Sign in to follow this  
jrw4

How has release of FENIX impacted FBW's future?

11 minutes ago, sidnov said:

That's not entirely correct. The A32NX is free and open-source. The 3D model is currently the only thing borrowed from the default, though that too has been heavily modified to support things like the printer, EFB, etc. to name a few. Systems-wise, we don't rely on any default code from the Asobo 320Neo. 

A fundamental reason why such a collaboration is nearly impossible is, Fenix is a for-profit company selling aircraft add-ons, whereas FBW is and will remain open-source organization, with the goal of making the most accurate Airbus simulation available till date on desktop platforms, which is simply not viable commercially for a company looking to make profits.

Well the Fenix is pretty darn good, so I think FBW has some catching up to do. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

19 minutes ago, sidnov said:

That's not entirely correct. The A32NX is free and open-source. The 3D model is currently the only thing borrowed from the default, though that too has been heavily modified to support things like the printer, EFB, etc. to name a few. Systems-wise, we don't rely on any default code from the Asobo 320Neo. 

A fundamental reason why such a collaboration is nearly impossible is, Fenix is a for-profit company selling aircraft add-ons, whereas FBW is and will remain open-source organization, with the goal of making the most accurate Airbus simulation available till date on desktop platforms, which is simply not viable commercially for a company looking to make profits.

Thats a good point, even as of right now there are a few things the fbw simulates accurately that the fenix does not.  Overall however the fenix is obviously a more comprehensive simulation at this point. The fenix will continue to improve as will the fbw, but after a while being a for profit company fenix will need to focus effort towards a new product while the fbw a320 can be improved indefinitely since there is no financial requirement.  It may take years, but i think the fbw will eventually  surpass the fenix.

Edited by Pilot53

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well the Fenix is pretty darn good, so I think FBW has some catching up to do. 

I don't deny that at all, the Fenix 320 is a good released product, while the FBW A32NX is an aircraft still in open alpha. There's no catching up to do since there's no competition. The goals are just different

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

I think the Fenix has well and truly stolen the crown from the FBW airbus but they are separate projects. FBW have put a massive amount of effort and resource into their project and I believe this will continue over to new projects, A321 and A380.

Fenix will further refine what is already an exceptional product. With this standard of both payware and freeware projects I think the future for both is bright.

It is certainly what finally made me switch from Xplane 11 to MSFS. 

15 minutes ago, sidnov said:

I don't deny that at all, the Fenix 320 is a good released product, while the FBW A32NX is an aircraft still in open alpha. There's no catching up to do since there's no competition. The goals are just different

Yeah, it's a shame you even have to defend your free addon that got most of us through the MSFS early days. Especially considering it's simulating the newest version of the A320 available, with its own real world routes and liveries and capabilities that are not the same as the CEO.

Frankly, since the FBW is free, a real simmerwho was pretending to be an airline pilot would pull into the gate on the CEO, enjoy a 2 hour break at the airport, and fly the next leg on the NEO.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Not at all i would say , why it should ?

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.22H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Am I correct in believing that the Fenix in its current manifestation cannot neither be sold though the MSFS Store nor deployed on an XBox console? Is there any reason to think that the FBW, once "released" couldn't be available through the Store? What about the XBox?

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

10 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

Am I correct in believing that the Fenix in its current manifestation cannot neither be sold though the MSFS Store nor deployed on an XBox console? Is there any reason to think that the FBW, once "released" couldn't be available through the Store? What about the XBox?

Not gonna happen

tl:dr: lawyer stuff and some in-sim limitations

39 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

Given that the Fenix is PC only (due to components running completely outside the sim in the Windows OS) it cannot be sold on the MSFS marketplace, which then precludes it from XBox availability too.

The FBW is also not available on the MSFS marketplace due to https://flybywiresim.com/notams/marketplace-announcement/ , the net of it being some licensing issues and FBW also is considering running some components outside the sim.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

36 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

Yep not possible they have contracts that will not allow it. Sold exclusive on their Store.

Edited by jbdbow1970

Thanks for those answers, friends. Interesting.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Hasn't affected me at all - I'm keeping the FBW model, and look forward to its further development. The Fenix model is a bit above my level of studying, but best of luck to them too.

• Like 3

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

7 hours ago, Farlis said:

Why should it impact the FBW at all? FBW is free, simulates a different Airbus Model. There is no competition going on.

THIS!!!

Why is this even a topic?  FBW is FREE and very Study Level. The Fenix costs 69.95 US (or so). It too is Study Level, but you have to buy it first to find out. 

Free Excellent vs 69.95 Excellent. I have both, you should too. And again, why is this even a topic?

-B

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I use both, and will continue to do so, from what i have seen in flight, i would say there are still more FBW A320's in flight than possibly any other airliner at present.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 1x 2tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial 4tb Nvme M2 Drive

2 minutes ago, Car147 said:

I use both, and will continue to do so, from what i have seen in flight, i would say there are still more FBW A320's in flight than possibly any other airliner at present.

How did you determine that, and what is "flight"?

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310