Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

My stutter problem solved.

I can't find my original post now, but I complained about my sim having a slight but observable stutter, especially seen while taxing on the ground. About every 4 seconds there would be a stutter and you could also see it in the frame counter display.

I tried many of the suggestions found here and elsewhere, but could not get rid of the problem. I decided to delete the program and do a fresh download, but to make sure I was rid of any unknown bugs in my system, I did a system restore back to about three weeks ago before doing the fresh download. 

I then went to the store and did a new download of the program. When it was done, I started the sim and it said there was an update and it did just that. Again I went through the usual update process and started the sim again and again got the notice of the mandatory update and went through all that again. And again for the third time the same process happened and finally the sim started up and showed the latest version number at the top of the screen. So since I had done a restore my computer top an earlier time, namely about three weeks back, I had to go through the three downloads. This was not a big deal for me as I have a very fast internet speed.

End result is there is no more stutter. I am running at 30 FPS with everything set on ULTRA and loving it. Don't know what was wrong or when it happened, but I am very happy now.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

I feel so sorry for you.  Especially with the false hope it showed you.  I think you at the stage where you need to know if it is an attached MSFS process or a Windows background process.

Some other people solved a four second spike recently, but it was related to the third party Garmin 750 - it was solved after an update. 
Some Simconnect links have also shown issues like this in the past.  Other than that, it could be virtually anything running on your PC from security software to an errant windows process.  Some browsers can also cause this if they are left running in the background.

This isn't for the fait hearted, but it is one way to try and track it down if you are up for the fight: -

https://superuser.com/questions/453909/log-cpu-by-process-over-time

The only other simpler way I can think of it to alt-tab out of MSFS while running (set a plane on autopilot at altitude), bring up Windows Task Manager, click on the CPU usage tab to bring the top process to the top (MSFS should be at the top), then see which process spikes every four seconds - it will probably be the second one in the list after MSFS, but if it is spiking, you will need to be quick to see it, as it will immediately drop down the list after each 4-second spike. 
You will see that task manager itself will be one of those processes, using about 2%, and refreshing about once per second.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I had to turn photogammetry off for stutters I get on the ground level. Maybe this will help you.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

I feel so sorry for you.  Especially with the false hope it showed you.  I think you at the stage where you need to know if it is an attached MSFS process or a Windows background process.

Some other people solved a four second spike recently, but it was related to the third party Garmin 750 - it was solved after an update. 
Some Simconnect links have also shown issues like this in the past.  Other than that, it could be virtually anything running on your PC from security software to an errant windows process.  Some browsers can also cause this if they are left running in the background.

This isn't for the fait hearted, but it is one way to try and track it down if you are up for the fight: -

https://superuser.com/questions/453909/log-cpu-by-process-over-time

The only other simpler way I can think of it to alt-tab out of MSFS while running (set a plane on autopilot at altitude), bring up Windows Task Manager, click on the CPU usage tab to bring the top process to the top (MSFS should be at the top), then see which process spikes every four seconds - it will probably be the second one in the list after MSFS, but if it is spiking, you will need to be quick to see it, as it will immediately drop down the list after each 4-second spike. 
You will see that task manager itself will be one of those processes, using about 2%, and refreshing about once per second.

The first line is indeed MSFS and it never changes.

Not the same one always appears in the third  line. But the one most commonly seen jumping in there is called Service Host Windows Image.

Every once in a while these two are there:

Windows Audio Device Graph

Task Manager

and a few others just for an instant. 

Howard

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 69Yanks said:

I had to turn photogammetry off for stutters I get on the ground level. Maybe this will help you.

I tried that, no joy.

Howard

Post SU6, the sim is indeed stuttery for me too.  

• Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

PSA:  Zooming the Garmin map range in too much causes massive stuttering for me,  and most of the people I regularly fly with.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

PSA:  Zooming the Garmin map range in too much causes massive stuttering for me,  and most of the people I regularly fly with.  

The NXi or any Garmin?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Couple of things to try:

- Set the DPI scaling and disable fullscreen optimizations on the flightsimulator.exe All versions - How to improve the performance – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com) note: will have to revisit after DX12 is launched later this week

Reset the sim to vanilla and disable any addons (as others have mentioned, some simconnect links and even textures can cause stutters) How to restore the sim to its vanilla state – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

- In Windows Settings -> Gaming -> Captures -> disable any settings related to recording (I'm running Win 11 but should the similar under Win 10)

- In Windows Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics -> Add MSFS as an app and set it high performance

- Disable / close any power monitoring or OC tools

- Disable as many apps from autostart as possible

Also what are your system specs? Do you have a gsync / freesync display (there may be a few other options if so)?

Hope you're able to get to the bottom of this... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

Not the same one always appears in the third  line. But the one most commonly seen jumping in there is called Service Host Windows Image.

Here's some info on that: https://appuals.com/fix-windows-image-acquisition-high-cpu/

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

A reinstall of windows solved all my stuttering problems, and I'm not the only one.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

On 11/13/2021 at 4:53 PM, DylanM said:

Couple of things to try:

Hope you're able to get to the bottom of this... 

I note that passing from the Porter with the NXi and a downloaded livery to the DC-6, has apparently stopped the stutter.

The suspects in my case are then : The Porter vis-à-vis the SU6, the NXi, the Replay freeware or the added liveries (again not compatible with SU6).  I would say one of the last two, replay or liveries. Not much time to do tests, just a conjecture.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam