Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

how do u handle addons in community folder with updates

29 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

You missed the point. Running MSFS immediately after the update confirms that, without addons, it works. After enabling the CF then any issues must be an addon .

I have seen people chasing an addon issue when it was a bad update.   It's just basic, establish that the base program works first.

I got it now - I was just thinking addons but you are checking the update itself works fine first.  Good point 👍

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

44 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I got it now - I was just thinking addons but you are checking the update itself works fine first.  Good point 👍

Most of the time it's not really necessary but my thinking is, *IF* there is a problem, you catch it first.  I'm getting lazy in my old age.  🙂 

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

You missed the point. Running MSFS immediately after the update confirms that, without addons, it works. After enabling the CF then any issues must be an addon .

I have seen people chasing an addon issue when it was a bad update.   It's just basic, establish that the base program works first.

The counter debate to this would be that if the update itself is bad, you would only then, as a first problem solving step, remove your add-ons. A problem that continued to exist at that point would point to way bigger problems for sure.

Saving myself a step. I’m getting even lazier in my old age!🤣

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I use Addon Linker, and I have 2 presets that help me with community add-on folders.

1. - EMPY

I have one profile I call EMPTY, that has everything deselected. I choose this profile before running MSFS updates.  As mentioned above, this allows me to run MSFS without any add-ons to ensure that MSFS starts and operates as expected.

Once I have confirmed MSFS update WITHOUT any CF add-ons works as expected, I then choose another saved profile to match the area/airctaft I intend to fly, and test with that set.

2. - ALL

I use this profile to select EVERY addon. I use this profile prior to running any add-on update checkers for Scenery, Aircraft, Utils etc ( especially for those installers/updaters that dont allow you to point to a folder OTHER than the CF when checking for updates.

I then have a number of other presets defined to only include common utils, and scenery/aircraft that I will be flying with in that session.

• Like 1

so now I am a bit confused, 

Do I remove the addons that I have in my community folder ? Yes or No

or

do i take them out of the community folder, and make a folder on the desktop saying something like community batch

By the way in my community folderr I have about 6 airports, and just a few 747 addons

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

I have about 500 addons in my community folder, 90% of them controlled by AddonLinker. I simply unselect all of those in AddonLinker before updating the sim, but those not controlled by AddonLinker remain. Those are all payware, where I am more convinced that they work, or at least I can read somewhere if they dont. 

Two things are way more important imho though: 

1. ALWAYS reboot after updating your sim. I do not get why so many people "forget" this step and then wonder, why they run into troubles...

2. ALWAYS verify, that as soon as the update window opens, the update is directed to the folder where you have your current MSFS installed and not somewhere else. Otherwise you end up downloading the full sim again.

As such, I never had any issues with any of the updates so far

• Like 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

4 hours ago, Sunshine13 said:

so now I am a bit confused, 

Do I remove the addons that I have in my community folder ? Yes or No

or

do i take them out of the community folder, and make a folder on the desktop saying something like community batch

By the way in my community folderr I have about 6 airports, and just a few 747 addons

in case of issues, with addon linker its easier, also easier to just test some addons.

faster startup with only the stuff linked you use on that flight.

but for only  a handfull, not really neccesary.

• Like 2

I just rename the community folder before an update and let the update create a new one

Once the update is complete i run the sim and check all seems ok then i delete the new community folder and rename the old one back again and then run the sim again and check for issues.

Pete Little

5 hours ago, mazelda said:

I just rename the community folder before an update and let the update create a new one

Once the update is complete i run the sim and check all seems ok then i delete the new community folder and rename the old one back again and then run the sim again and check for issues.

Yeah, this is what I do too.

First of all let me get this right

when u rename the community folder with my addons, where does this go ?, on the desktop ? JUst want to get this right.

Edited by Sunshine13

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

The renamed Community folder will be right where the original Community folder was, in ...LocalCache/Packages. In other words, its location doesn't change.

Edited by cobalt

53 minutes ago, Sunshine13 said:

First of all let me get this right

when u rename the community folder with my addons, where does this go ?, on the desktop ? JUst want to get this right.

You don't have to move it if you rename it.

So

I just rename the folder, and leave it 

example, Communityold

any thing else I have to do ? I have the steam version

Correct. MSFS will create a new (empty) Community folder next time you run it. Once the update is installed, you change the name of your temporarily renamed folder back to "Community" and restart MSFS.

Edited by cobalt

Great

one more thing before I start the update, do I write Community, or will the update do it