I was quite impressed.  Very realistic... Still runs smooth for me. 

Also... So much hate about the brightness and washed out colors.  I'm not sure why everyone was hung up on the over saturated graphics prior to the update.  While pretty... It was kind of unrealistic.  I have a lot of hours in the air as a flight medic and most of the time due to air/moisture density and many other atmospheric factors, the colors were never close to what we were presented with prior to the update.  The real world IS very washed out from the air especially at higher altitude.    For example... here's an actual photo over Pittsfield Maine I took after a patient transport to Boston.   I actually complained to Mother Nature about her washed out scenery, but she wasn't hearing any of that!   LOLOL!  Point is... If you are looking for realism... IMO, Update 5 got it right!

258473_2060107228789_3073628_o.jpg?_nc_c

Thanks for your post. It would be useful to know if you are using HDR or SDR modes?

Also what are your nvidia settings eg for gamma and have you made any changes to your userconfig file?

As you have real world experience and you are happy with your sim, it’s useful to compare?

49 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So then if someone has a 9 year old PC. it is OK to roll back graphics so the 9 year old PC has acceptable frame rates, and the people that just bought a PC  in the last year or two for MSFS should see degraded visuals. I am on a fixed income and scrimped and saved to get a new PC, and now I have to look at something that isn't as good as it was a few days ago. 

You have a valid point Bob, but keep in mind that SU5 was not developed to help people with 9 year old pc's, it was developed with XBox in mind and a deadline of the 27th, now that xbox is out, Asobo will work on the shortcomings, just give them time. 

I can understand your frustration, I suppose if I had invested 2k on a new pc, I would be screaming at Asobo too, but we also got to understand their side and their commitment to MS, the had to get Xbox out on the 27h by all means with no exceptions.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

21 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

You have a valid point Bob, but keep in mind that SU5 was not developed to help people with 9 year old pc's, it was developed with XBox in mind and a deadline of the 27th, now that xbox is out, Asobo will work on the shortcomings, just give them time. 

I can understand your frustration, I suppose if I had invested 2k on a new pc, I would be screaming at Asobo too, but we also got to understand their side and their commitment to MS, the had to get Xbox out on the 27h by all means with no exceptions.

I suspect the visuals will come back.  My son tells me that his XBox games (GTAV, etc.) look sooo much better on a PC.  I imagine this one will go the same way...........eventually.

• Like 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

6 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I suspect the visuals will come back.  My son tells me that his XBox games (GTAV, etc.) look sooo much better on a PC.  I imagine this one will go the same way...........eventually.

If you take a took at Xbox specs, the CPU is quite powerful, but the GPU is not, so from Asobo's point of view it made sense to downgrade graphics a bit so they could get xbox out the door. 

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

This is with all on Ultra and no messing with configs over Gothenburg Sweden from FL 400. Looks OK to me at least?

baU8CZk.jpg

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

1 minute ago, mazex said:

This is with all on Ultra and no messing with configs over Gothenburg Sweden from FL 400. Looks OK to me at least?

baU8CZk.jpg

Before or after the patch?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Just now, Gregg_Seipp said:

Before. Was playing instead of downloading 🙂

I did experience a flight where the Azure servers seemed overloaded yesterday however where I got FS9 quality scenery for a 40 minute flight. The next one taking off from the airport I landed at it was OK. Might have been an overload now with everyone playing. Not good advertising for Azure then 😉

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

Just now, mazex said:

Before. Was playing instead of downloading 🙂

That actually looks quite good.  I'd heard reports that other folks were getting better resolution this morning from up high...so, maybe, something was adjusted?  Who knows.  But it looks good enough, that's for sure.

Gregg Seipp

Just now, Gregg_Seipp said:

That actually looks quite good.  I'd heard reports that other folks were getting better resolution this morning from up high...so, maybe, something was adjusted?  Who knows.  But it looks good enough, that's for sure.

Can see a small road I drove on yesterday from 40k feet so I agree 😉

5 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

And that's what I saw yesterday when I was looking from FL250

After all the yelling about it being horrible I was surprised.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

50 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

What does the Xbox version have to do with the PC version, we already know they are separate. Hence, LOD culling for custom airports removed in PC version but left in Xbox version. Whatever had to be rushed into the Xbox version didn't have to be added to the PC version, as we know because the 2 versions are not even exactly the same code base, or at the very least they have a conditional versioning block.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram