Sign in to follow this  
7neophyte7

Fenix even the brakefans are modelled

3 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Note the carbon brakes on aircraft are not the same as the carbon ceramic brakes on high performance cars. They are typically carbon fibre strands within a graphite matrix. I think the automotive ones use other resins instead and sometimes the carbon is woven (not entirely sure on this, don't have the budget for those brakes on my own vehicle)?

Also I know some ground handling services can provide brake fans upon request during turnaround.

If the brakes are overheated they also recommend releasing parking brakes when chocks are in place to help them cool. Can't take off over a certain temperature limit. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If the brakes are overheated they also recommend releasing parking brakes when chocks are in place to help them cool. Can't take off over a certain temperature limit. 

This is mostly to avoid excessive heat transfer to the brake fluid which could reach boiling point via the pads touching the hot discs and less for cooling efficiency. Same principle applies to cars by the way, if you are stopping after a very enthusiastic driving session you should let your brakes cool before applying the park brake.

My amazement and appreciation for the "Fenix way" and how they're taking care of their customers while delivering one of (if not the most) complex and immersive aircraft implementation for a sim is never going to cease... @Aamir and team, please just keep on doing what you do, and MSFS will be all the better for it.

• Like 5

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

40 minutes ago, Makinen11 said:

This is mostly to avoid excessive heat transfer to the brake fluid which could reach boiling point via the pads touching the hot discs and less for cooling efficiency. Same principle applies to cars by the way, if you are stopping after a very enthusiastic driving session you should let your brakes cool before applying the park brake.

This is true.  There are many good practical reasons for it.  At the Nürburgring, after a few quick laps, I put my front wheels in a little gutter channel in the car park so that I didn't have to apply the parking brake.  I noticed a lot of other drivers doing it as well.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, Aamir said:

What is incorrect, however, is that our implementation drops the immediate temperature a little too much. So, we'll be tweaking that, that one is on me! Sorry about that!

Literally unflyable! 🙃

The A320 is already a gem of an aircraft, but thank you for continuing to make it better, even on the small things like brake fan temps.
There's no other jetliner add-on that I'd rather be flying - so much so, that I reinstalled MSFS especially.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

36 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

This is true.  There are many good practical reasons for it.  At the Nürburgring, after a few quick laps, I put my front wheels in a little gutter channel in the car park so that I didn't have to apply the parking brake.  I noticed a lot of other drivers doing it as well.

Your 2CV goes that fast?

• Like 1

To expand slightly further as I know there were some requests here - yes, we will look into expanding the brake modelling a little further to include some of the bits you guys were talking about. I'll be honest in saying you shouldn't expect this stuff to come immediately in the next couple of patches, but it's definitely on the radar.

As a fun little sidenote, next time any of you work up some temps in the brakes due to an RTO or a nice short field landing, once you park up (provided the brakes are still nice and toasty) - shut the airplane down and go for a walk-around. Pay close attention when you get to the main gear and more importantly, listen carefully!

• Like 4

Aamir Thacker

I just noticed also that the flaps shake when in turbulence or you overstress the aircraft by pulling up on the stick. Insane detail in this aircraft and it can only get better!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

I just noticed also that the flaps shake when in turbulence or you overstress the aircraft by pulling up on the stick. Insane detail in this aircraft and it can only get better!

well, you cannot "overstress" the plane while in normal law.  If memory serves me correctly, the sidestick load factor limit with flaps down is 0 - 2.0 G.  The flap shaking are simply aerodynamic forces...which Fenix modeled.