Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Brilliant MSFS performance

Yes, the 5800X3D cannot control SMT from Ryzen master, so it is turned off from the UEFI.
There are many scenarios where SMT is useful, and it is often better to have it ON outside of games, so it is a trade-off.
I just feel like sharing with the community the results of this kind of experiment about SMTON and OFF, because I have done this kind of experiment. Nothing more.

I also own the Pro version of Process Lasso and have used it for several years, but on XBoxLive, I have had problems with the MSFS2020 client CTDing immediately after startup. (Probably a processor affinity issue defined in ProcessLasso. I haven't been able to track down the cause of the CTD yet.)

• Like 3

Self answered, I have resolved the CTD that occurs in ProcessLasso, I am switching from 5950X to 5800X3D and the affinity mask was still defined on a non-existent processor (16 or later).

33 minutes ago, Kanade said:

I just feel like sharing with the community the results of this kind of experiment about SMTON and OFF, because I have done this kind of experiment. Nothing more.

Thanks again for the very useful and detailed information! I'll see whether or not I can achieve something similar with Process Lasso, and compare with SMT switched off in BIOS. 

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

2 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

So its worth it but only if disabling SMT is the conclusion, I am assuming...

I found a substantial increase going from a 5800x to the 5800x3D with SMT enabled. I haven’t yet tried it with SMT disabled, but it looks I can expect even more gains. Hard to believe really, but I’ll take it. 

2 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

So its worth it but only if disabling SMT is the conclusion, I am assuming...

Double post.  

Edited by Virtual-Chris

I turned off SMT tonight. As the testing above shows, it makes a difference. I was able to fly around photogrammetry rendered Vancouver in the Caravan at low altitude at a consistent 60FPS at 4K LOD 400, mostly ultra settings. This 5800X3D was seemingly built for MSFS. Perhaps one of the most impactful incremental upgrades I’ve ever done to a PC (2nd only perhaps to my first SSD). 

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MySound said:

I am really tempted to sell my 5900x and replace it with the 5800x3D....

At least wait for the next generation of 3D cache CPUs, 

The 7000-series is launching in September, with a 3D cache version of the chips sure to follow. 

Granted that does kill the option of a slot-in upgrade, as it'll now be on AM5. 

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Just now, Sethos said:

The 7000-series is launching in September, with a 3D cache version of the chips sure to follow. 

Granted that does kill the option of  a slot-in upgrade, as it'll now be on AM5. 

Last sentence is the key point 🙂

2 hours ago, Sethos said:

Granted that does kill the option of a slot-in upgrade, as it'll now be on AM5. 

I'm more concerned about the cost of the memory than a new motherboard for myself personally.

All signs indicate that AMD's next-gen AM5 socket platforms that will house the 5nm Ryzen 7000 'Raphael' processors will only support DDR5 memory when they arrive later this year.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Anyone flying in VR with SMT turned off?  SMT is currently ON for me.  Wondering if turning it off would have as much of an effect as it seems like it does in 2d.

2 hours ago, FakeWayne said:

Anyone flying in VR with SMT turned off?  SMT is currently ON for me.  Wondering if turning it off would have as much of an effect as it seems like it does in 2d.

Does VR change performance much?  

Edited by Virtual-Chris

I have a VRHMD (Quest2). I also feel that it is effective in my experience.
However, I am withholding accurate reports because I do not yet have a logging and reporting method to quantify VR performance by the method I have done.

Reason.
The NVidia frameview I used cannot handle Oculus' internal data such as asynchronous space warp frequency or photon to motion delay.
Also, Oculusdebug, an Oculus tool, cannot directly get GPU performance. (This is because it can only evaluate in terms of FPS and photon to motion delay.)
Therefore, it is necessary to establish, test, and report on benchmarking methods in a different way than conventional reporting, otherwise it cannot be called quantification, which requires a certain amount of effort. (The report must be as accurate as possible, eliminating human senses as much as possible.)

• Like 1

Yes, the new Zen4 series is announced for next month.
I think waiting is a good option. Maybe a VCache product will be out in the not too distant future, Zen5 is DDR5 only, but maybe DDR5 is 2x more expensive than DDR4. I'm torn.

(The reason why I dared to buy and evaluate the 5800X3D just before the new CPU is released is because a similar VCache-CPU, EPYC Milan-X/Genoa-X, is not readily available for personal use. I needed to investigate the performance of numerical simulations and various VM benchmarks running on the VCache-CPU, MSFS2020 has workloads similar to those of tightly coupled simulations and is fun to play with and investigate).

13 hours ago, MySound said:

I am really tempted to sell my 5900x and replace it with the 5800x3D....

I sold my 5950X for the 5800X3D. Totally worth it. No regrets.  

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48".