Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

2 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

What do you mean? There are legit reasons to stick with P3D.

I think Dan meant he was going to stay with the current version i.e. no specific move to v6 in mind at this time.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

My future with P3D:

I was one of the first to buy the MAX from iFly. If I want to use the plane (which I like a lot) I will have to install 5.4 (nothing against it, except for the almost non-existent antialiasing).

I can't switch to v6 with no guarantee of compatibility with my addons. I'll wait for the end of NDA to know what FSLabs and PMDG really think (Majestic has been compatible for a while now...). Ah, don't forget ASP3D!

I can't (and don't want to) switch to MSFS when a new version comes out in a few months.

So... 5.4 for me, apparently...

• Upvote 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

3 hours ago, d.tsakiris said:

What do you mean? There are legit reasons to stick with P3D.

Maybe for you, but not for me. The longer I use this sim, the worse the scenery is looking, although it remains the same. I think the expectations rise with time and the look of today and what's the development (v6) are not meeting my expectations any longer.

Since 11 years I'm flying with P3D and had a lot of expectations. Some came true, others not. Even though I know how to mod scenery and models of this sim, and I had a lot of fun modding airports and planes in recent years, I think I come to an end with it. 32 years of flightsimming, always not completely satisfied, is enough. And now, a new version almost the same as before but some addons going to be broken, is no perspective for the future.

• Like 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

3 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

I can't (and don't want to) switch to MSFS when a new version comes out in a few months.

I don't really want to switch to MSFS either. I am a big AI guy, and I don't like the fact that you can't install AI manually in MSFS. I have tons of AI installed (all done manually) and most of it I would not be able to install in MSFS because the models do not work in MSFS. So for now I am sticking with P3D (I haven't decided if it will be v5.4 or v6).

Edit: I don't like the fact you can't modify airport AFCADs either in MSFS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

Since 11 years I'm flying with P3D and had a lot of expectations. Some came true, others not. Even though I know how to mod scenery and models of this sim, and I had a lot of fun modding airports and planes in recent years, I think I come to an end with it. 32 years of flightsimming, always not completely satisfied, is enough. And now, a new version almost the same as before but some addons going to be broken, is no perspective for the future.

I started flying in FlightGear flight simulator in 2014. In 2019 I took Prepar3D. And to this day with all them ORBX terrain sceneries I have I still enjoy it, because this is enough for me. Those people with preconceive expectations are always dissapointed. Because you never get enough. Well, people like me are getting enough from my sim. You don't need much to feel happy. Which is why P3D will always have a future, since this is enough for me. 

I do not understand what so much you need to get your hands on the plane and fly it among the sim the way you want. Also Prepar3D is highly customizible and you can do whatever you want in it. For example SimDirector, where you can create autogen for free. Also the amount of scenery modifications in the config file. Not to mention the fully scaled SDK and the large amount of resources to learn how to create anything you want in it. I am atm trying to create my own sceneries and this is a blissful time. So instead of complaining about that the company " did not give you enough" how about you learn to create on your own? There is so many resources. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blaunarwal said:

Maybe for you, but not for me.

Of course, everyone has a different angle.

1 hour ago, blaunarwal said:

Since 11 years I'm flying with P3D and had a lot of expectations. Some came true, others not. Even though I know how to mod scenery and models of this sim, and I had a lot of fun modding airports and planes in recent years, I think I come to an end with it. 32 years of flightsimming, always not completely satisfied, is enough.

I know how you feel! The problem is that the expectations rise with the advancement. While simming in the late 90ies, I was happy with an add-on scenery if the taxiways had yellow lines... But even today, there's no use looking for perfection. No sim has it all, and it's always going to be like that.

That said, I think a lot of people here are judging V6 only by the (not-so-great) trailer video. A few have found some nuggets in the list of new features.

• Like 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

7 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

A few have found some nuggets in the list of new features.

Where is this list?

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

38 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Where is this list?

The list can be found in the official P3D trailer vid on their website in the Announcements section.

It shows some visuals and one-liner statements on new features,but really doesn't go into details about what has changed.

The P3D press release identifies 4 highlights related to lighting/shadows, new atmospheric model (is this again different form EA is my question?), streamlined update process, improvements to airports (models, lighting etc).

Note the latter does not mention improvements in other scenery areas such as land class, autogen etc.

So, in summary, there is limited info about what v6 really offers and how it differs from v5. I guess we need to be patient and learn more from both P3D and the developer community as to how this will roll out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

1 hour ago, d.tsakiris said:

That said, I think a lot of people here are judging V6 only by the (not-so-great) trailer video. A few have found some nuggets in the list of new features.

Sure we have to wait and see. But I will not be a first day buyer anymore, even though some nuggets may appear. 

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

On 6/26/2023 at 1:03 AM, Juliet Alpha said:

Out of curiosity, why?  Are there reasons, other than lots of money already spent on P3D addons or having to learn or install something new.

1 hour ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Out of curiosity, why?  Are there reasons, other than lots of money already spent on P3D addons or having to learn or install something new.

A lot of IFR functionality is still missing, even worse AI implementation than P3D and It's uncertain it will be fixed. I don't like the fact that you are inevitable regulated by Microsoft Servers all the way, especially the scenery loading (and I have not enough bandwidth for that anyway).

brgds, Ron

Flying P3Dv5 with PMDG 737 NGXu, 747v3, 777; QW 787; Orbx; Chaseplane, AI Lights Reborn Pro, Lots of AI, AIController

Visit www.airlinesim.aero

1 hour ago, Matt Sdeel said:

I am speaking for myself here...

Because the flying is horrible....so unstable in pitch. That's a big reason.

Edited by fnav77
  • Like 1

Visit my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/Captain Nav

Follow me live on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/captainnav

4 hours ago, Matt Sdeel said:

The fact that I have almost the entire fleet of PMDG's NGXu (with EFB).

Same thing the FSLabs A32X fleet (again, with EFB).

Majestic Q400.

iFly 737 MAX.

Already have A2A's Comanche 250.

ASP3D Historical Weather.

Dozens of airports bought over the years plus OrbX Global Range products.

AI Traffic + this

Chaseplane!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Juliet Alpha
  • Like 1