Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

So...Does Tobii now work with MSFS flawlessly

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’ll let you know tomorrow as I ordered Tobii 5 to test via Amazon. Can always send it back if it turns out trackIR  is better. (Of which I’ve used for a decade).

If I can't look forward to enlarge gauges in the cockpit or around pillars, to me it's useless. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’ll let you know tomorrow as I ordered Tobii 5 to test via Amazon. Can always send it back if it turns out trackIR  is better. (Of which I’ve used for a decade).

Ian, if coming from TrackIR, I would give it a week as your only tracker to get accustomed to it as I find the switch from TrackIR to be noticeable. You get used to the eye tracking and provided you program some work arounds for the missing POV tracking and bind a key/button for toggle head tracking you should be set.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’d love to hear your thoughts once you’ve gotten around to trying it!

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

6DOF is a big deficit. Without it you can't look around door pillars, over the nose, or behind you out of the window. I think that's much more useful than eye tracking in a flight sim cockpit.

That’s a very valid point… hhmmmmm, hopefully msfs is working to have this implemented with tobii as I really don’t want to have to wear headgear with track IR, I don’t like wearing hats nor do I like wearing headphones.

• Like 2

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

If I can't look forward to enlarge gauges in the cockpit or around pillars, to me it's useless. 

Ya that would be limiting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donka said:

I have switched from TrackIR to Tobii permanently and love it. The head tracking is spot on for me - just right in terms of sensitivity. The eye tracking allows you to gaze around the area your head is looking at - it doesn't track anywhere as much as head tracking but I like it with the following two caveats:

• Coming into land and I glance off to the side looking at the airport - granted not something a real pilot should be doing.
  • Glancing over at tablets with maps etc.

The issue with the above is that when you look back, it can be a little disorientating seeing the view snap back into place when you only hadn't moved your head. It also makes focusing on instruments harder - you need to be very conscious to keep your eyes still to keep the instruments in sharp focus.

The biggest miss for me is the lack of full 6 DOF head tracking. It will track where you are looking flawlessly but Asobo didn't add the ability to move your POV e.g lean left or right or forward to get a closer look at instruments for example. The have promised settings and configuration will be coming so I hope to see full 6 DOF and the ability to toggle eye tracking off sometime in the near future. Curves or sensitivity settings would be a bonus but not a requirement for me. I have work arounds for the lack of head POV tracking and for me, none of this is a deal breaker. I much prefer the 100% perfect tracking and not needing to wear anything on my head.

For me it's off to a great start but they need to better utilise the hardware as Tobii offers more than Asobo have currently implemented.

If it won't work with Xbox you can pretty much forget about Aboso ever putting it on the priority list, unfortunately, from what I've seen so far from them and being an active TIR user over my VR headset!

The 6 DOF is a must have!

• Like 2

Chris Camp

4 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

If it won't work with Xbox you can pretty much forget about Aboso ever putting it on the priority list, unfortunately, from what I've seen so far from them and being an active TIR user over my VR headset!

The 6 DOF is a must have!

Yup, we’ll see how it develops. They did say in the release notes that config options would follow at a later date and according to the official forum the devs are currently working with Tobii on additional options. 

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

6DOF is a big deficit. Without it you can't look around door pillars, over the nose, or behind you out of the window. I think that's much more useful than eye tracking in a flight sim cockpit.

Personally I don't find I'm missing it that much and the advantages of tobii are more than enough to compensate.

• Like 2

This is good insight and good valid points from both sides, having said that I think I’m more undecided now, maybe I’ll give it a few months and see what comes of msfs and tobii…I’d much rather use tobii but feel like the limiting DOF could be an issue, with the free SmoothTrack I’m using I make use of looking around pillars in the circuit, or peeking over the nose on landing etc. 

Was quite excited by this product, but watched a YouTube review by "Obedient Ant", said the maximum recommended screen size was 27 inches. Surely most people use larger monitors theses days?

I use 65 Inch 4K screen, ones that mean it’s not suitable for me?

Eugene

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Overload said:

Was quite excited by this product, but watched a YouTube review by "Obedient Ant", said the maximum recommended screen size was 27 inches. Surely most people use larger monitors theses days?

Eugene

I feel like a peasant with my 32” monitor 😂😂

10 minutes ago, Overload said:

Eugene

I’m gonna test it on a 55 and 65 inch tomorrow hopefully. 

Works fine on my 34” screen. 

2 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

This is good insight and good valid points from both sides, having said that I think I’m more undecided now, maybe I’ll give it a few months and see what comes of msfs and tobii…I’d much rather use tobii but feel like the limiting DOF could be an issue, with the free SmoothTrack I’m using I make use of looking around pillars in the circuit, or peeking over the nose on landing etc. 

One thing that is important, unlike Track IR which sits on top of your monitor, this Tobii unit goes on the bottom of the monitor, and that is where many people have their joystick or Yoke positioned. No way I could use something like that. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

One thing that is important, unlike Track IR which sits on top of your monitor, this Tobii unit goes on the bottom of the monitor, and that is where many people have their joystick or Yoke positioned. No way I could use something like that. 

Good point, I think I would be ok as my monitor is mounted on the wall and not sitting on my desk, but it’s a valid point and something to consider for sure.