Sign in to follow this  
breakinghbts

Simple Texture Viewer/Editor

Just wondering if someone knows of a simple texture editor? There are some 3rd party liveries that I have that are just not quite right. In P3D I was using a program called GIMP. It made it really simple to adjust the colors, and then reformat and save the texture file. However, it does not work with any MSFS textures that I have tried. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

Hello @breakinghbts, I use GIMP for Windows to make small edits and adjustments to liveries.

For me it works fine. Can you explain what exactly it is that does not work for you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

Hello @breakinghbts, I use GIMP for Windows to make small edits and adjustments to liveries.

For me it works fine. Can you explain what exactly it is that does not work for you?

When I try to open a file, it responds with file type unknown. No matter what texture files I have tried, I always get the same response.

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

Gimp (and Photoshop) is still the best way to go for MSFS texture editing. I create all my textures with Gimp, and I can view a good number of 3rd-party textures as well. However, some files cannot be viewed; I suppose they are encrypted or have a format that is protected.

Peter

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

That is strange... are you using the most recent GIMP?

I think there was an issue with DDS files earlier...

DDS files are a bit temperamental. I think they are fine if compiled with DXT5 compression, but not otherwise. I am only speculating. Fact is that I can create dds textures with DXT5 and they work fine. I can also read textures from JustFlight, for instance.

With GIMP I have opened and edited textures for the following:

Milviz Porter

JF Arrows

FSW Chancellor

Plus many others from flightsim.to

11 minutes ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

That is strange... are you using the most recent GIMP?

I think there was an issue with DDS files earlier...

So I was using an outdated version. Updated, and now I get one of two responses, it seems every other time i try to open a file, it switches. 

"Unsupported DXGI format"

Or

"DDS image plug-in could not be read"

2 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

DDS files are a bit temperamental. I think they are fine if compiled with DXT5 compression, but not otherwise. I am only speculating. Fact is that I can create dds textures with DXT5 and they work fine. I can also read textures from JustFlight, for instance.

I am trying to adjust textures created for the PMDG -700. Maybe they require a different format than the DXT5? To be honest I have limited knowledge on these things.

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

It’s been a while since I installed GIMP but now I am realizing that it probably required adding a DDS plug-in.

13 minutes ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

It’s been a while since I installed GIMP but now I am realizing that it probably required adding a DDS plug-in.

I searched google, installed one from codes.google, that was recommended on various how to sites. It did not solve the issue however. I guess I'm resigned to hoping some of these liveries get adjusted. 

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. 

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

This is the livery I would like to adjust the most. If you can get it open, and I very much appreciate you trying. Then I will have to figure out what plug-in you have installed that I need. Thanks again for the help.

https://flightsim.to/file/33186/pmdg-737-700-us-airways-n588us-4k

-Tony@PVD

Edited for typo.

Edited by breakinghbts

Tony Moore

Whenever Gimp will not open a certain type of file, I try Irfanview which opens a lot more file types. I sometimes can then save the file in Irfanview and then now Gimp can open it. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

There is also the free Paint.net

I use it primarely to view DDS files or convert PNG's. Many compression options.

https://www.getpaint.net/

Can be downloaded from the MS Store also (not free).

Edited by Gerwil

I am using photoshop with the nVidia DDS plugin. Works perfectly, imports and exports all .DDS files with no issues.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11