Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

Putting the current version to a rest

Hello all,

first of all, normally I am not one of all these complainers and bashing people. I have had quite a lot of enjoying hours with this sim. But this today was a bit too much. I will put the current version of MSFS to a rest at least until a hotfix for the most urgent issues is out.

I just had a flight with the Baron B58 from LEMI to LEIB in southeastern Spain, IFR lower levels. Live time, live weather. Yes, I verified my settings before flight to make sure that no setting were reset to "easy" or something else. It all started well until rolling to the runway, when I already noticed a slight tendency of the rudder to the left. But that might be due to wind I thought. Until I began my fast roll on the runway. It was almost not controllable at all, the plane went randomly left and right. Somehow I made it in the air. So far so good, being on a GFS flight plan I set my autopilot to NAV mode. Shortly after that I noticed on my PFD, that the CDI mode was switched to VOR2 (wich was not in use). And it was stuck to that, I tried everything to switch it back to GPS mode, but it did not work. I just gave up and went on with my climb, when ATC told me to climb and maintain 15000 (instead of the 6000 I put in the flight plan. So ok, I already got used to those kind of ATC problems and requested a flight level change 8000 feet below. That lead to a request of "-2000" feet. So the ATC window logic thought I would be at the filed 6000 feet, but the virtual controller thought I was at 15.000. So I went on to 15.000 when I was told to descend and maintain 9.000. Not knowing where this number came from I did as requested, before I was asked again to climb to 15.000. I wish there was a "unable" option in the menu. So I just ignored that and got hammered with "expedite your climb" calls for the rest of the flight. When reaching my destination airport (as somehow expected) my plane did a sudden sharp turn to the left on the runway on touchdown that put the plane on it's side and in the grass next to the runway.

Conclusion: I am a software developer myself, and I clearly know about the daily business of creating and dealing with bugs. But this was a bit too much, especially when thinking about how long this product is already out. That has been the most buggy flight since the very early times of the new MSFS. Not really enjoyable, especially if rolling on the runways seems to be completely broken for me now since the last update. How can all this not be seen during testing?

That was really frustrating. Sorry, could not resist to share my frustration this time. Hopefully all this will be sorted out as soon as possible.

• Like 3

First of all, we all know the Default ATC is garbage, so anything that happens with it is not surprising. The takeoff issue could be just the aircraft, I fly about 15 hours a week, and not seeing any takeoff problems, and I do not use the default ATC. For me, MSFS is excellent. 

• Like 9

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Frustrations vary widely among us simmers. You being a programmer, your frustrations could be doubly befuddling compared to most of the rest of us. Bobsk8 has it right. Native ATC is garbage. I abandoned it entirely months and months ago and that enhanced my experience rather than detracting. Take some time away from MSFS 2020. I do that from time to time. It helps. Then go from there.

United001

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

I just bought the GOTY edition, and as a simmer for the last 35 years, I am disappointed....appalled really, at how rubbish MSFS is. I waited over a year hoping most of the bugs would get worked out, but other than the stunning visuals, this is not a serious sim. I guess the fact that it was designed as a game for a console should have been a clue.... Oh, well, back to P3D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N314SC said:

I just bought the GOTY edition, and as a simmer for the last 35 years, I am disappointed....appalled really, at how rubbish MSFS is. I waited over a year hoping most of the bugs would get worked out, but other than the stunning visuals, this is not a serious sim. I guess the fact that it was designed as a game for a console should have been a clue.... Oh, well, back to P3D.

MSFS is not serious sim if you not a serious simmer LOL You guys all playing games all along whether it P3D, DCS, or X-plane. "Game" can only become "sim" if you treat it like one.  

• Like 21
  • Upvote 5

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

9 minutes ago, united001 said:

Frustrations vary widely among us simmers. You being a programmer, your frustrations could be doubly befuddling compared to most of the rest of us. Bobsk8 has it right. Native ATC is garbage. I abandoned it entirely months and months ago and that enhanced my experience rather than detracting. Take some time away from MSFS 2020. I do that from time to time. It helps. Then go from there.

United001

Completely agree, I either fly without ATC or with Pilot2ATC.

Same in MSFS and P3D....... One for visuals and one for IFR / PMDG !

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

theres something very wrong with the winds at the moment.  You can't trust the windsocks.  you can't trust the reported winds.  and it also seems as though the sim uses much stronger forces while you are on the ground than when you are flying.

On one of my recent flights that covered only about 140 nm, my departure airport had light winds out of the east and my destination had light winds out of the east but yet an airport just 40 miles south of my destination apparently had a strong and steady north wind that caused my plane to weathervane sharply and veer off the runway.

but I've had several flights since that one that were more in line with reality and I've enjoyed almost all of my flights.  ATC is broken and just shouldnt be used at the moment.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

34 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I just had a flight with the Baron B58 from LEMI to LEIB in southeastern Spain, IFR lower levels. Live time, live weather. Yes, I verified my settings before flight to make sure that no setting were reset to "easy" or something else. It all started well until rolling to the runway, when I already noticed a slight tendency of the rudder to the left. But that might be due to wind I thought. Until I began my fast roll on the runway. It was almost not controllable at all, the plane went randomly left and right. Somehow I made it in the air. So far so good, being on a GFS flight plan I set my autopilot to NAV mode. Shortly after that I noticed on my PFD, that the CDI mode was switched to VOR2 (wich was not in use). And it was stuck to that, I tried everything to switch it back to GPS mode, but it did not work. I just gave up and went on with my climb, when ATC told me to climb and maintain 15000 (instead of the 6000 I put in the flight plan. So ok, I already got used to those kind of ATC problems and requested a flight level change 8000 feet below. That lead to a request of "-2000" feet. So the ATC window logic thought I would be at the filed 6000 feet, but the virtual controller thought I was at 15.000. So I went on to 15.000 when I was told to descend and maintain 9.000. Not knowing where this number came from I did as requested, before I was asked again to climb to 15.000. I wish there was a "unable" option in the menu. So I just ignored that and got hammered with "expedite your climb" calls for the rest of the flight. When reaching my destination airport (as somehow expected) my plane did a sudden sharp turn to the left on the runway on touchdown that put the plane on it's side and in the grass next to the runway.

Please help me to name a sim where ATC is perfect because I can't recall one! I do remember some ATC addon that I used over years there were more or less better. When I used to fly P3D and X-plane I never used stock ATC. Do not use ATC or signup to PilotEdge and get ATC as real as it gets!

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

To the OP:

Yep... This isn't  yet a sim where you can fully depend on with 100% reliability and stability. I learned that the hard way as an IT admin that oversees development of software for Healthcare related applications.. Different industry, different expectations of service uptime and reliability thats literally built into contract. So after being excited and 110% invested in the sim financially and emotionally I started  ranting and raving after the initial updates about poor project management and horrible QA but upon reflection me getting angry  would change nothing on the developers part  so  i simply changed My expectations to fit the situation. Granted the sim mostly works for me in the last couple of updates but if i encounter a showstopper like the poor souls who have Track IR im just going to find something else to do until they get it fixed. Not even getting mad about it.. just use it if it works and if it doesn't have something else on hand to do. Getting mad is not worth it.

Hoping you enjoy your weekend

Cheers

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

11 minutes ago, N314SC said:

I went back to P3D which I had flown for many years, for a few weeks, while my new PC was being repaired. P3D was horrible, after flying MSFS. Sure, MSFS has a few problems, but going back to P3D for me, was like going back to a 15" Black and white TV. And P3D without hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of add ons, is not acceptable. Lets face it, P3D is FS9 with lipstick. 

For ATC I fly 100% of the time with PF3. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

MSFS is not serious sim if you not a serious simmer LOL You guys all playing games all along whether it P3D, DCS, or X-plane. "Game" can only become "sim" if you treat it like one.  

This i agree with.. The outlandish comments about serious sim we can all do without.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

4 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Please help me to name a sim where ATC is perfect because I can't recall one! I do remember some ATC addon that I used over years there were more or less better. When I used to fly P3D and X-plane I never used stock ATC. Do not use ATC or signup to PilotEdge and get ATC as real as it gets!

PIlot Edge is expensive, and restricts one to flying in a goldfish bowl area of the West USA. No Europe, No Canada, No South America, etc. etc.    $329 a year... Not for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I went back to P3D which I had flown for many years, for a few weeks, while my new PC was being repaired. P3D was horrible, after flying MSFS. Sure, MSFS has a few problems, but going back to P3D for me, was like going back to a 15" Black on white TV. And P3D without hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of add ons, is not acceptable. Lets face it, P3D is FS9 with lipstick. 

More like thousands and thousands.....and I'm sure a hefty investment in add-ons for MSFS will eventually apply enough lipstick for it to become acceptable, too.

Edited by N314SC
Puctuation error

1 minute ago, N314SC said:

More like thousands, and thousands.....and I'm sure a hefty investment in add-ons for MSFS will eventually apply enough lipstick for it to become acceptable, too.

Yes, I was being very conservative with my cost to dress up P3D a bit. I spent many times that amount, and it still didn't look good. 

2 minutes ago, N314SC said:

More like thousands, and thousands.....and I'm sure a hefty investment in add-ons for MSFS will eventually apply enough lipstick for it to become acceptable, too.

I have spent less than $100 on MSFS, plus a few aircraft. That is it, and it looks great. If you don't think it is acceptable, which sim do you think is better? 

• Like 1