Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG with Nvidia 472.12 drivers

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Frank. Unusual suggestion but one worth trying. It will be with the earlier drivers, not these.

Was harming my ability to start FSX SE, but it's all in the family. It was introduced with a recent driver update. Every lead is a lead to pursue when confronted with such issues.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/3046104862447471029/

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

Was harming my ability to start FSX SE, but it's all in the family. It was introduced with a recent driver update. Every lead is a lead to pursue when confronted with such issues.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/3046104862447471029/

That was about FSX and the user couldn’t get to the main scenario menu. Totally different problem to my DXGI DX12 one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That was about FSX and the user couldn’t get to the main scenario menu. Totally different problem to my DXGI DX12 one.

Understand completely, however, every lead is a lead to pursue when confronted with such issues.  Especially if driver influenced!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

31 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Understand completely, however, every lead is a lead to pursue when confronted with such issues.  Especially if driver influenced!

It’s a long shot Frank. A very, very long shot.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It’s a long shot Frank. A very, very long shot.

That is what I needed when it cured my issue....  And it only takes seconds.  Doesn't work?  Look for the next long shot! Isn't this activity so much fun at times?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

As well as clearing the Directx  shader cache, you could also try clearing all the content from C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp. A lot of the flightsim apps place files in this folder and they should get overwritten as needed, but according to the AVSIM CTD guide it's worth clearing everything out occasionally. Configuration changes and new drivers etc. can leave unwanted / incompatible files that cause CTDs etc. in this folder. I have cleared the folder many times - it is safe to do this but best to close other apps first before deleting to ensure that the files are not in use when you delete them.

• Like 1

@simfan1983

I have 253Mb of data in that folder including a few folders created today. I will certainly try that, thanks.

Just to avoid any confusion I'm back on earlier drivers so this topic is not currently relevant to me.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, I am trying to find this TdrDelay.  How do I find this I keep going in circles.....

Thank you

percy

13 minutes ago, percylee said:

Ray, I am trying to find this TdrDelay.  How do I find this I keep going in circles.....

Thank you

percy

Percy,j

The entry won’t exist. You need to add it to the relevant part of the Registry. Full instructions are in this topic...

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/606945-nvidia-47196-and-dxgi_device_hung-resolved/?do=findComment&comment=4634657

It’s a simple action if you’re used to accessing the Registry but if you’re not read this for guidance.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-xp-vista/how-to-modify-the-windows-registry/

And just to confirm it’s TdrLevel that needs creating, not TdrDelay. Capitalisation is very important. Make sure you enter the name as shown.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

As said elsewhere regarding DXGI errors, all I did was to shave off 100mHz off the GPU clock with Firestorm. Everything is fine, NO DXGI crashes. This is with any driver including the latest Nvidia. I see I am not alone with this workaround. No messing with registry, which in my case did not work anyway.

1 hour ago, Jaroberts said:

No messing with registry, which in my case did not work anyway.

I didn't "mess" with the Registry. I entered a valid command that solved the problem for me and those with the FSL Airbus. If that didn't work for you then I'm pleased the alternative did.

I never criticised the suggestion that underclocking the GPU would solve it. It's down to each person to try things that work for them.

You haven't listed your hardware or named what the "latest" Nvidia drivers are you're using. I'm on 471.96.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

TdrDelay or TdrLevel? For me, reading this thread was a case of déjà vu until, that is, you corrected yourself a few posts up from this one. Again, can you confirm that we are referencing TdrLevel rather than TdrDelay?

Can you tell us why you dropped back to an earlier driver set?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

2 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ray,

TdrDelay or TdrLevel? For me, reading this thread was a case of déjà vu until, that is, you corrected yourself a few posts up from this one. Again, can you confirm that we are referencing TdrLevel rather than TdrDelay?

Can you tell us why you dropped back to an earlier driver set?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Mike, I’m not sure why you’re confused about this. In my post five up from this one I clearly stated TdrLevel is what I’m now using.

I installed the Studio drivers for 472.12 and had a DXGI-HUNG error when I paused the sim soon after takeoff. Whether it was the Studio version or me pausing the sim I don’t know. I reverted to the earlier ones and will test for a pause with those.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Mike, I’m not sure why you’re confused about this. In my post five up from this one I clearly stated TdrLevel is what I’m now using.

Hi Ray,

You kicked off this thread by mentioning TdrDelay=0 as if it was still present in your Registry whereas you told us you had deleted this entry in favour of TdrLevel=0 in the previous thread. 

Regards,

Mike