Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

Can't copy some liveries to community folder

3 hours ago, Jarnie said:

It just concerned me that in the video tutorial where the author shows how to set up the path to the community folder he navigates to D:/FS2020/Community not the one above and as such I wondered if I was using the wrong community folder (I assumed that the MSFS installation created the one at D:/FS2020).

This author has moved his Community folder to a custom location.. MSFS did not create it there.

Bert

It's a great and easy tool to use.

John

Gigabyte Z390  m/b, I7 9700K cpu, 16Gb ram, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor, MSFS store edition

13 hours ago, Jarnie said:

One thing I am finding with Addon LInker which is MOST annoying is that when I go to another application (with it running) when I try and get back to Addon Linker it is not there and also there is no icon on the task bar at the bottom of the screen so I assume it is not running and try to launch it again only to be told it is already running.

Hello @Jarnie , do you still have an issue with this ? The icon should show at the bottom of the screen in the taskbar like all other programs. If it still doesn't, make sure you haven't checked the option 'use system tray when minimised' in the option screen because that option would hide the taskbar icon and sent it to the tray icons which are not visible by default. Let me know, thank you 🍻

5 hours ago, Bad_T said:

make sure you haven't checked the option 'use system tray when minimised' in the option screen

Yes it was checked so I have now unchecked it. I haven't though experienced the earlier problem of the application going to 'background processes'. I just minimized the process and they icon remained on the taskbar although I am not sure if I minimized it previously when I had the problem all I can remember that I was switching between processes at the time. I will advise if I notice the problem again. Thanks for the advice and I would 'buy you a coffee' if I knew how.🤑

• Like 1

John

Gigabyte Z390  m/b, I7 9700K cpu, 16Gb ram, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor, MSFS store edition

Actually I should have asked this question last time.

As this all uses links (I hope that is correct), then if there is an update to any scenery etc I assume then that all that is necessary is to copy the new version to where the user has his addons stored and Addon Linker does not have to be used, as long as the (scenery) filename is the same?

AND I noticed that my Aerosoft Twin Otter actually also has a link in the community folder (like the livery I just set up) and the actual files are at (on my system) H:/AerosoftOneLibrary/Addons/........

Edited by Jarnie
  • Like 1

John

it's a bit complicated to reply precisely unfortunately because i guess it depends on how the vendor has programmed his update process.

For example the Twin Otter, was the link created by AL or by an Aerosoft tool that installed it using links, if it's that other tool that created the link you should not touch it and the update process will probably be managed correctly by the Aerosoft program. In Addons linker, such links should appear with the different color (by default 'pale blue' meaning 'external links')

Now if it's a link that you created yourself, yes usually just putting the new files in the 'real' folder will do the job and the link will stay ok (it's just the folder that is linked so as long as the folder keeps the same name it should be ok.)

I'm not really sure if i reply correctly to your question or if i just add confusion 🙊🙃😁, feel free to send me a private message if you need more info and we'll check the situation in more details with some screenshots if necessary. Thank you 🍻

Edited by Bad_T

Thanks.  I have confused you by mentioning the Twin Otter and that would take care of itself I guess.

What I meant was updates to say 3rd party (freeware) scenery or any other addon where a file is downloaded and copied over the existing one on a users system.

John

yes for those you can just copy the new files over the old ones to update (or even better delete the existing folder before extracting the new version from the zip to keep things clean).As long as the folder name is the same as the previous version and in the same location, if a link for that addon already exists it will be kept. If for some reason a link becomes invalid, it should show up with a rose color background in the right view (in that case just delete the link and recreate it).

🥂

On 7/6/2022 at 1:38 AM, Jarnie said:

then if there is an update to any scenery etc I assume then that all that is necessary is to copy the new version to where the user has his addons stored and Addon Linker

There are several different cases regarding product updates with Addon Linker:

• If you bought addons from ORBX or Contrail, the libraries you used when installing the addons will be recognised by these two applications and will automatically update your products. I would guess the Aerosoft products would fall in this category.
  • If you bought them from Simmarket for example or developers like FSW, most installers will point you to the Community folder only, you will need to install them in the Community folder, zip them and move them in your own defined addon folder. If you need help with the process I can explain what VGBaron had shown me last year.
  • Even the PMDG DC6 can be moved to your own defined folder and be updated automatically, simply make sure it is linked with Addon-Linker before running the updater.
  • Finally, some scenery developers have their own tool and will not allow you to move them outside their folder (FSDT), but you can still link or unlink them through their own application.

The Addon Linker is the most useful and versatile tool for MSFS, Bad-T (which cannot stand for Bad Temper because he is the most helpful, patient and kind developer one can deal with!) has done a fantastic job! Congratulations to him.

Edited by Bernard Ducret
  • Like 1

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2,