Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

@Juliet Alpha That is the smart play. I have long since cut down my fleet to GA Flying in the Realair Legacy and the Vertx DA-62. I may get the V6 if those to will continue to work and otherwise V5.4 is setting on my hard drive just dying to get in the game.👍

Edited by shivers9
  • Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Well I think with the announcement of PMDG et al. and hints at FSL the journey with P3D and jumping to the next flightsim level is over as I will definitively not make the switch to the Xbox game, anytime. I will not spend any money in payware anymore as well.

We should and can enjoy v4/v5 for some years to come. But I have to admit my motivation to spend time into the sim and community is zeroed out for now. Frustrated, sad and angry.

• Upvote 1

brgds, Ron

Flying P3Dv5 with PMDG 737 NGXu, 747v3, 777; QW 787; Orbx; Chaseplane, AI Lights Reborn Pro, Lots of AI, AIController

Visit www.airlinesim.aero

I am seriously dissapointed for PMDG and FSLabs dropping their support for v6 for now. This is really a cross road to all P3D users to me, because those planes represent some of the most powerful add-on's we have in our sim. I understand that MSFS needs to get them, so people there to enjoy them as well, but a simple registry trick shows any plane of PMDG can be imported in v6 without problem. Which means that the amount of work for those companies to get P3D v6 compatible is small. They just need to update the registry of their installers for v6. This is not a good transition. I mean, we will wait PMDG to import their 747 [ which might take years] so they can consider helping P3d v6 users with their beloved planes. 

I am dissapointed. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ronaldo1978 said:

Xbox game

Pro tip: it's compatible with Windows 10/11 personal computing systems as well. Just thought I'd pass that helpful hint along! 👍  👍   👍   👍   👍 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PavlinS said:

I am seriously dissapointed for PMDG and FSLabs dropping their support for v6 for now. This is really a cross road to all P3D users to me, because those planes represent some of the most powerful add-on's we have in our sim. I understand that MSFS needs to get them, so people there to enjoy them as well, but a simple registry trick shows any plane of PMDG can be imported in v6 without problem. Which means that the amount of work for those companies to get P3D v6 compatible is small. They just need to update the registry of their installers for v6. This is not a good transition. I mean, we will wait PMDG to import their 747 [ which might take years] so they can consider helping P3d v6 users with their beloved planes. 

I am dissapointed. 

No guarantees they will continue to support P3D.  They have to do what is financially responsible for them as a company, and I can't get upset about that.  I'm going to lock in to 5.4 for now, may peek at v6 in the future once the workarounds are tested and finalized.  Way to many add-ons I like to screw around experimental testing in V6.

Kie Simpson

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 1:51 PM, chapstick said:

Pro tip: it's compatible with Windows 10/11 personal computing systems as well. Just thought I'd pass that helpful hint along! 👍  👍   👍   👍   👍 

Well yes. It's "just" compatible with Win10+ but developed as a console game and adapted into PC. That's why of some of the limitations are there (e.g. not fully IFR functionality like P3D). And that's why I call it a console game and not a simulator.

brgds, Ron

Flying P3Dv5 with PMDG 737 NGXu, 747v3, 777; QW 787; Orbx; Chaseplane, AI Lights Reborn Pro, Lots of AI, AIController

Visit www.airlinesim.aero

30 minutes ago, Ronaldo1978 said:

Well yes. It's "just" compatible with Win10+ but developed as a console game and adapted into PC. That's why of some of the limitations are there (e.g. not fully IFR functionality like P3D). And that's why I call it a console game and not a simulator.

In what way is IFR functionality lacking in MSFS? I have flown the PMDG 737 in P3D and in MSFS and from what I can tell there is no difference in functionality.

I hate that all these threads just turn in to MSFS vs. P3D but when people make these ridiculous inflammatory statements it only invites "Well actually my sim DOES have this!", and then the arguments start, and the cycle continues.

All of these threads on The future of P3D, the release of P3Dv6, Dev statements on P3Dv6 all say the same thing: If you're happy with p3D, then V5.4 is the end of the road. You'll still get a new concorde soon, you'll still have all your current addons and scenery. V6 is not the future of P3D, and that becomes clearer every day.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

56 minutes ago, Stavros said:

In what way is IFR functionality lacking in MSFS? I have flown the PMDG 737 in P3D and in MSFS and from what I can tell there is no difference in functionality.

I hate that all these threads just turn in to MSFS vs. P3D but when people make these ridiculous inflammatory statements it only invites "Well actually my sim DOES have this!", and then the arguments start, and the cycle continues.

All of these threads on The future of P3D, the release of P3Dv6, Dev statements on P3Dv6 all say the same thing: If you're happy with p3D, then V5.4 is the end of the road. You'll still get a new concorde soon, you'll still have all your current addons and scenery. V6 is not the future of P3D, and that becomes clearer every day.

Yes, I agree. But to extrapolate further, that means there IS no future for P3D. That means it’s officially dead for home simmers. Cause 5.4 isn’t going to look any more fresh with time. XP12 managed to look great. That meant they get to stay as a viable platform. V6 may look better (too early to tell without personal experience yet), but this effectively means only flying default aircraft. At least X-PLANE bothered with putting in some new aircraft. P3D 5.4 still has that gnarly Carenado Commander where you can’t even read half the stuff… like labels on the GPS unit…. And when you turn up the lights at night on the ceiling, the dashboard remains pitch black (outsides of the gauges being illuminated from within by a separate switch)… it’s so stuck in the past, it’s pretty embarrassing at this point. I don’t know if they improved that aircraft for V6 but… it still leaves V6 with only the Q400 as an officially supported add-on. What’s even more embarrassing is that LM’s P3D site has a section called Developer Network and it talks about a robust support from “multitude” of developers and then has the logos of practically EVERYONE who already left a while ago - Aerosoft, MilViz, something called Alabeo (which I think was a branch of Carenado that I am not sure even exists anymore)… it’s bad. P3D is over for home simmers. Its only application is military and commercial contracts, which I guess IS the focus anyway.

• Like 5

As others have pointed out, the overwhelming majority of LM's funding flows directly from the US federal government. LM is therefore a quasi-government institution itself and, as such, suffers the same inefficiencies, stagnant bureaucracy, lackluster work product, slipshod work-ethic, and depersonalized "service" as its fellow government office, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Because of this tight relationship between government and LM, P3D has become the DMV of flight simulators.

• Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

4 minutes ago, David Mills said:

As others have pointed out, the overwhelming majority of LM's funding flows directly from the US federal government. LM is therefore a quasi-government institution itself and, as such, suffers the same inefficiencies, stagnant bureaucracy, lackluster work product, slipshod work-ethic, and depersonalized "service" as its fellow government office, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Because of this tight relationship between government and LM, P3D has become the DMV of flight simulators.

As someone who's bet their life over and over by climbing into LM's so-called "lackluster work products" and heading off into harm's way, I'm not letting that kind of lazy, slack-jawed demonization pass without pushback.

P3D serves LM's intended purpose, which of course is training, not to please you or I in our capacity as home flight sim enthusiasts.  It's in use right now training real-world pilots in the USAF and in professional flight school settings worldwide.  And to be clear, a DMV's purpose is not catering to someone who rides up to the window on their tricycle whining that their horn doesn't work right.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 7

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

OK, this thread has been wallowing about for 20 months now, and hasn't really taken us anywhere.  Time to close it up.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case