Sign in to follow this  
SpaceForceCapt

Better VFR map?

Looking for a replacement for the in-game VFR map.  Would like to see a more detailed version with city names, landmarks, etc.  Any suggestions?  I am currently using an add-on called Flight Sim Discovery, but not totally happy.  It's supposed to login automatically, but I have to manually do it each flight.  Just wondering if there's something a little better?

1 hour ago, SpaceForceCapt said:

Looking for a replacement for the in-game VFR map.  Would like to see a more detailed version with city names, landmarks, etc.  Any suggestions?  I am currently using an add-on called Flight Sim Discovery, but not totally happy.  It's supposed to login automatically, but I have to manually do it each flight.  Just wondering if there's something a little better?

LittleNaMap is your friend.

Watch some YT videos and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Yes. Little Navmap is the final answer for any and all sim planning.  VFR/IFR, a complex route or just a quick course distance measure, or anything in between. It's astonishingly good. 

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

Your graphics card should have a second port for another monitor if you happen to have a spare lying around. Little Navmap won't display within MSFS but it works really well on a second monitor. It gets all its nav data from within the sim, so its data you can count on, and it will track your flight as you go. A real winner to be honest.

• Like 1

Mike Beckwith

I can't live without sky4sim. It's a paid addon but well worth the money. Does everything you're looking for and then some. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There is, or was, an addon that pops little navmap up in a window in the sim.  But what's even better is the webserver option built into Little Navmap.  It allows you to view the map, with (or without, you can turn it off) ownship position, in a browser window on any tablet or phone or any other device that can open a webpage.  You can also view your flight plan, information about airports etc.  It basically functions like Foreflight for the sim. 

A free addon gives you more maps, including all VFR sectionals and TACs and all IFR low enroute charts for the states, if that's where you happen to be. 

And all for free. It really is amazing what this program does! 

Andrew Crowley

There is a way to increase readability of LilNavMap on a smaller auxiliary monitor.

Example: I have a 32" display for main MSFS and a little 23" auxiliary screen that runs LilNavMap. The two screens are configured as extending the windows desktop in Windows Display Settings.

Settings / Ease of Access / Additional Display Settings / Change Scale and Layout

Now  you can click on the icon for either screen and and make everything bigger. This will NOT change your display pixels from the native resolution, so the picture will be just as clear, but now every window is bigger, and all the images and text are too.

I keep my main 32" screen at normal, but increase Scale and Layout to 150% on the auxiliary 23" display. That way I can see the LilNavMap display so much easier than before!

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

42 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

I use this one.

Adds icon to toolbar

https://nl.flightsim.to/file/3181/fspm-vfr-map

I used that previously, but running at 4k I find the text is now far too small to read, and it doesn't scale.  The author said he might look at this problem a year ago, but the project seems to have been abandoned now.

I have now paid a little price to use Sky4Sim and I think it is really worth it.  It can also be brought up in the sim by pressing the 'V' button (replaces the standard Asobo map).
I am very happy with it for the price.  If anyone really needs something like this, i recommend that they check out the website.  I wouldn't be without it now.

https://sky4sim.com/sky4sim-pad/

• Like 1

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Nice find. I will check it out!

http://dc2-fs.com

sigimavsim.JPG

Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.

No DC3 without the DC2

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

.....but running at 4k I find the text is now far too small to read, and it doesn't scale. .....

You are right. Personally I have no problem with that. I'm running at 2560x1440  But I see your point at higher res.

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

4 hours ago, saifs said:

I can't live without sky4sim. It's a paid addon but well worth the money. Does everything you're looking for and then some. 

That looks very nice, is there any fps impact?

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

24 minutes ago, Micko said:

That looks very nice, is there any fps impact?

I use it in VR, very handy tool and well worth the price, no FPS impact for me 

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 2

Pico Neo3 Link VR - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)