Sign in to follow this  
MisirkovMK1903

Questions about FS2020 (Coming from X-Plane)

Hello Avsim members, I have a few questions being new to FS 2020 but not new to flight sims.

First question, while making a flight plan on the World Map section of MSFS, I cannot find the 'ENE' VOR (Kennebunk). It simply does not come up as a choosable waypoint, it is in the U.S. And I understand the nav data is updated regularly correct? 

Next question, it seems that the combination of flying with the fly by wire A320 ( A32nx fbw simulations) and Live traffic, It manages to always crash the sim to desktop. Is there any solution for this? Thank you.

I don't fly a lot of airliners but for the FBW, the more realistic way would be to enter the waypoints in the MCDU - I'm sure you'd find ENE in the database.  Although it's possible it was leftout as a bug.  MSFS also accepts Navigraph if you have a subscription from XP.

Not sure about the CTD.  I'd suggest joining their Discord and ask over there: https://discord.com/invite/flybywire

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The ENE VOR is indeed in MSFS. I made a screen capture, along with GPS coordinates.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0-PugHJxZdA8PB3f1XY8x4Reg

• Like 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

The nav data is world wide and updated regularly (not exactly on cycle though).  The FBW is a aircraft that is still under development therefore you could encounter CTDs from time to time.  It's unique in the fact that they are letting us fly it as they make regular progress during development, so things may go wrong from time to time as they add things. 

The CRJ by Aerosoft is the closest thing we have right now to a full featured payware transport category aircraft.  PMDG and FENIX seem fairly close to releasing their 737 and A320 respectively as far as truly full featured or 'study level' aircraft go.  I think we might see these 2 around late first or second quarter of next year as the sim itself is just now starting to make rapid progress in terms of new features and bug fixes.  This is causing developers to revamp the stuff they already did and most likely add stuff they couldn't before.

The sim itself is finally starting to come into its own.  We'll see the start of the newly revamped weather system in the next update later this month along with other cool stuff.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

I've never had a CTD with the A320 FBW. I use the development version so you could try switching the version you are using. Do you have any liveries for this aircraft installed? If yes try removing those.

Edited by sanh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MisirkovMK1903 said:

First question, while making a flight plan on the World Map section of MSFS, I cannot find the 'ENE' VOR (Kennebunk). It simply does not come up as a choosable waypoint, it is in the U.S. And I understand the nav data is updated regularly correct? 

By default, the world map does not show all the navaids. Open the filters at the bottom of the world map screen and turn navaids on.

Note: Next time you start MSFS, the navaids filter will be turned off again. There is a mod available on Flightsim.to that will keep it turned on each time you start MSFS (can also configure other filters as on or off).

...jim

• Like 3

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

3 hours ago, JimBrown said:

By default, the world map does not show all the navaids. Open the filters at the bottom of the world map screen and turn navaids on.

Note: Next time you start MSFS, the navaids filter will be turned off again. There is a mod available on Flightsim.to that will keep it turned on each time you start MSFS (can also configure other filters as on or off).

...jim

This is maybe what it is. I will try it out this evening. Thank you!

9 hours ago, sanh said:

I've never had a CTD with the A320 FBW. I use the development version so you could try switching the version you are using. Do you have any liveries for this aircraft installed? If yes try removing those.

Hi, I didn't opt to download the dev version, only the 'stable' release. I have no custom liveries on it.

Never had a CTD wih the FBW A320NX other than when MS/ASOBO Borked SU5' and was quickly fixed by the FBW team quickly.

Edited by Car147

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

14 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I don't fly a lot of airliners but for the FBW, the more realistic way would be to enter the waypoints in the MCDU - I'm sure you'd find ENE in the database.  Although it's possible it was leftout as a bug.  MSFS also accepts Navigraph if you have a subscription from XP.

Not sure about the CTD.  I'd suggest joining their Discord and ask over there: https://discord.com/invite/flybywire

Yes, I do it in the MCDU but I have to also first do it in the World Map in MSFS so ATC will work properly and not harass me lol, especially about planned cruise flight level.

Also, keep in mind that MS Nav Data is not complete.  I was actually quite surprised on the sheer quantity and quality the Navigraph brings to the table.  It is discussed in THIS thread.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

1 hour ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Also, keep in mind that MS Nav Data is not complete.  I was actually quite surprised on the sheer quantity and quality the Navigraph brings to the table.  It is discussed in THIS thread.

Yes I agree, their stuff is good, but it's good because it's payware. I'm not a fan of having to pay for nav data tbh, especially as a non-commerical flightsim hobbyist. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JimBrown said:

...jim

No go!! I did manage to find the filter (hard to find) and turned on Navaids. When I have flight plan as 'high altitude ifr' set, and search ENE, it returns 100 search results and most of them airports. I have an example KEWR-CYQX plan set. I tried turning off the airports in the filter but it does not change the search results. Is ENE so generic that it is returning too many results and it just cuts the list short? I also typed in 'kennebunk' in the search and still does not find ENE in it. word not allowed this shouldn't be that hard.

23 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

The CRJ by Aerosoft is the closest thing we have right now to a full featured payware transport category aircraft. 

The CRJ and the DC6 are definitely the pick of the two current payware airliners.

The CRJ has a bonus of directly importing Simbrief flight plans if your too lazy to program the FMS manually.

12 hours ago, MisirkovMK1903 said:

Hi, I didn't opt to download the dev version, only the 'stable' release. I have no custom liveries on it.

Download the Dev version. The stable release may not be updated to be compatible with SU6 and may be causing CTDs.  Usually, the dev versions of FBW have been updated to be compatible with the latest MSFS update.

To track your CTD, remove all add-ons in your Community folder and even anything you purchased in the MSFS marketplace (because MSFS marketplace purchases are add-ons too).  This includes removing the FBW A320.  Do a flight in the default A320 that comes with MSFS.  If it doesn't crash, add each add-on back 1 by 1, and fly again, until you consistently CTD, and you will have pinpointed the add-on that is causing the CTD.

And if you have overclocked hardware, it could also be causing the CTD.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM