Sign in to follow this  
lambourne

Thinking of returning to MSFS

I gave up playing MSFS last summer because the never ending flow of MS Store updates and hidden updates in the content manager meant I spent more time waiting for unnecessarily large downloads than playing the game.

How has it evolved since, have Asobo and Microsoft fixed that awful updates flow or do you still need to download 20GB from 3 separate locations before you can take a 20 minute pre dinner hop in a Cessna?

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

You know Ive just come back just a few days ago and Ive done a number of flights over the weekend and not had one ctd.....Im impresed! just downloading the latest update now......lets hope it doesent mess things up hey!

• Like 1

Regards

Paul EGCC

1 hour ago, lambourne said:

I gave up playing MSFS last summer because the never ending flow of MS Store updates and hidden updates in the content manager meant I spent more time waiting for unnecessarily large downloads than playing the game.

How has it evolved since, have Asobo and Microsoft fixed that awful updates flow or do you still need to download 20GB from 3 separate locations before you can take a 20 minute pre dinner hop in a Cessna?

Seriously you expect an honest answer here??

Just go download it and try it...!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lambourne said:

That's a pretty weak excuse for not flying because the update process is convoluted. 🙂

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 hour ago, tull said:

You know Ive just come back just a few days ago and Ive done a number of flights over the weekend and not had one ctd.....Im impresed! just downloading the latest update now......lets hope it doesent mess things up hey!

I haven't had a CTD in a few months. I was getting them fairly frequently awhile back (late September if I remember correctly) with the WT CJ4 so I used it as an incentive to tackle the FBW A320. Never had one with the FBW and in the last week I've hopped back in the CJ for a handful of flights with no issue. For me, the sim has been rock solid for the last few months.

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

Just tried it and I see it's still the same process, MS Store update followed by that painfully slow single-threaded downloader you can't trigger until opening the game. Doubtless there's a bunch of hidden updates waiting in the content manager too.

Ah well. I'll have fun for the next few days and then go back to playing something else when the next few GB drops from Asobo. 😬

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

Updates are only once a month. Even with a slow or capped connection, that seems an extreme reason not to use the sim to me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I would not come back. To much trouble for you. Thats my 2 cents

• Like 2

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Runs really smooth on my rig, win 11 / Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti + Ryzen 5600x, 32 GB RAM.

So far so good, but really looking fwd into SU9  and the Iberia WU.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Preferred Simulator: X-Plane (and seriously considering AEROFLY FS 4 too)

Preferred Airbus simulation platform: P3dv5 + FSLabs Airbus family

I also use MSFS 2020... Cute, and superb overall functionality, although "flying" feels rather "plastic" ...

Just about a year without a CTD of any kind. Love MSFS. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, lambourne said:

Go get it. It's the best thing since slice bread. If you have issues. Let us know and we will help you. Do a clean install.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Depends what you mean by 'evolved'. It's come on some since last summer for sure. Performance and graphics are better and more stable, and it's running for me as smoothly as it ever has since SU8. Still testing of course. Last summer we went through the trauma of SU5 I think - it was a pretty big download followed by a number of subsequent hotfixes and horrible CTDs. Was that what put you off?

Anyway updates are fairly straight forward, and betas are now optional. I don't feel they are convoluted and if you are unsure for example, you can read the available instructions and relevant  threads here and on flightsimulator.com. Downloads such as they are are rarely more than 3-4Gb for new versions nowadays.

It is true though, that that new World Updates have to additionally be updated in the Marketplace, once you have downloaded the sim update which can be quite large (more than 10Gb). Updates for your addon products purchased via the Marketplace also have to be downloaded via your Profile in the control panel. That is three separate sources admittedly, but I've got used to it, and don't find it at all to be a problem. I regularly check my profile. However, if this is what you meant in your message, then no, that has not changed since last summer.... 

• Like 1