Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

The worst issue for me is brightness/contrast dynamic range.

I hope I used the correct terms. I'm talking about nice bright scenery seen through the windscreen and at the same time dark cockpit gauges on the dash.

There are settings in options that refer to a camera lens, such as depth correction, lens flare, lens correction. The human eye is not a camera lens and enables a great image while flying of the gauges and the outside world  concurrently. The cockpit view camera in MSFS does not show what human eyes will see in the same situation. There are very nice affects as you move through time, space and the clouds. Except for the fact that you can't read the gauges, whereas in real life you could.

The Asobo sim probably does show correctly on our monitors what a camera lens would see.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I think you are seeing what you would see in real life, you just never notice it in real life as your eyes are always adjusting to the lighting at the area you are focusing on. If the focus on the sim is outside the cockpit window, you can still look at instruments directly that are on screen and this is the bit that looks unnatural since the instrumentals will be in darkness. It works a lot better with the likes of head tracking provided you make a point of looking direct at things instead of glancing using just your eyes. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

You can turn those settings off.  I do.  Anything that has depth of field anything, or any sort of “realistic” head shake which isn’t really realistic when you realize your neck and eyes compensate for it in real life.

im a sucker for a good lens flare tho,  I leave that one on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

I hope I used the correct terms. I'm talking about nice bright scenery seen through the windscreen and at the same time dark cockpit gauges on the dash.

There are settings in options that refer to a camera lens, such as depth correction, lens flare, lens correction. The human eye is not a camera lens and enables a great image while flying of the gauges and the outside world  concurrently. The cockpit view camera in MSFS does not show what human eyes will see in the same situation. There are very nice affects as you move through time, space and the clouds. Except for the fact that you can't read the gauges, whereas in real life you could.

The Asobo sim probably does show correctly on our monitors what a camera lens would see.

Did you change the EyeAdaption line in UserCfg.opt to 0 to turn it off?  Doing so exaggerates the effect. Turn it on...

{PostProcess
        Enabled 1
        EyeAdaptation 1
        ColorGrading 0

The effect will be less and will have the advantage of not changes lighting in the environment.  These screengrabs from my system show the effect with EyeAdaption set to 1. Notice the instrument panel is quite visible with bright sky outside.  You will never get rid of the effect, but it can be tamed 🙂

Lighting1.png

Lighting5.png

• Like 4

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Thank you, sir, did not know about this setting.

So I went to LSPU Munster (payware version) at 12:30 PM just past noon Munster time and spun the plane 180 degrees to face 44 degrees. I had eye adaption set at 0 all this time for ages.

Eye adaption 0

spacer.png

----

Eye adaption 1

spacer.png

I can see the dash better after changing to 1. So you're correct, it helps.

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

6 hours ago, mikegrr said:

What does "ColorGrading 0 " do?

I don't know what it does myself.

7 hours ago, mikegrr said:

What does "ColorGrading 0 " do?

It will increase saturation of colours.  In most cases though it is too much.  Grass can be too bright - I have seen extra green roads and purple fields.  Try it 🙂

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

5 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

It will increase saturation of colours.  In most cases though it is too much.  Grass can be too bright - I have seen extra green roads and purple fields.  Try it 🙂

I fully agree on that one, I just found the setting because of this thread and it actually looks more natural to me. I deactivated film grain a long time ago already for a clearer image. I dont get the obsession of asobo to simulate a physical camera, with lens errors and clunky controls, when all you want in a flight sim is a natural look and intuitive controls for camera views, so you can get an as real as possible experience.

here is my PP setup in the cfg. Works great for me.

Enabled 1
        EyeAdaptation 1
        ColorGrading 0
        Sharpen 1
        Fringe 0
        LensDistortion 0
        Dirt 0
        LensFlare 1
        FilmGrain 0
        Vignette 0
        LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
        FringeMultiplier 1.000000

BTW what does "Dirt" do? I never noticed dirt effects on my MSFS cameras but i deactivated it, because I suspect more cattle excrement behind that. 😉
Just give us nice looking clouds, realistic reflections and chaseplane-like camera controls instead of all those JJ Abrams Hollywood movie filters.

Edited by Soulflight
  • Like 1

What is the default cfg for these settings?  In the C152 comparison shot I see no differences except that the shadow on the cockpit panel is a little lower resulting in more light on the top of the panel

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

What is the default cfg for these settings?  In the C152 comparison shot I see no differences except that the shadow on the cockpit panel is a little lower resulting in more light on the top of the panel

Default for ColorGrading is on.  The effect of EyeAdaption makes the transition from bright to dark a little less abrupt for me.

I have been using the Nvidia Freestyle filters and there is one where you can adjust Shadows, Highlights, Exposure, etc.  I was able to lighten VC shadows slightly so that the panels are not quite as dark along with toning down the washed-out look outside with the Highlights setting.  I cannot recall my exact settings off the top of my head but it might be worth trying.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

don't forget to put shadows from 2048 to 4096!

• Like 1

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

45 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I have been using the Nvidia Freestyle filters and there is one where you can adjust Shadows, Highlights, Exposure, etc.  I was able to lighten VC shadows slightly so that the panels are not quite as dark along with toning down the washed-out look outside with the Highlights setting.  I cannot recall my exact settings off the top of my head but it might be worth trying.

I used to have the brightness/shadow/highlight/exposure Freestyle filters on.  The problem here is EVERYTHING is going to change, not just what you want to change.  Turning Eye Adaption back on removed the need for these filters.