Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Texas MD-87 Crash on Takeoff - all survived!

Video at the link below.

image.png.19df95f48d463d679f4e9dc1c239dfe5.png

https://www.ifn.news/posts/private-mcdonnell-douglas-md-87-crashes-during-takeoff/

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

That was no "runway excursion". That aircraft left the ground, and subsequently crashed. Note the very short trench behind the aft end!

I was glad to hear there were no fatalities. Wow, talk about good luck!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good grief.  I assume they all got out quickly, and then it went up in flames?  The article really doesn't say...

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

That was no "runway excursion". That aircraft left the ground, and subsequently crashed. Note the very short trench behind the aft end!

I was glad to hear there were no fatalities. Wow, talk about good luck!

So it flew sideways then??   Watch the video at the 13min mark. You will see the tire marks all the way from the runway. Thankfully no one was hurt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Garys said:

Watch the video at the 13min mark. You will see the tire marks all the way from the runway.

Agree!  Pretty vivid.  The perceived crater behind the tail is I believe instead scorched earth, likely from fuel that burned.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Certainly glad that no one was killed.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

13 hours ago, Garys said:

So it flew sideways then??   Watch the video at the 13min mark. You will see the tire marks all the way from the runway. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Oh, I got bored with the extended orbiting of the helo and never made it to the13+ minute mark.

I sit corrected! That must have been one heck of a ride then! 😱

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

25 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Oh, I got bored with the extended orbiting of the helo and never made it to the13+ minute mark.

I sit corrected! That must have been one heck of a ride then! 😱

Yep me too, I just scrolled the video fwd until it showed the panned out shot with the runway in view.

6600 feet of rwy is probably pretty close to critical field length for a MD-87 loaded up for a 3+15 hour flight to Boston.

So we have a high-speed rejected takeoff on a fairly short runway.  Lots of things the investigators will look at here: TOLD data, calculated/actual takeoff power setting, position at start of takeoff roll, rolling or static takeoff, appropriateness of decision to reject (reason and speed vs briefed V1), timeliness of reject procedure application after the call the reject, spoiler/reverser deployment, braking application and anti-skid operation etc.  From the smoke at the accident site, it looks like they had a 5-10 kt right crosswind.

The MLG skid marks are pretty light until about 600 feet remaining (you can see that at 13:37 in the video), which has me wondering if the spoilers were deployed late...it looks like maybe they were in anti-skid braking without a lot of weight on the wheels prior to that point.

The people in that jet should consider attending church every Sunday for the rest of their lives...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Slightly better video shots on this report showing that it never got off the deck, across the airfield run off area then through a hedge probably collapsing the gear and busting the fuel tanks open for the subsequent fire. Some minor back pain among the pax, but it seems everyone everyone got out before the fire took hold, so that's good, but I assume the pilots will have some 'splainin' to do.

In other plane news, Terminal 2 at EGCC was shut down and evacuated a couple of days ago when a suspicious package was found. Although there are conflicting reports on what the package was and whether or not it was destroyed in a controlled explosion, depending on which news source you look at, I was talking to one of the X-Ray scanner guys today at the airport and he said it that it was indeed an IED which was allegedly in a suitcase due to be loaded on an Ethopian Air jet, but fortunately it was detected by one of the X-Ray scanner guys and if that's true, then well done by that operator in spotting it and it shows that we always need to be vigilant about that possibility if we work in aviation.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

On 10/20/2021 at 12:12 PM, Chock said:

I was talking to one of the X-Ray scanner guys today at the airport and he said it that it was indeed an IED which was allegedly in a suitcase due to be loaded on an Ethopian Air jet, but fortunately it was detected by one of the X-Ray scanner guys and if that's true, then well done by that operator in spotting it and it shows that we always need to be vigilant about that possibility if we work in aviation.

I worked for a major airline in the US from 1979 until 2016 when I retired. There were many times when that when through my mind when loading an aircraft. What if there happens to be an explosive in one of these bags? There are a lot of ways to die working on the ramp. That was not on my list of approved methods.

NAX669.png