Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

XP12 system requirements

1 minute ago, GCBraun said:

Well the problem is that my most used add-ons are not even compatible with the Mac, so that is hard to compare. In any case, I can hardly believe that such a machine is comparable with a good quality PC.

For instance, the M1 16" with a Radeon 5500M costs 3200 Euro. My seconds rig with a 3060Ti costed much less than that and I am pretty sure that the performance on XP11 would be better.

There is no question that Mac's are far more expensive than Windows PC's.  That's the running theme with Apple users.  Apple has an "Apple Tax".  I spent about $AUD6500 on my MBP with eGPU. I could've gotten the top tier Windows laptop for that, and had money left over for a new nvidia GPU.

From what I've seen, X-Plane, and nearly all, if not all games will run better on a Windows PC.  

Absolutely 100% agree on that.

The tradeoff is that Mac's are far more stable, at least in my instance, than Windows. PC's.  So working on addons in a Mac environment is far more reliable (based on past experience) than on a Windows PC.

It all depends on the needs.  Mac's are not gaming PC's.  So if someone wants to game on a computer, I'll always tell them to do it on a Windows PC.  If they want to work on a computer, Mac is the better choice. (my opinion only.)

2 hours ago, GoranM said:

The tradeoff is that Mac's are far more stable

Ive found calling Mac and Linux stable is a little bit trying to explain immersion to someone who has never tried VR.

To those who have never used a POSIX OS, waiting 10 minutes for the not responding icon to go away and the machine occasionally force rebooting while you are away from the desk but in the middle of doing work, generally losing everything you did that morning, are just unavoidable consequences of using the best operating system made by the best company ever.

Or maybe they just like it that way.

Its also not so true anymore, Windows went downhill quickly after win7 as all the "google quality engineers" switched from dual boot win/lin to single boot Linux, and metal appears to be far superior than directx or vulkan on cheap intel GPUs.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

About the Apple M1 and X-Plane, Ben Supnik has a few interesting comments!
https://developer.x-plane.com/2020/11/arm-macs/

And some benchmarks a little bit less than a year ago (unfortunately screenshots have been deleted):
https://developer.x-plane.com/2020/11/arm-macs/#comment-39149

This, ladies and gents, is just totally bonkers. Oh, and the fans never ramped up, and the chassis stayed cool to the touch. XP native, on, say, an ARM iMac, with more dedicated GPU cores, ought to be devastating. That said, my little experiment has already blown my mind.

And this one:
https://developer.x-plane.com/2020/11/arm-macs/#comment-39195

I’ve been testing X-Plane on my new M1 MacBook Pro and the results are mind bending. I can’t wait to see what it’s like when X-Plane is actually compiled to run native on the M1 chip set. My main machine is a 12 core, 2019 Mac Pro with 96GB of RAM and an AMD Pro Vega II with 32GB of VRAM. Same aircraft, scenery, and settings, the little MacBook Pro, running in EMULATION is faster than the Mac Pro?! It’s unbelievable, and truly awesome what will be possible in the future. I have to say it even looks better somehow, seems like the colors, lighting, and shadow are a little smoother and better rendered. Even running with Max objects, max visual effects, max texture quality, antialiasing 2x SSAA + FXAA, Anisotropic filtering at 8x, and shadows, using XCODR’s pretty intense KDEN package and the Tolis A319, I’m getting 25 to 50 fps.

Quite tempting as an upgrade to my now nearly 3yo MBA!

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 9/24/2021 at 9:06 PM, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Hope that means you're not on the list in front of me waiting on a card.

No worries, I have a custom 6900XT merrily purring along next to me.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days