Sign in to follow this  
Gulfstream

Old Simmer Returning - Questions

I posted in the forum regarding the release of the Aviat Husky A-1C that I am now going to dive back in.

A quick background, because it's relevant.  I've been simming since FS9, that passion led me to become a Commercial Pilot and later ATC.

I have been away from simming for a decade or so, but prior to that I was heavily into FS and X-Plane with study-level airliners.  I had all the relevant hardware including yoke, pedals, and Track IR.

Now, I'm older and have less free time.  I also have no hardware.

The question is, how difficult is it to control something like the Aviat Husky A-1C with what I have now, which is a keyboard, a mouse, and a (gasp!) X-Box gamepad.

I watch these videos of people easily panning around, switching camera views, seamlessly and quickly zooming into parts of the panel.

How difficult is all of this with just these 3?  It's released on XBox so clearly an XBox gamepad is all one needs, but how realistic is this coming from a background of "used to have a lot more toys"?

Thanks.

Edited by Gulfstream
I used "dashboard" instead of "panel" which is shameful.
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome back to the world of simming. At the very least if I were you I would invest in a Thrustmaster Hotas at the cost of circa £80 T.Flight Hotas One - Joystick for Xbox One and PC | Thrustmaster

It makes a world of difference at a relatively low cost.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

My post is in no way trying to be negative, just my personal opinion, but if all you have is a keyboard, mouse and Xbox controller I wouldn’t bother until you can get a cheap joystick at the very least. You can probably get a cheap Logitech extreme on Amazon or eBay for 40$. 

welcome back! Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

5 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

My post is in no way trying to be negative, just my personal opinion, but if all you have is a keyboard, mouse and Xbox controller I wouldn’t bother until you can get a cheap joystick at the very least. You can probably get a cheap Logitech extreme on Amazon or eBay for 40$. 

welcome back! Cheers!

You're right, this question didn't make much sense, especially since XBox gamepad is a joystick.  Two analog sticks and triggers for rudder pedals, etc.

I suppose that answers the question.  Use that in combination with the KBM and learn the proper keys.

4 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

You're right, this question didn't make much sense, especially since XBox gamepad is a joystick.  Two analog sticks and triggers for rudder pedals, etc.

I suppose that answers the question.  Use that in combination with the KBM and learn the proper keys.

Your question makes sense, I just can’t see it being very immersive using the sim with anything less than a proper joystick. But to some a proper joystick isn’t essential, hope you enjoy your return…P.S hot fix on the way for SU5 + hotfix! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

16 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

welcome back! Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

Whilst a gamepad is technically a form of joystick, the issue is that the axes lengths are painfully short (naturally, considering the size of the 'sticks', which can make flying overly sensitive and fiddly.  It is of course personal preference but I would highly recommend even a cheap Amazon / eBay joystick for flying, over using a gamepad.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

The gamepad is very much a usable option. That's what I started with when I discovered my old Thrustmaster stick was incompatible. I began with one of my Sony PS4 pads connected via USB until I finally found where I'd stored mislaid my old XBox wireless pad years earlier. Now I run with a top notch yoke (Fulcrum One) and very competent Thrustmaster Airbus sidestick/throttle combo.

What I can't say is whether, as a real world pilot, you will find the experience sufficiently accurate or immersive as that's both subjective and impossible for me as a non-pilot to imagine.

Long-term, I reckon you'd long for realistic controls again, but the pad is fine to get you into the swing of things for now.

Edited by 109Sqn

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)