Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

Boeing 247D

This plane had my interest as well. Letting the download dust settle before I purchase, but in the meantime watching some good streaming video's of the aircraft 🙂 

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

BOEING 247D FINAL FLIGHT (The Museum of Flight YT Channel video published in 2017)

Video Description
The world's oldest flyable Boeing airliner will makes its last flight on April 26. The classic twin-engine Boeing 247D from the 1930s--one of a mere four remaining in the world, and the only one flyable--has been in the Museum's collection since 1966. Based at the Museum's Restoration Center on Paine Field in Everett, Wash., it was featured at airshows and other events around the country from 1994 until 2004. At noon on Tuesday the 26th, the 83- year-old airliner flew to the Museum's Boeing Field campus to be retired for permanent display. The crew for this special flight: Two Boeing test pilots with experience at the controls of the 247, Mike Carriker and Chad Lundy. Carriker was the chief test pilot for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, so on this trip, the world's oldest Boeing airliner is flown by the chief pilot of Boeing's newest airliner.

Edited by Doering
  • Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

Initial thoughts:

Price is cheap

Textures were ok. Nothing special. A few spots that look decidedly previous sim.

Exterior sounds: Great.

Cockpit engine sounds: not a big fan. Missing the throatyness of the exterior engine sound even with the windows open.

A bunch of neat little features like the helper dudes and ladders, the start sequence etc.

Hand flys very well.

I'm happy with it. Will need to learn the engines. Probably wont get a whole lot of time  in it but I tend to buy most things that come out anyways. Plus the price is right.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

On 3/18/2022 at 11:37 PM, Mace said:

Leads to the question...in FS2004 on Tom Gibson's Classic Airliner site aka Calclassics, there were long range beacon bgl's that could be downloaded, so that a person could navigate a little more easily on transatlantic routes.  I don't remember if these were VLF-style radio beacons or what they were, but they were supposedly what they used in the 1930's, 40's, 50's too I believe, for oceanic nav...at least prior to INS.

Anyway, I almost forgot about my question.  I wonder if there will be a way to do the same in MSFS?  Navigating by dead reckoning or celestial across large bodies of water is something I have done but I also used the old beacon mod.  Way back in FS9/FS2004 days.

@Mace There is a way. My Ce;Nav add-on is free at flightsim.to...https://flightsim.to/file/17738/celnav-for-msfs-celestial-navigation-sextant