Sign in to follow this  
goon

Rudder Pedal Sensitivity

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting back in to MSFS after well over a decade of absence - like starting from scratch really. 

I'm using Logitech G940 pedals and having a problem with sensitivity. I can't seem to dial out them being super twitchy, resulting in wild yawing on take off unless I'm really, really careful. It's just not a natural feel. In the calibration of the pedals I can see that they are quite 'noisy' with some weird peaks of input through the range. Would paying for FSUIPC help me smooth this out, am I missing something in FS settings, or should I just buy a set of pedals?

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

• Like 1

Check this out before getting a new pot or set, please. You might get lucky. FSUPIC is powerful enough to tone down this known bug of "super twitchy" rudder behavior but if it is a real issue with a worn pot might not be able to help.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

57 minutes ago, goon said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting back in to MSFS after well over a decade of absence - like starting from scratch really. 

I'm using Logitech G940 pedals and having a problem with sensitivity. I can't seem to dial out them being super twitchy, resulting in wild yawing on take off unless I'm really, really careful. It's just not a natural feel. In the calibration of the pedals I can see that they are quite 'noisy' with some weird peaks of input through the range. Would paying for FSUIPC help me smooth this out, am I missing something in FS settings, or should I just buy a set of pedals?

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

Your spot on.  Been noticing this more since the SU7 update was released. I'm looking to see if others chime in and suggest FSUIPC.  I totally forgot about that tool as it might help. 😏

Oh yeh, I doubt it's your peddles that's the problem... 🤨

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

If your pedals are noisy, the pots are probably going bad or need replacing. If you can try a new set of pedals, your problem will probably go away. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

I'm looking to see if others chime in and suggest FSUIPC. 

An interesting option in FSUIPC is what I call the virtual Tiller axis -- virtual because there is no tiller in the aircraft.  Rather, you assign a tiller axis which works in conjunction with the rudder axis. At low speeds the rudder pedals control the tiller axis, and as the speed increases, the pedals slowly transition from controlling the tiller (i.e., ground steering) to full control of the rudder axis (you can set the speed at which the rudder is in "full" control -- defaults to 60kts). The advantage of this is you can set the response or sensitivity curve (what FSUIPC calls the slope) of the tiller axis separately from the rudder axis. See the box on page 30 of the FSUIPC Users Guide.

The other thing you can do in FSUIPC besides adjusting the slope of an axis response curve is to change the range of the axis. For example, the rudder axis normally goes from -16384 to +16383. If you change the range  to -8192 to +8192, you have desensitized the rudder pedal input.

I have found both of the above ideas useful.

Note that an axis assigned in FSUIPC should not also be assigned directly in MSFS.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 2

If your rudders aren't twitchy on any other platform (XP11, P3D, DCS, etc), then you might just be flying an aircraft that has twitchy flight controls. If you find Robert Young's aircraft twitches, or the A32NX from FBW twitchy, or the DC-6 from PMDG twitchy, then I'd consider taking Al's advice above me. If however you find any of those well-modeled aircraft fair - or find every other sim fair - the problem is not on your end at all.

Robert Young or any other FDE knowledgeable Dev is free to correct me here, but AFAIK a lot of the default ASOBO or $5 aircraft are very wonky on the yaw and pitch axis. I can't for the life of me keep them on the center-line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

22 minutes ago, ark said:

An interesting option in FSUIPC is what I call the virtual Tiller axis -- virtual because there is no tiller in the aircraft.  Rather, you assign a tiller axis which works in conjunction with the rudder axis. At low speeds the rudder pedals control the tiller axis, and as the speed increases, the pedals slowly transition from controlling the tiller (i.e., ground steering) to full control of the rudder axis (you can set the speed at which the rudder is in "full" control -- defaults to 60kts). The advantage of this is you can set the response or sensitivity curve (what FSUIPC calls the slope) of the tiller axis separately from the rudder axis. See the box on page 30 of the FSUIPC Users Guide.

The other thing you can do in FSUIPC besides adjusting the slope of an axis response curve is to change the range of the axis. For example, the rudder axis normally goes from -16384 to +16383. If you change the range  to -8192 to +8192, you have desensitized the rudder pedal input.

I have found both of the above ideas useful.

Note that an axis assigned in FSUIPC should not also be assigned directly in MSFS.

Al

Another major advantage to using FSUIPC is you can customize control setting for each airplane and forget about them, unlike the MSFS setting which you have to go to control setting and select each time you change airplanes.

Robin

Thanks everyone. I’ll start by checking the pot in the pedals and go from there.

Since nobody has mentined it, make sure you don't have rudder assist turned on. This sometimes turns itself on and it auto-centres the rudder whenever you deflect it from the middle.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

18 hours ago, goon said:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

I hate to tell you this after testing today but 'Rudder Assist' is your best friend until Asobo fixes the rudder issue.:ph34r:  I fly in the real world so there's some experience here on my end.  I hate using cheats but after the gusty winds we've been having in Florida I buckled down to see if I could get to the root of the problem.  Spruce Creek doesn't give you allot of options in runway choices and cross winds.  A big part of flying is handling crosswinds on takeoff and landings.  What's happening in the sim now is flat out lunacy but as I said there's a fix for now.  At no time should your aircraft barrel down the runway sliding as if it's on ice where you have no authority to correct it's path (unless you are actually flying in Alaska right now with icy weather).  I adjusted my rudder settings over and over again and came away with a combination that seemed to work well for most aircraft.  Just the same rudder sensitivity on takeoff was off and too sensitive.  I reluctantly enabled 'Rudder Assist' and the aircraft I tested now respond as if they have tread on the tires. Not a good option for us purists but the results are where it should be on the takeoff and landing roll.  Hope this helps, this is a fault of the sim and not your peripherals.  

Aircraft tested: Cessna 414, Beech Baron, P51

Now I'm off to Sun 'N Fun... 🙂

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 4

FS2020 

40 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I hate to tell you this after testing today but 'Rudder Assist' is your best friend until Asobo fixes the rudder issue.:ph34r:  I fly in the real world so there's some experience here on my end.  I hate using cheats but after the gusty winds we've been having in Florida I buckled down to see if I could get to the root of the problem.  Spruce Creek doesn't give you allot of options in runway choices and cross winds.  A big part of flying is handling crosswinds on takeoff and landings.  What's happening in the sim now is flat out lunacy but as I said there's a fix for now.  At no time should your aircraft barrel down the runway sliding as if it's on ice where you have no authority to correct it's path (unless you are actually flying in Alaska right now with icy weather).  I adjusted my rudder settings over and over again and came away with a combination that seemed to work well for most aircraft.  Just the same rudder sensitivity on takeoff was off and too sensitive.  I reluctantly enabled 'Rudder Assist' and the aircraft I tested now respond as if they have tread on the tires. Not a good option for us purists but the results are where it should be on the takeoff and landing roll.  Hope this helps, this is a fault of the sim and not your peripherals.  

Aircraft tested: Cessna 414, Beech Baron, P51

Now I'm off to Sun 'N Fun... 🙂

Rudder assist couples the aileron movement to the rudder. You can see this yourself , because you can taxi using the aileron only with rudder assist turned on. This makes proper crosswind landings impossible, since if you have a crosswind from the left, you need to apply  right rudder and left aileron down . This is impossible to do with rudder assist turned on. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

11 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Rudder assist couples the aileron movement to the rudder. You can see this yourself , because you can taxi using the aileron only with rudder assist turned on. This makes proper crosswind landings impossible, since if you have a crosswind from the left, you need to apply  right rudder and left aileron down . This is impossible to do with rudder assist turned on. 

Very true but the over sensitive controls aren't realistic either.  The bald tire effect is another issue.  There has to be some give somewhere and I couldn't find it with adjusting the sensitivity of the Rudder axis.  So my solution to give me the stability on the takeoff/landing roll is 'Rudder Assist'.  To do what your talking about above and have a realistic experience when the tires hit the pavement is an update only Asobo can do...

• Like 1

FS2020 

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Rudder assist

I have no "rudder assist" option. I do have Auto-Rudder?

49 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I have no "rudder assist" option. I do have Auto-Rudder?

Same thing. 

• Like 1