Sign in to follow this  
thefrog

ILS approach starting at a VOR - problem with sharp turn

I'm trying to fly the ILS approach procedure for EGPE Inverness (runway 23) arriving from the North. The IAF is a VOR and then there is an outbound segment with a 45/180 procedure turn to intercept the ILS. My problem is that I don't know the correct way to turn onto the outbound leg from the VOR because it's a very sharp turn! Do I turn in advance of reaching the VOR or is there a procedure I need to do after I reach the VOR? Thanks!

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

I have not seen the chart, but usually when a VOR at the field is the IAF and you have a published outbound course-reversal segment for ILS intercept,  you usually establish yourself over the VOR on a defined race-track which will take you inbound the VOR at a proper course . The purpose of the race track is exactly the solution to your problem - it helps pilots steer to the outbound leg.

So when you are in the race-track as published and overhead the VOR, now you can steer towards outbound radial (and at a defined distance, initiate the course reversal and subsequently establish on ILS approach course)

My local field is the same, but we have an NDB race-track if we want to do full-procedure ILS.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Just looked at the chart - the quick way would be to follow the 10dme arc to feed into the ILS as shown on the VOR/DME ILS chart.

If you especially want to follow the procedure from overhead the VOR, I'd say a left turn to around north to intercept  the A B track 041 (maybe hdg 350 for the C track), making allowance for drift,

You go out to 8.5/9.5 miles on these tracks, so plenty of time to get established on the radial, but descent from 4000 only allowed within half scale deflection on the VOR radial.

Eugene

It's not a 45/180 procedure turn, it's a base turn.

When coming from any direction, you can turn to base on 041/027 directly, if you fly on FMC or some advance GPS, it'll calculate the radius you need, or you can do it manually with some lead. But when coming from north or even slightly northeast, you'd better use the DMEARC procedure, request a radar direct to final, or join the racetrack hold before turning base.

Both procedure turn and base turn a kind of "reversal procedure", that means it's design to take you to approach that is on the opposite direction from where you came from

Edited by C2615

Thanks so much for all your replies - I've got a lot to learn obviously!

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

Ok, I'm not a pilot... I've not played one on TV... nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express... however...

The procedure turn only applies if you are using INS as your initial approach fix (IAF).  If you are coming in from the north, using the BONBY transition, then you would not fly the procedure turn as the transition's DME arc will line you up for a direct approach to the runway.

I know this because I have reviewed the raw ARINC data for the approach as well as looked at the Jepp charts for it.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69