Sign in to follow this  
Rudiii

Abrupt Weather Changes?

Not seen a thread or much discussion on this so hoping to get some insight.

Loaded up the sim for an hour after SU7 and mostly things went well. I was trying out the FA/18 over China Lake and out towards LA.

As I was approaching LA, the haze and fog looked great in the distance but unfortunately when I reached the haze/fog it really suddenly changed and the entire area was foggy including the area I had just come from which had no fog previously.

I then looped around and headed for LAX and once on approach, an abrupt change happened again; this time from low visibility/fog/haze to perfect clear skies.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be due to the servers being completely rammed? Or maybe due to me flying such a fast aircraft between weather stations/airports/areas?

I really hope abrupt weather changes are not the latest issue to contend with.

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

3 minutes ago, Rudiii said:

Not seen a thread or much discussion on this so hoping to get some insight.

Loaded up the sim for an hour after SU7 and mostly things went well. I was trying out the FA/18 over China Lake and out towards LA.

As I was approaching LA, the haze and fog looked great in the distance but unfortunately when I reached the haze/fog it really suddenly changed and the entire area was foggy including the area I had just come from which had no fog previously.

I then looped around and headed for LAX and once on approach, an abrupt change happened again; this time from low visibility/fog/haze to perfect clear skies.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be due to the servers being completely rammed? Or maybe due to me flying such a fast aircraft between weather stations/airports/areas?

I really hope abrupt weather changes are not the latest issue to contend with.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/weather-transition-is-not-smooth-after-su7/472467/14

• Like 1

WAT1460.png

20 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Thanks, search only brought up threads from August last year for me, somehow.

Less people discussing it than I expected for something as immersion breaking as this. Especially as the 10SM issue seems to be far more discussed and I wouldn't have even realised that one!

• Like 4

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

33 minutes ago, Rudiii said:

Less people discussing it than I expected for something as immersion breaking as this. Especially as the 10SM issue seems to be far more discussed and I wouldn't have even realised that one!

Probably because several similar threads are scattered everywhere.  Here's another >> https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/u-s-metar-visibility-incorrect-at-most-airports/472609

• Like 2

WAT1460.png

I did a short hop from LFBO to LFBD in the CRJ at FL180.

Fog was forecast for both airports. All good at LFBO and nice to climb up through the fog layer to on top.

However cruising along areas of fog form almost instantly right in front of you. You fly over one area and then another pops in. I didn’t check but assume they will be near airports with METARs.

Same on approach to LFBD. It was certainly more abrupt then what I was expecting. 

I think it will be a amazing once Asobo have had more time to fine tune it but for now it is jarring.

At least they gave us a heads up that it still had warts on it.

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

I had the same approaching LSZH (Zurich) this morning, the change was very abrupt! It is better than before though and will hopefully improve again with the next update, the haze is certainly a huge improvement!

• Like 1

i9-11900k@5.1ghz | MSI Rtx3080ti 12gb | 32gb DDR4 Ram 3600mhz | 1Tb M.2 SSD | 4K LG C1 48" TV | Asus Tuf Gaming VG27AQ 27"  | Corsair iCUE H100i  Liquid Cooler |

Same doing a circuit from and back to Lugano, sudden transition into dense haze then back to clear with few in the distance, then dense haze popped in on approach.

On the other hand the haze was really well done, best I’ve ever seen in a flight sim. Just needs work smoothing…

• Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

It absolutely looks better visually. I really do hope they can iron out the abrupt changes specifically.

I do wish there was a way to have dynamic weather presets for the time being as opposed to static presets. I'll have to see how much of a pain this will be over the coming months.

• Like 3

This is what happens when you re-introduce the old station based weather system without figuring out how to interpolate between the forecast model and the METAR reports.

I consider this a work in progress.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Farlis said:

This is what happens when you re-introduced the old station based weather system without figuring out how to interpolate between the forecast model and the METAR reports.

I consider this a work in progress.

This ^

The challenge with interpolation is how to do it, without bogging down our computers. This is a nontrivial computational burden that involves both distance and time. It's not only flying between stations, but also watching what happens when new weather observations become available. I have been jumping around various airports that are shown as being IFR or LIFR on Skyvector. The weather depiction is simply outstanding. If Asobo stuck with the original "smooth" weather model provided by Meteoblue, the interpolation problem is obviated both in time and space, but we all wanted METAR-based weather. So they gave it to us. This introduces transitions. Resolving that one will take a lot of additional effort.

• Like 4

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

This may be a case of, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

• Like 6

NAX669.png

25 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

we all wanted METAR-based weather.

I don’t believe that’s true at all.  Personally I only needed a reliable way to read the existing predictive weather model conditions at any given airport.  Whether or not that corresponded 100% to real world METAR conditions was irrelevant to me.  I think Asobo misinterpreted the underlying intent of what was being requested, and thereby made the solution way more complex than it needed to be.

• Like 2

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

I'm also not sure if "we all" wanted METAR weather.

What I wanted was somewhat reliable depiction of current real world conditions, which are reported in METAR reports hourly but also through various predictive and observational weather models.

It's about what data to use, how to interpret it and then how to inject it into the sim. 

The most important thing that needed, and probably still needs to be adressed, is proper visibility depiction. Whether it is humidity, fog or clouds, smog or smoke that influences it, the most important thing is that the sim shows the real world current conditions and not some approximation where the visibility is completely different and rain might or might not happen. 

I don't need every raincell to be reflected down to the kilometer, but, considering that radar can show where precipitation is live, globally, I expect something similar in the sim, if Meteoblue provides such data.

How this is achieved is up to ASOBO. But it is important that it is achieved.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

I don’t believe that’s true at all.  Personally I only needed a reliable way to read the existing predictive weather model conditions at any given airport.  Whether or not that corresponded 100% to real world METAR conditions was irrelevant to me.  I think Asobo misinterpreted the underlying intent of what was being requested, and thereby made the solution way more complex than it needed to be.

Sadly, you (we) are in the minority. The vast majority of devoted simmers wanted METAR accurate WX. Many for Vatsim, others for VNAV and WX reports, and so if winds were reported as 090/09, many had a problem if it were 085/05.

And so the solution is what we got, but in my opinion it came at the price of realism. I didn't care if winds didn't match the real world, I cared about the realism of the system, and in my opinion we lost that. 

Weather popping is here to stay, because the alternative is inaccurate ATIS reports.

• Like 5

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

36 minutes ago, mwilk said:

This may be a case of, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

I wish I had been a louder voice in pushing for a switch to turn METAR on and off. 

It's obviously popular and needed for the people who plan ahead and use things like VATSIM so the feature is very welcome.

But my personal taste makes me wish I could just use the forecast model while others still have access to the METAR injection model.

• Like 7