Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

I'm a marmalade person...

12 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

If it's exactly the same as Marmite, it will be VERY SALTY and sort of yeasty.

And loved by some and hated by some.

I love it and a good source of B vitamins.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, birdguy said:

For years I've enjoyed orange marmalade on my pancakes, French toast, and English muffins.  But I was looking for a change the last time I was at the supermarket.  What kind of marmalade did they have besides orange?  Nothing.

I went online to Amazon and found lemon marmalade.   I just ordered some because I'm partial to lemons.  Every morning I sqeeze a half lemon into a half glass of hot water.  I like the tartness and my health nut daughter said it's good for me.  I'll let you know how the lemon marmalade turns out.  Or maybe someone here has already tried it?

Noel 

Years ago I found some lime marmalade. Loved it. Went back to the store, but it was sold out. I've never seen it since.

Bill W

I have tried a couple from here including the orange and ginger , and the orange and whiskey, both highly recommended.

https://mrsdarlingtons.com/

The ingredients from my current jar, orange and whisky….

Sugar

Seville oranges

Scotch whisky (3%)

water

orange juice

Gelling agent: pectin, lemon juice.

no added colour or preservatives 

35 grams of fruit per 100 grams.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

"Dont do it man"...

"Oh im a gonna do it" ............

Will this thread end up as a sticky😀

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jon b said:

Be careful, if they catch you bringing meat or dairy products into the states in your suitcase there’s a hefty fine, but good luck to you, yours is a noble cause 👍🙂

Yeah that’s what I told my wife. I figured it might be confiscated if they open her checked luggage where she packs it but she’s been lucky so far. She usually packs a few pounds of frozen butter if we’re coming from France and a few pounds off prosciutto, salami, ham, etc if where coming from Italy. 

It’s amazing how cheap the good stuff is in those counties compared to buying the same quality stuff (if you can find it) here in the US. I always tell the Europeans I meet that want to move to the US how well they have it there as far as food is concerned.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

9 hours ago, sightseer said:

Do you happen to know if its made from cow's milk or from some other animal?

I have a book on pizza from a guy named Ken Forkish and he says that authentic mozzarella for Italian pizza is actually made from water buffalo milk.  You can apparently buy it here in the US but I've never seen it anywhere.  It might be that the butter is also made from buffalo milk.

I'd love to be able to try a pizza crust made with buffalo milk.  I use regular buttermilk for all my bread products right now. (not thin crust pizza though)

Yeah in Italy they just call it bufala or mozzarella di bufala. It beats the heck out of the stuff they serve us here. They use is in other dishes as well. 

The pizza are also very different and better in my opinion that the American style or New York/Chicago style stuff they serve in the states. I’d imagine someone who grew up in Italy coming to the states and vomiting from eating an American pizza or being totally grossed out by Italian food served at places like Olive Garden. I’m not even from Italy and Olive Garden grosses me out 😂😂

That’s the one problem that I’ve developed from traveling to Europe and other counties is that once you taste how certain foods are meant to be taste, when you get back to the states things tend to not taste well and even make you sick. Usually when we go to Europe and spend around 20 days, the first few days back I usually get stomach aches from eating food here.

As far as the crust goes in the pizza, I’m not sure that they put any dairy product in the dough. You’d probably have to research it.

I don’t know about the contents of French butter but found this from looking. Also a photo of a real pizza I had in Italy a few months ago.

B030C931-23F3-4180-AA1E-658DD0F47C18.jpeg

537A2108-C06A-42AB-A8CD-DF5A2B9553F5.jpeg

ED1A3AD2-BBB1-4C83-8496-BDFE0DBEE842.jpeg

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

8 hours ago, 188AHC said:

I have never tried Vegemite. I think if I ever see some in my local market I might give it a try. 

It is not Marmite...

best with toast lots of butter and a light smear...about 15%  of the surface of vegemite.   You do not eat it like peanut butter.

• Upvote 1

Harry Woodrow

On 2/21/2022 at 6:56 PM, dmwalker said:

I used to enjoy Roses Lime Marmalade.

Best marmalade there is, IMO. Not so much a fan of the orange marmalades.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:04 AM, birdguy said:

That looks good.  I'm going to try and find some.

👍

I love lemon curd too.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

6 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Best marmalade there is, IMO

I'm just realising that it's been about 50 years since I last tasted it, so I think it's time to buy some more and make up for all these lost years.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

Picked up a new Smucker's marmalade yesterday at the supermarket.  It's called Smucker's NATURAL orange marmalade. Ingredients from NATURAL sources according to the label.  Ingredients are Sugar, orange juice, orange peel, water, fruit pectin, citric acid.  That's it.  I haven't tried it yet, but it is different from the regular Smucker's marmalade. 

Stan

If it's not as tasty as you thought, then Smucker's is for sucker's. 

3 minutes ago, martin-w said:

If it's not as tasty as you thought, then Smucker's is for sucker's. 

Good one Martin.  If we get tired of putting each other down on favorite theories of the cosmos or whether we should establish a Mars colony or not there's always the fall back of favorite marmalades.

As Puck said in Shakespeare's  A Midsummer Night's Dream, "What fools these mortals be".

But what do I know?  I'm a sucker for Smuckers.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

3 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Good one Martin.  If we get tired of putting each other down on favorite theories of the cosmos or whether we should establish a Mars colony or not there's always the fall back of favorite marmalades.

As Puck said in Shakespeare's  A Midsummer Night's Dream, "What fools these mortals be".

But what do I know?  I'm a sucker for Smuckers.

Noel

Bet you couldn't handle Marmite on toast... X4.