Sign in to follow this  
Alec

HotStart Challenger 650 First Impressions

58 minutes ago, tull said:

Im just up the m18 from Doncaster😁👍 in York

I would have flown over your house on the way back then😁. What's the EGCC referring to then?

59 minutes ago, tull said:

obviously you know your stuff

It's just trivial things, I know nothing about this aircraft but I'm familiar with those little tricks with that particular HUD symbology. As pilots flying the same aircraft type all the time we soon discover these little tricks and cheats in the instrumentation to make our lives easier. The trouble is once you're aware of them their omission in a sim aircraft tends to jump out at you, where as 99% of users wouldn't even be aware of them.

For example in icing conditions on the ground the 747-400 requires a 30 second  static run up at 60% N1 before take off. Putting the commanded thrust marker on the  vertical N1 tapes opposite the NAI memo on the upper EICAS engine display will give you ... exactly 60%, it allows you to quickly select the desired thrust without fumbling around. These little tricks have obviously been put in by the avionics designers deliberately but they're not usually  documented, they're almost like Easter eggs !

While test flying the original PMDG QOTS ver 1 747 they reprogramed the upper EICAS as I flagged up it didn't have the above behaviour, I remember R.R sent an email to the development and testing group saying it wasn't nit-picking and these were just the sort of things real pilots look for and so were important.   

It's this sort of attention to the tiny details that makes the difference between the mass market add ons and something really special like I believe we are seeing here with the CL650. 

• Like 3

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Yes you’re right Jon, it is all in the detail for sure and that’s what makes the aircraft shine I guess…another interesting detailed post! Regarding EGCC I am originally from Manchester and I’ve flown out of Ringway airport many times (as a passenger)  so that’s why I put EGCC 😃 Also had many a flight lessons at Barton coming into land over the M62 in a Cessna!! That was fun ha! 

Regards

Paul EGCC

10 hours ago, Andistio said:

Hot Start released update 1.1.0

….But wait , there’s more !

version 1.2.2 is now out 😀

• Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

This is probably going to be my only payware add-on for XP12, until Hoststart releases some other tempting stuff 🙂

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

9 hours ago, jon b said:

version 1.2.2 is now out 😀

version 1.2.3 is now out 😀

2 hours ago, Andistio said:

version 1.2.3 is now out 😀

HAA HAA👍😁 Brilliant, see you same time tomorrow?

787 captain.  

10 hours ago, Janov said:

Oh please, don't say later that SHE will say "we need to talk" if SHE doesn't like that flying technique.. Not my case BTW !!! 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by charliearon
removed quote
  • Like 1

Alexander Colka

Hehe, Alexander 🙂

I have really no idea why the mod deleted my comment or your quote of it, it was just a bit of a joke in the spirit of the original 

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thats-what-she-said

...probably misunderstood it for critique of the poster I quoted?

Oh well, it wasn't important, and I guess humor does not always transfer true in the written word, only.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov

9 hours ago, Janov said:

Hehe, Alexander 🙂

I have really no idea why the mod deleted my comment or your quote of it, it was just a bit of a joke in the spirit of the original 

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thats-what-she-said

...probably misunderstood it for critique of the poster I quoted?

Oh well, it wasn't important, and I guess humor does not always transfer true in the written word, only.

Cheers, Jan

Hi Janov, no worries! phenomenal link and movie... Humor is a must, I always fly my sims just for the fun of it. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

Alexander Colka

Do you need rudder pedals to operate this?

the TBM is impossible to steer on the ground without a set of pedals due to the way its coded. 

Most planes if not using a set of rudder pedals the rudder is auto coordinated to the yoke.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

41 minutes ago, Jacoba said:

Do you need rudder pedals to operate this?

the TBM is impossible to steer on the ground without a set of pedals due to the way its coded. 

Most planes if not using a set of rudder pedals the rudder is auto coordinated to the yoke.

Dont you have a Joystick with a Twist Grip? Its what I used as Rudder, before I got mine.

Alexis Mefano

47 minutes ago, Alec said:

Dont you have a Joystick with a Twist Grip? Its what I used as Rudder, before I got mine.

no just a yoke 

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy