Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The "if you can't beat them, join them.." post...

13 hours ago, Bosco19 said:

Can't quite believe what I'm seeing here. Microsoft has screwed this pooch so badly that people are actually going to buy Xboxes just to get a version of MSFS that operates as promised? Tragic

I hear ya...but I have seen where this all is going, was going, and has gone.   From (my opinion now...) the get go,  we P.C. owners, were the pay $160.00 chumps that were truly and literally Beta testers...while with each SU and WU, the software was being groomed all along to run as a feature software for Microsoft's own systems, and hardware.   C'mon all...out of the blue...after dropping out of two flight sims past FSX...Microsoft OUT OF THE BLUE announces that they are going to produce another flight sim?  Who for?   All of us? P.C. owners?!?!?  HELL NO....HELL NO...we were the world wide test bed...they dropped updates...and we bitched, or we applauded.  Trained seals...   Asobo works for Microsoft. They pay the bills...and salaries.   It was ALWAYS about producing a flight sim title for their very own hardware ecosystem and---->, that was the entire reason for getting back into flight simming.  For us?  Because we are handsome or beautiful or have nice teeth?  

Rose colored glasses for all....   SU5 was the big tipping point reveal and revelation to me.  I don't need to see any more.  The sim is being trimmed to run on a hardware locked in system, that they control, and that they know everybody will have the same experience.   I see that as clear as a bell, now, as yesterday morning I wiped the Kool Aid off of my lips, and chucked the P.C. 'stand alone MSFS version'  Rose Colored Glassed into the trash bin by my computer desk.  

Folks...you can still keep wearing those gorgeous Rose Colored Glasses, and sip the M.S. P.C.  version Kool Aid.   For myself, that ended yesterday.  I ordered the Microsoft XBox X Console that will be running the Microsoft Flight Simulator GAME. It now sits in the line up with the OTHER GAME Titles that will fuel the Xbox X and S, and if ANYBODY truly, truly still believes after SU5, that there will be a stand alone P.C. version....tweaked to run on any myriad of system sub systems....well...I have only one reaction now...
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL (wiping tears from the eyes...) LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Microsoft is NOT going to pay someone hundreds of thousands of dollars to have two (2) distinct versions of MSFS just BECAUSE, some wish to use a P.C. to run the sim.   Hell no....

There is now going to be only one version...that will run on a Console (THEIRS!!!!) as well as a P.C.   One version...and it will be the version that is tailored and tweaked and tuned to run on THEIR hardware...NOT YOURS!  Welcome to the latest and greatest MSFS version....   MSFS Xbox X/S v1.0, aka...SU5.   This is reality...so, I took off the glasses, wiped my lips of the P.C. stand alone version of this flight sim Kool Aid, ...and ordered an Xbox X.  That is what any future update, version, will be written for...and the hardware that is inside of it.  Nothing more. M.S. pays the bills and pays the salaries of Asobo.  They will write for their eco-system...the Xbox!

There will be Xbox X purchasers, and there will be 'we're working on it...(the P.C. version LOL) for the next ten years' Microsoft/Asobo Kool Aid sippers....one or the other....

Ses, who ordered yesterday, the true...blue...wha hoo system that the new MSFS was always intended to be released for, and coded for.  Not your custom P.C. sitting in front of you. Nope...you and I were just a year ago, the clowns that paid $$$$ to test their coding for them.  Does SU5 run on your P.C.? Sure....but it ain't gonna be coded and tweaked any more, any better than the same version for the Xbox--->..and we saw that in SU5.  That was the big 'reveal' on one year out from the 'Beta Program'  RTM for we paying $$$ chumps.

Welcome to SU5, SU6, SU7, SU8....or Xbox X/S  v1.0, v1.6, v1.7, v1.8...ad nauseum..

Like I named the thread..."if you can't beat em (Microsoft...)  JOIN 'em".   I did, yesterday afternoon and will run their Microsoft Flight Simulator Xbox updates and features...ON an Xbox.   MSFS is written for that hardware, lock stock and barrel! That was ALWAYS the plan from the day of its announcement. We ALL have participated unwittily, in the P.C. 'Big Con'.

Cheers!

Edited by Sesquashtoo
typo

Wow.  I mean, there ARE some things about the SU5 that I don't like on my PC now.  But if I really thought I'd been screwed as badly as your post says I have been, the LAST thing I would do is go spend another $600 for one of their XBoxes.  Ignorance is one thing, but if I didn't know I was gonna get screwed, then discovered I did get screwed, I sure wouldn't think I could trust the same person who screwed me the first time not to do it again.  Your "solution" seems to be a marketer's dream come true.

I think your assessment is quite a bit overblown.  I can wait to see what MS/Asobo does WITHOUT buying an XBox to solve my disappointment right now.  

• Like 2

Rick Ryan

That poster had a unique style I suppose, but it's just a tad bit over-the-top (ya think). That said some of these incredibly long posts lately have me zoning out before i finish reading them.

We are just trying to make it the best experience we can by analyzing and correcting issues. Sometimes it has been very frustrating I admit. However, in the end it is still MORE likely than NOT likely that with modders, fixes, graphics tweaks and ASOBO realizing not all of us prefer SU-5 over 4, that things in the end will likely get better. I'll admit I've made some jokes about the state of the sim, but I was poking fun or trying to figure out issues. Making it a personal vendetta against the designing entity isn't going to help (might not hurt either), but it may affect your enjoyment of the SIM if you go too far down the black hole of ONLY IF.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I've been "simming" since the Commodore 64 days.  Disappointment comes with the territory sometimes.  I'll admit, I didn't jump on the MSFS2020 bandwagon until about a month ago 'cos I wanted things to settle down first.  When I bought it it was already SU4 and I was really, REALLY impressed with it.  I immediately bought the FlyTampa Las Vegas payware ('cos I live there) and was impressed even more.  Then SU5, and the entire state of Nevada looks like an over-brightened water color painting.  It is an immersion killer for me, but I'll be patient enough to see what happens (even though I would have every right to think I got "$120+ screwed" in the last 30 days with my purchase).  I'm just not purchasing any more "payware" for now from anybody.  I'll take my chances with freeware, 'cos it seems some freeware developers are trying their best with the moving MSFS target.

My real concern now is the so-called "10-Year Development" thingie.  Ten years?  I'll probably be dead and buried by then (quit applauding 😄).  The sim is already 1 year old, and they still haven't "solved" the idiotic lightening in "few clouds" weather with the Live Weather.  To me, that's like buying a car racing simulation and the developer saying "Don't worry that the race tracks all have potholes in them for now.  We have a 10-year plan to fix that!".  And MS/Asobo being adamant that they have no intention of releasing "weather capability" to 3rd-party devs basically says, "We'll fix the weather thingie when we feel like it" (or when the "contractor" they have an agreement with to provide the sim's weather info can figure out how to do it).  When flying an airplane, the weather part of the simulation should be a PRIORITY to get right.  For God's sake, being in believable weather where you operate the darn airplane should be a priority.  I don't remember even seeing it on their "To Do" list (but I may be wrong about that.  But it already HAS been a year for an integral part of a flying simulator, so......).

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1

Rick Ryan

I have a decent PC and have been messing around with a Series X. PC keyboards and mice work fine with MSFS (wireless too, although only 2.4ghz not Bluetooth). I picked up a Tflight Hotas One but there’s currently an issue with the game reading the wrong assignments from it on Xbox (I also modified the throttle as it was too loose and I hated the centre detent). Hopefully that will be patched soon.

Graphically the Xbox is pretty good, but obviously not on a par with a PC running ultra settings. For the price it’s a steal, and if you already have MSFS on the MS Store, it’s also valid for Xbox!

Interesting thread, but very frankly, it is now turning into a Machiavellian tragedy...!

Please, I mean please Ses, control yourself, you are bound for a heart attack very quickly if you go on like this!!! Internet is a wonderful instrument for all sorts of conspiracy theories from the darkest to the funniest, but this one is now getting off road.

While there is little to no doubt that the PC version was an excellent testbed for the Xbox version, and that we "contributed" to the Beta testing of it, I cannot possibly see Microsoft making yet another "U" turn in the face of all PC simmers that they invested so much to re-attract with their product after the various past fiasco. Neither do I see the Asobo and Microsoft teams sitting with a straight face at the next online sessions with existential questions like this!

So yes, the PC version was preparing the Xbox version, yes the Xbox crowd is certainly extremely profitable to Microsoft because it will allow the sale of more games beside MSFS, but no, I do not think Microsoft will dump the PC simmers with an unfinished version, after having during one full year organized a step by step progression on what was - and still is - a rather bumpy road. 

Relax Ses, enjoy your Xbox and MSFS, and PC users will continue their flights like they did before. You see Ses, one could almost launch another conspiracy theory on this thread after reading your post: Are you on Microsoft payroll by any chance and are you getting a cut on the sale of Xbox?! 😎

• Like 1

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

18 hours ago, Donka said:

The Xbox is capable of driving the resolution, it just doesn't support the UWQHD ratio i.e. 21:9. It will run at 16:9 ratio and you will have black bars at the sides.

This is the correct answer. It will not natively support ultrawidescreen monitors. Hence, I can't buy one because there's not a chance I'm running anything at 16:9.

I’ve never openly spoken of it before now, but the Xbox scenario certainly does seem plausible. And those thoughts have crossed my mind. After all - over the last 40 years MS has infiltrated and established itself in my life in an insidious way through it’s operating system monopoly. I doubt MS has any regrets about insinuating itself so deeply into most of Human society. Yeah I’ve tried to live with Linux more than once, but the software necessary for my business life  was just never there, and frankly, it sucks as a game system. Yeah, I started with the C-64 and Amiga too - and I am also old enough to possibly NOT be around for a 10-year maturation of a chunk of software I was lame enough to believe was going to be pretty well finished out of the gate. In my own defense, I don’t have a lot of sim experience. I have spent the last 30 years building and flying real aircraft, so I haven’t experienced the long development periods many of you constantly refer to with Xplane and P3D, etc. maybe I’m too naive, but I still want to believe that MSFS will eventually reach a reasonably functional level. If you ARE into conspiracy theories think about this: what’s the major element in MSFS 2020 that has not existed before now? How about access to the entire planet Earth? There is a lot of potential $$$ there! There are certainly possibilities for using that base for any number of gaming and simulation experiences. Wouldn’t they all fit nicely in MS’s own hardware system? Would a relatively few geeky flight simmers be missed after the dust settled? Food for thought 

• Like 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

I don't know how anyone could now seriously dispute the fact that MSFS is now primarily an XBox game which just happens to run on a PC? If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, its a duck.

When I think of all the money I've spent on it I could weep.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Upvote 1

I am also less than pleased with the PC update + HF1 and am on the lookout each day for an Xbox Series X.  Unfortunately, they are as scarce as rocking horse poo in UK, unless you are prepared to pay "scalper" prices, which I am not !!  BR

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

It’s not hard to extrapolate. Go to a menu where you select what kind of pilot you would like to pretend you are today - Long-haul or regional airline -  missionary bush pilot - Aerial fire fighter - Airshow performer.  Cues constantly come up instructing you to set this or adjust that, or perform a certain aerial maneuver. You simply point-and-click. No need to learn, or practice, or qualify in any manner. When it comes time to land you can select from a number of assisted procedures to help you get down. The less assistance you need, the higher your score.  And you have the entire planet and all it’s scenic glory to play in. And your final reward is a score - to try to improve upon every time you play. BANG! you’ve got an Xbox GAME right there!  You’ve got an instant world-wide market of gamers who would love to be “an airline pilot for a day.” Just the fun. None of the work (or the necessity of purchasing and fussing with a bunch of expensive peripherals). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

6 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Interesting thread, but very frankly, it is now turning into a Machiavellian tragedy...!

Please, I mean please Ses, control yourself, you are bound for a heart attack very quickly if you go on like this!!! Internet is a wonderful instrument for all sorts of conspiracy theories from the darkest to the funniest, but this one is now getting off road.

While there is little to no doubt that the PC version was an excellent testbed for the Xbox version, and that we "contributed" to the Beta testing of it, I cannot possibly see Microsoft making yet another "U" turn in the face of all PC simmers that they invested so much to re-attract with their product after the various past fiasco. Neither do I see the Asobo and Microsoft teams sitting with a straight face at the next online sessions with existential questions like this!

So yes, the PC version was preparing the Xbox version, yes the Xbox crowd is certainly extremely profitable to Microsoft because it will allow the sale of more games beside MSFS, but no, I do not think Microsoft will dump the PC simmers with an unfinished version, after having during one full year organized a step by step progression on what was - and still is - a rather bumpy road. 

Relax Ses, enjoy your Xbox and MSFS, and PC users will continue their flights like they did before. You see Ses, one could almost launch another conspiracy theory on this thread after reading your post: Are you on Microsoft payroll by any chance and are you getting a cut on the sale of Xbox?! 😎

No heart attack..lol.  Just my thoughts since the day it was released..and seeing where the updates took us.  With SU5, I bought the hardware that M.S. through Asobo is writing for.  It's a controlled environment, Benard, and that is what they want.  I'll buy in...enjoy on their hardware, and use my P.C. for my other sims, and etc.  So all is good. I'm just off the MSFS merry-go-round, and will know that my Box de X will pump out what M.S. wants it to, regarding MSFS.  So all is good, I'm just finished with the baited breath, game, and "we hope this and that will get FIXED with the NEXT update"  Yeah, yeah...and I'm still waiting for my ship to come in, before the dock rots...LOL!

Post edit  "Bernard...dang...you bring up a good point...I might call M.S. and as Al Capone used to say..."Gimme a cut...or I make a cut..."...lol. Cheers!

Cheers, my friend. 🙂

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FalconAF said:

Wow.  I mean, there ARE some things about the SU5 that I don't like on my PC now.  But if I really thought I'd been screwed as badly as your post says I have been, the LAST thing I would do is go spend another $600 for one of their XBoxes.  Ignorance is one thing, but if I didn't know I was gonna get screwed, then discovered I did get screwed, I sure wouldn't think I could trust the same person who screwed me the first time not to do it again.  Your "solution" seems to be a marketer's dream come true.

I think your assessment is quite a bit overblown.  I can wait to see what MS/Asobo does WITHOUT buying an XBox to solve my disappointment right now.  

Hi Falcon...I guess we will all have to wait and see.   After SU5 though I do see what I feel the 'final' cut of MSFS will be.   M.S. wanted a flight simulator 'game' on their  game list..and investing $$$$'s now have it.  
Asobo only now needs to clean up a perfect code match with the same hardware that will be in all Xbox X and S's consoles...and they/it will  all be good to go.  The P.C. 'custom' system for MSFS, and tailored to...is a pipe dream, like ocean front property in Phoenix.  I just wish that I had waited it all out and just had bought the Xbox..and took a game subscription, instead of buying into the most expensive RTM offering, at RTM.  SU5 told me that I wasted a lot of cash.  But..that's my opinion and all of you have yours, of course.

Cheers, my friend!

Edited by Sesquashtoo

7 hours ago, FalconAF said:

I really wasn't 'promoting' other's buying an Xbox X, Falcon. but rather, put my thoughts into print for why I decided yesterday to buy one...run MSFS on it, and be done with it.  I see where the coding is being pushed to.  So, I bought the system that will be a match, lock, stock and barrel. 

My P.C. is just fine flying P3D, and XP11 soon to be v12.  Oh...and Netflix...but I understand that I can run Nettie WITH the Xbox...lol.  I'm glad it is so verstile, for not only bringing MSFS to the a big screen near you. :)))))

You can cry, or you can laugh. I always choose to break a grin... :and keep my wife wondering what's on my mind...  you know, The Cheshire Cat grin...

7 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

That poster had a unique style I suppose, but it's just a tad bit over-the-top (ya think). That said some of these incredibly long posts lately have me zoning out before i finish reading them.

We are just trying to make it the best experience we can by analyzing and correcting issues. Sometimes it has been very frustrating I admit. However, in the end it is still MORE likely than NOT likely that with modders, fixes, graphics tweaks and ASOBO realizing not all of us prefer SU-5 over 4, that things in the end will likely get better. I'll admit I've made some jokes about the state of the sim, but I was poking fun or trying to figure out issues. Making it a personal vendetta against the designing entity isn't going to help (might not hurt either), but it may affect your enjoyment of the SIM if you go too far down the black hole of ONLY IF.

Hi Alpine.  I don't believe that my printed thoughts. formed a basis for vendetta.  I absolutely have no such thoughts.   But...I do feel, personally...that we were all played from the start.   I should have really stopped to think of why WHY...did out of left field, M.S. jump in with not only a cloud based flight sim, that the content is controlled by them, but even to want to invest $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s of loot into the project.  A gift to the P.C. base that was running with them since 1995?  Not on your life...for did they not just open their hands like All State, and just abandon both FSX and that other one, called Flight?  Did they give a $**#((@)@)   about those that had invested hardware, time, emotion, interest, in Flight?  Not on your life, they dumped and walked.   So...unless there is anticipated BIG dollars in return for M.S...they will absolutely walk into the bush.  This was ALWAYS about the Xbox...always.  I just didn't see that one year ago.  I was too blinded by the hype of it all.  

Not now...not with the release of from SU4 to SU5. I see the cut backs, and walk backs...the tune up for the guts of the Xbox X and S.   So....I threw in the towel..and bought one.  I'll certainly enjoy it....and fly MSFS, Xbox style, with the help of a stick, pedals, and a keyboard.  I'm not bitter, Alpine. I'm just sick of the taste of the MSFS Kool-Aid.  I am now drinking a beer, and waiting for the phone call to go and pick up my 'new' MSFS flight system  (large grin!)

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo