Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Baker

Long Frames/Stutters

Hi,

I'm in P3Dv5.3 HF2 and I have it working fairly well.

The one thing I've noticed is that I get (I don't know if the term is a stutter or a long frame) every 2 seconds at my FSDreamteam sceneries; particularly KJFK, KLAX and PHNL.  PHNL also has crazy elevation issues after long flights (certain objects floating, on angles, etc.)  I haven't seen this behaviour at any other complex add-on airports.

Is it just that these sceneries are now old enough that the techniques used to create them will always have issue in v5, or could there be another cause?  If the latter, any suggestions on where I start?

i8700k (OC to 5.1Ghz), 32G RAM DDR4, RTX3090, Windows 10 Home 64. 
Using nVidia Control panel to half refresh rate (30 hz), Frames unlimited

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Topic title amended as FSDT software is not the problem

Just try to revert to HF1. I did, and I can fly anywhere without stuttering problems!

Yves

• Like 1

Yves SAMUEL

ELLX

I have FSDT's PHNL, KJFK, KLAX, etc., and do not see the elevation problems you describe. I'm also using P3Dv5.3 HF2. It's likely something in your configuration is creating the stutters and elevation issues. Though I'm sure smarter folks than I will suggest better things to try, and not knowing what you've already tried, suggest clearing the P3D shader cache. 2d, suggest researching and/or posting this in the FSDT forum. They are very helpful and can probably pinpoint the problem fast. 

• Like 1

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Post the [JobScheduler] section of your Prepar3D.cfg. Let’s see if it’s properly configured for HF2.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

16 hours ago, David Vega said:

I have FSDT's PHNL, KJFK, KLAX, etc., and do not see the elevation problems you describe. I'm also using P3Dv5.3 HF2. It's likely something in your configuration is creating the stutters and elevation issues. Though I'm sure smarter folks than I will suggest better things to try, and not knowing what you've already tried, suggest clearing the P3D shader cache. 2d, suggest researching and/or posting this in the FSDT forum. They are very helpful and can probably pinpoint the problem fast. 

They are all unoptimised for v5. 

Compress the textures, turn off msaa. 

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

Also, considering trying to monitor your CPU individual core usage using something like Project Ted Lasso. 

It could simply be that you're pushing 100% on the main P3D core, which would cause stutters when loading is needed. 

• Like 1

How did you revert to HF1??

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

For FSDT sceneries, you will have issues if you use 1M or 2M texture resolution.  Stay at 5M or higher.

• Like 2

Alan

21 hours ago, yvesamuel said:

Just try to revert to HF1. I did, and I can fly anywhere without stuttering problems!

Yves

Hello, Yves. How do you revert to HF1?

AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

35 minutes ago, exeodus said:

For FSDT sceneries, you will have issues if you use 1M or 2M texture resolution.  Stay at 5M or higher.

explain this to me??  i never knew this.  how come ? 

14ppkc-6.png

53 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

explain this to me??  i never knew this.  how come ? 

It has been like this since the FSX days, and many of their sceneries for P3D are still based on FSX files.  For example PHNL will have most objects floating above the ground if you use 2M mesh.  Switching back to 5M fixes the problem.  Also causes issues with KDFW.  Here is a link with more information:  http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,24718.0.html

• Like 1

Alan

Just uninstall client of HF2 and install client of HF1.

That's all

Yves

Yves SAMUEL

ELLX

I'll try that. Thanks!

AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

On 3/6/2022 at 5:06 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Post the [JobScheduler] section of your Prepar3D.cfg. Let’s see if it’s properly configured for HF2.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the offer - I haven't done anything with this, it's honestly confused me.

[JobScheduler]
;AffinityMask=4095
P3DCoreAffinityMask=4095
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4
AffinityMask=4095
;AffinityMask=4095
;AffinityMask=4095

7 hours ago, exeodus said:

It has been like this since the FSX days, and many of their sceneries for P3D are still based on FSX files.  For example PHNL will have most objects floating above the ground if you use 2M mesh.  Switching back to 5M fixes the problem.  Also causes issues with KDFW.  Here is a link with more information:  http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,24718.0.html

I had the mesh set @ 1 or 2m to hopefully get around the issue at KSFO (RW28L) where the plane slams into the ground crossing the threshold.  I think I'm still safe there @ 5m, though.  Thanks for this.