Sign in to follow this  
toby23

Noise in shadows - need help getting rid of dithered shadows

On 8/28/2021 at 5:14 AM, leprechaunlive said:

You really have no clue what you are talking about have you....

Ha, you gave me a good laugh, thanks for making my day! 

On 8/30/2021 at 1:22 AM, toby23 said:

@ChaoticBeauty thanks but it's a hopeless cause at the moment. It's the way the sim renders shadows in this cockpit apparently and I'm going to have to live with it and just fly instead of nitpick 🙂

Did you try turning “eye adaption” off?

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

2 hours ago, gboz said:

Did you try turning “eye adaption” off?

Does it work for you ? It doesn’t for me like if the usercfg was overridden by some other configuration file.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

If you have a nVidia GPU:

Over Sharpening option, rise up "Ignore film grain" slider over 50% or more.

Im at 70% IIRC on the Raptor, who has very noticeable grainy shadows

Thanks for your ideas but it's nothing to do with the 'film grain' option, which I have off. It's the way the sim renders certain kinds of shadows and nothing I can do will change it, unless I rewrite the way the sim displays shadows 🙂

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Does it work for you ? It doesn’t for me like if the usercfg was overridden by some other configuration file.

Yes works for me. Plenty of people have your problem of it not sticking though.

• Like 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:41 AM, toby23 said:

It's the way the sim renders certain kinds of shadows  🙂

Sure, but im talking about nVidia Game profile properties, where you can "ignore film grain" in games that abuses of its use.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:00 AM, aniiran said:

The strangest one to me is the disappearing reflections on water at diagonal angles to the surfaces of the airplane.  I do not understand how or why that occurs and why they can't fix it.  It's pretty ugly.

Not sure if it is the same issue, but the game only reflects what you can see from the cockpit.   Anything not visible from your sitting position is not reflected. 

Apparently a bit like Schrodinger's cat, if you are not looking at something it does not exist. 

I am seeing dithering in the PMDG 737 on the air stairs, and the pilot seats. I tried the suggestions here but they did not work. Curious if anybody has a solution. I am running on Windows 11 and with an nVidia 3080. Thank you in advance!
Sean

On 8/28/2021 at 12:32 PM, Farlis said:

Glenn Fitzpatrick is correct.

That is how the rendering engine has always worked in MSFS since release.

Exactly, cause this game was developed to run on XBox hardware from the get-go!

Chris Camp

3 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Exactly, cause this game was developed to run on XBox hardware from the get-go!

That being said, the Xbox S is probably higher spec than most users PC's. If anything, it's from Asobo trying to make it work well enough for the average PC.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

On 8/30/2021 at 10:38 AM, JJ_ said:

Ha, you gave me a good laugh, thanks for making my day! 

He's right, though. Anyway, this has been an issue with the sim's lighting engine from day one and it was actually worse at the start. Asobo's intended fix is to introduce ray tracing.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.