Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Roland Laborie Canadair CL-215 now on Marketplace

New release on SimMarket today of Roland Laborie's Canadair CL-215 firefighting plane.

His previous MSFS Vought Crusader didn't excite me and at $32.40 inc tax it's a bit too expensive to buy without seeing reviews first but it does look interesting at least so I'd be curious to know what anyone who does pick it up makes of it.

https://secure.simmarket.com/roland-laborie-cl-215-msfs.phtml

• Like 2

I did pick this up and I just did a 10 minutes flight so far It's not bad but it won't blow your mind either. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

9 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

I did pick this up and I just did a 10 minutes flight so far It's not bad but it won't blow your mind either. 

How are the sounds? 

• Like 1

Just now, qqwertzde said:

How are the sounds? 

Average. I haven't tested the water dump yet. There is a bit of smoke when you start the engine. The manual is mostly in French. 

• Like 2

The inner Justin Simle/Arnie Schrader in me wants to get this. My head says otherwise.

• Like 3

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

10 minutes ago, Jetset408 said:

The inner Justin Simle/Arnie Schrader in me wants to get this. My head says otherwise.

save your money.

• Like 1

Would be a fun bird. Wish it took advantage of MSFS with things like PBR textures...

• Like 1

Another question, please.

Can you remove the yoke from the view?

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

yes, there is a switch on the left but it's not labelled.

• Like 2

If the reviews are half decent I might get it when it goes on sale in the future, I have other priorities at the moment.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

5 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

save your money.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

5 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

save your money.

Can you elaborate, please?

I'm thinking in purchasing and wondering what did you find wrong with it.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

16 minutes ago, Vlad Tepes3 said:

Can you elaborate, please?

I'm thinking in purchasing and wondering what did you find wrong with it.

Thank you! 

this is what a RL pilot who fight fire in a plane for a living posted

The good:

- It looks like a CL-215. The outside model is decently detailed and accurate as far as my eye from working around these aircraft can see
- It flies like it has some momentum in control, as it should

The bad

- The sounds! Oh wow. The sounds are maybe not THE worst I've heard in MSFS but certainly in the bottom 2%. It sounds like two sickly Rotax engines recorded through a phone and then compressed. 
- Scrolling magnetos automatically starts the engines without hitting the starter
- Plane instantly starts rolling on the ground and has no momentum
- Prop RPM sits at around 4500 (!!!) at full power
- Prop controls do nothing in the upper range of power and only allow you to decrease RPM to realistic numbers (under 3000) below about 1/3 power
- Drag and overall performance inflight is disappointing. Full flaps + idle gives approximately a 300-500 fpm descent on approach.
- Very, very little friction when landing on water. It's difficult to get it below 40 knots. The slowest I could get it on the water with full flap and engines at idle was around 20-25 knots
- but once you DO get it slow, it porpoises in and out of the water, sometimes up to about 20 feet before slamming back down
- Wake effects are random and sporadic, but mostly not there
- At rest the plane sits almost out of the water. The bottom 2 feet of the keel is in whereas the tip floats are up in space
- Mixture controls do not cutoff the engine
- Did I mention the sounds? Man.....

Edited by fogboundturtle
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

this is what a RL pilot who fight fire in a plane for a living posted

The good:

- It looks like a CL-215. The outside model is decently detailed and accurate as far as my eye from working around these aircraft can see
- It flies like it has some momentum in control, as it should

The bad

- The sounds! Oh wow. The sounds are maybe not THE worst I've heard in MSFS but certainly in the bottom 2%. It sounds like two sickly Rotax engines recorded through a phone and then compressed. 
- Scrolling magnetos automatically starts the engines without hitting the starter
- Plane instantly starts rolling on the ground and has no momentum
- Prop RPM sits at around 4500 (!!!) at full power
- Prop controls do nothing in the upper range of power and only allow you to decrease RPM to realistic numbers (under 3000) below about 1/3 power
- Drag and overall performance inflight is disappointing. Full flaps + idle gives approximately a 300-500 fpm descent on approach.
- Very, very little friction when landing on water. It's difficult to get it below 40 knots. The slowest I could get it on the water with full flap and engines at idle was around 20-25 knots
- but once you DO get it slow, it porpoises in and out of the water, sometimes up to about 20 feet before slamming back down
- Wake effects are random and sporadic, but mostly not there
- At rest the plane sits almost out of the water. The bottom 2 feet of the keel is in whereas the tip floats are up in space
- Mixture controls do not cutoff the engine
- Did I mention the sounds? Man.....

That’s unfortunate, would love me a CL-215 but gonna pass on this one for sure! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

It has so much potential but definitely not worth it in its current state.

• Like 1

Jay

| PPL ASEL |
| i9-9900k | MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24Gb | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz | 32' 4K HDR | Windows 11