Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Another Air Rage incident...

AA flight diverted FA had her nose broken.  Zero and I mean ZERO excuse for this.  Punishments need to be far more severe for these incidents to prove a deterrent for further incidents.  Look, we've had diversions for years because of drunks onboard but the prevalence of attacks on flight crews, fights on board the aircraft "seem" to be ticking up exponentially.  

It's ironic we put a security guard at every Apple Store but not one on aircraft.  Is it time for a dedicated airline security service?  And no, that is not what an Air Marshall does sadly.  

Just disheartening to see this over and over... 

FAA reports 4,941 incidents in 2021 and most of that time the masses weren't even travelling.  I'm all for a security guard on board at this point.  

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/american-airlines-flight-diverted-denver/index.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

IAA has banned this person for life from flying with them. There should be a master list of these people that airlines could share, banning them from flying with anybody.

I  guess this has been proposed, but hasn't gone anywhere.

• Like 5

The FAA reported incident numbers, I suspect, are somewhat inflated due to "mask mandate" infractions.

You are correct; however, that there is no excuse for "air rage" incidents on flight crew (or other passengers for that matter).

The FAA already has authority to fine passengers up to $37K per incident...unfortunately, that is not happening routinely. This fine is outside of any civil penalty that may be incurred.

https://www.faa.gov/data_research/passengers_cargo/unruly_passengers/

Until the fines are unilaterally imposed/enforced, the problem is not going to go away.

The sad reality, and the real question...what has happened to the mental health of today's flyers (primarily in the US)? 

• Like 1

Something is broken in our society.  It's not front page news anymore when when someone with a gun shoots up a workplace or a store and kills a couple of people.  Punching out a flight attendant has become, if not routine, too prevalent.  

About the middle of the last century William Lederer wrote a book calling us A Nation of Sheep.  Have we become a nation of wolves?  

In your face confrontation is all too common.  Screaming at cashiers and store clerks because they don't have what you want is not rare.  

A couple weeks ago I went to a store to buy a new pair of shoes.  The young lady was very helpful trying to find a size that fit since I have a wide foot.  I thanked her for the help.  She told me most of the time the customer yells at her.

Where is this rage coming from?  What is this need too many of us have to lash out?  Tell me!  I don't know.

Noel

• Like 6

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I just read the article. Discussed to see it was a "man" assaulting a female F.A. No gentleman should ever lay hands on a woman - full-stop. I treat all F.A's with the utmost respect - especially more so in these difficult times. 

• Like 3

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Its the entitlement that these individuals feels they have these days.

Its all about themselves...me me me mentality.

Having working in the financial industry, customer facing roles, i have had experiences in customer yells at me and shows disrespect to me when things don't go the want they wanted.  While keeping a smiling face to them 😄 ....Of course, we do not tolerate this kind of behaviors at my workplaces, and usually this kind of customers will be handled accordingly moving forward.

While majority of them are very nice and reasonable, there are always be some bad apples.

Yeah, i think its the normal these days, the rage that people have inside themselves and its ok for them to take it on others.

Sad but true.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Something is broken in our society.  It's not front page news anymore when when someone with a gun shoots up a workplace or a store and kills a couple of people.  Punching out a flight attendant has become, if not routine, too prevalent.  

About the middle of the last century William Lederer wrote a book calling us A Nation of Sheep.  Have we become a nation of wolves?  

In your face confrontation is all too common.  Screaming at cashiers and store clerks because they don't have what you want is not rare.  

A couple weeks ago I went to a store to buy a new pair of shoes.  The young lady was very helpful trying to find a size that fit since I have a wide foot.  I thanked her for the help.  She told me most of the time the customer yells at her.

Where is this rage coming from?  What is this need too many of us have to lash out?  Tell me!  I don't know.

Noel

Similar story.  I had a lot of concrete work done at the house over the summer, the crew was baffled that I supplied them with water everyday and some days bought the entire crew lunch.  When I asked the owner how much the guys usually get tipped for a few weeks of back breaking labor in 100 degree heat he literally laughed and said "Forget about a tip, they don't even get a thank you"    I was baffled and simultaneously so saddened... Appreciation is a thing of the past 😞  

When I was in hospital it was amazing how what I thought was common manners seem to be lost by people speaking to the staff.  It's not just flight attendants to your point.  After I was discharged we sent an edible arrangements to the entire 5-South nursing staff from "the fainter"   They looked up my cell phone from my contact information and called in tears to say thank you.  

My wife and I make a habit this time of year to ensure there is a box on our front porch with snack bags/ candy/ granola bars and water for the delivery people. 

It's amazing how far a simple gesture goes in someone else's day. 

• Like 4

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Take the airplane down to 8000 feet, open the door and toss the offender out. Once word gets out the lunatics will stop. I know, too extreme. Spoken as a retired airline employee who ran into his share of abusive flyers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

NAX669.png

We keep a bowl of hard candy on the coffee table in the living room to snack on while watching television.  A few weeks ago we were having trouble with the cable and the service guy from the cable company came out and replaced the cable to that set.  He asked if he could he could take a piece of the candy as he was leaving.  I told him to take a handful.  He did and said, "Thanks, I love these things."

Noel

• Like 3

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Allegheny Michael?  That's another fallen flag.

Years ago in the earlier days of the space program an astronaut was asked which pilots made the best astronauts; Air Force or Navy?  He said neither.  He said Allegheny Airline pilots.

Noel

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Allegheny Michael?  That's another fallen flag.

Years ago in the earlier days of the space program an astronaut was asked which pilots made the best astronauts; Air Force or Navy?  He said neither.  He said Allegheny Airline pilots.

Noel

Allegheny/ US Air/ US Airways / American  I started in 1979 with Allegheny in Cleveland and retired just after the merger with American in DFW. In 36 years I saw a lot of ugly incidents but nothing like the insanity we're seeing now. It's only been recently that the airlines have started to prosecute these people that physically abuse their employees. It's way too late and the punishments aren't harsh enough.

Edited by mwilk
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

NAX669.png

I think it starts with people constantly being told that they are being persecuted and their rights and freedoms are being taken away.

and its perpetuated by the lack of justice/punishment.

and there is definitely a 'me, me ,me' quality about it...and people in too much of a hurry to think twice.

a spirit of war is upon us at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I think any disruption of in-flight airline operations should result in a minimum of 90 days in a Federal facility, or at the very least, 90 days of house arrest with an ankle bracelet... 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

I think any disruption of in-flight airline operations should result in a minimum of 90 days in a Federal facility, or at the very least, 90 days of house arrest with an ankle bracelet...

And a hefty fine...one that will hurt.

Noel

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, birdguy said:

And a hefty fine...one that will hurt.

Noel

This flight had to divert. I had heard that some airlines had sued the offender for the cost of diverting the aircraft, (landing fees, fuel,etc.) That's major dollars. I think a ban on flying on any airline would be appropriate.

• Like 4

NAX669.png