Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

DLSS question.

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

wondering why we don't hear anything re. DLSS from the other 2 simulator developers? 😊

The other two competing simulators are becoming "ancient."  That's what happens when they procrastinate for 10 years with very little competition. And then the competition appeared in 2020, and now those two other competing simulators are panicking.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

21 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

if you're getting a smooth 60 FPS or more at 4k with your preferred graphics settings then DLSS probably won't do anything for you. If not, with DLSS you should be able to bump up your settings and /or your FPS without incurring much of an image quality hit. You'll still be GPU limited.

60fps at 4K? Isn’t happening, 40-55 at a push with a 3090. Hence why if locked at 40, and gpu limited, I can’t see the point in DLSS. 

17 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

60fps at 4K? Isn’t happening, 40-55 at a push with a 3090. Hence why if locked at 40, and gpu limited, I can’t see the point in DLSS. 

Are you running an intensive add on like AIG at max?

I can hit 60 fps @ 4K with my liquid cooled 3080ti; settings on the ultra preset at 85% render scaling, Gsync and VRR enabled - hoping once DLSS arrives I can run 100 RS…

Edited by DylanM

6 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Are you running an intensive add on like AIG at max?

I can hit 60 fps @ 4K with my liquid cooled 3080ti; settings on the ultra preset at 85% render scaling, Gsync and VRR enabled - hoping once DLSS arrives I can run 100 RS…

No, sometimes real traffic, sometimes not. 
I find that terrain LOD above 125-150 means that it becomes cpu limited, and induced stutters. 
I have render scale at 100 to keep it gpu limited to try and avoid becoming main thread limited. 
PS this is with the CJ4 aircraft by working title. 

1 hour ago, Emerson67 said:

Unfortunately, only RTX cards have Tensor cores to enable DLSS

Thank you.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I predict that once DLSS drops you'll be able to lock at 60 FPS without changing any other settings.

• Like 2

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

16 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

I predict that once DLSS drops you'll be able to lock at 60 FPS without changing any other settings.

I don't think so. Asobo needs to do better with CPU bottleneck to achieved that 60 fps target. DLSS helps with GPU bottleneck.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

2 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

I don't think so. Asobo needs to do better with CPU bottleneck to achieved that 60 fps target. DLSS helps with GPU bottleneck.

This being my point. It won’t bring any Benefit to me. I may be wrong but who knows 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Tried it on the AMD side with their recent post processing super resolution release. I can confirm after trying it out that for someone with a lesser card like a 6600xt or 5700xt the AMD solution would work for them but for me already running the sim with an overclocked 6800xt locked at 50fps at 1440p with a render scale of 115% this did nothing for me. I also tested it at the usual cpu intensive airports and as Ian rightfully figured out .. the frames dropped and the stutters came as i dropped into being mainthread limited.

I presume it would have worked out better for me if i had a 4k monitor to put the super resolution feature to good use but i like my ultrawide with a touch of extra render scale so i don't see myself getting a 4k monitor anytime soon.

I think DLSS/RSR and the like are to be used for the mid level cards to improve frames and to improve IQ if you have a higher level card. However if you become cpu bound/mainthread limited as this sim can presently get in some scenarios and frame times increase the end user will have to make adjustments  (lock frames or adjust settings /render scaling) and some cards are already in the not really needed at the moment category unless shooting to get better image quality.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

47 minutes ago, Maxis said:

However if you become cpu bound/mainthread limited as this sim can presently get in some scenarios and frame times increase the end user will have to make adjustments 

I just did a test, EGPH with CJ4 daytime with scattered clouds. 4K.

With render scale at 80, I was mainthread limited mostly, with stuttering. Fps was around 50. 

with render scale at 100, I was gpu limited mostly, with far less stuttering. Fps was still around 50, no change in fps. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

I expect Asobo will manage to get there, they are pretty close already. While they are busy implementing DLSS the mainthread bottleneck should become pretty apparent to them.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

A reminder that ray-tracing is coming at a later date, which will bring today's flagship GPUs to their knees, begging for DLSS, FSR and so on.

• Like 1

Running a 2080 super, on an i9 9900k oc to 5.0, at 2k, almost everything at High, frames capped in sim at 30fps, LOD at 200, and still I'm CPU limited....?

Will DLSS help me at all?

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

11 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Running a 2080 super, on an i9 9900k oc to 5.0, at 2k, almost everything at High, frames capped in sim at 30fps, LOD at 200, and still I'm CPU limited....?

Will DLSS help me at all?

From my limited understanding, no. Because you’re CPU limited and not GPU limited. If you’re GPU limited, it’s much smoother I find. 

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Enable frame rate indicator in developer mode. If it says "Limited by main thread": CPU limited. Otherwise "Limited by GPU".

The article below tests i9-9900K with DLSS on Turing GPUs (RTX 20XX), at different resolutions. Not MSFS though.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/death-stranding-nvidia-dlss-2-0/