Sign in to follow this  
timers15

Flying with Fenix A320, hard to dedicate time?

2 hours ago, Chapstick said:

So many of these replies are just like, "You actually don't want that functionality, because I would never use it."

Valid point. I suggest to Timers15 to open tickets with Fenix and raise his requests there. Maybe Aamir can implement the one or other feature. 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

SU10 beta has added an optional "Low Power Mode" setting under General Options->Experimental that drops CPU and GPU utilisation to low levels when the sim is minimised. It is also active in the main menu screen. It works pretty much as advertised.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

12 hours ago, timers15 said:

I really enjoy the Fenix A320, but it's hard to fly because I have to have dedicated time to do it. The main problems:

1. Saved flights don't work.

2. 2X time compression is not very useful.

3. Transit Option doesn't work.

4. The is no real pause, causing my PC to run hard and waste power.

So how do you guys do it?  Am I just missing something obvious? I'm thinking about getting a refund, but if Fenix is going to fix this I'm fine waiting.

BTW "other vendors" support options 1,3 and have time compression up to 8X which seems to work. I can save the flight and return later, transit to descent on the other, and use time compression.

Thanks!

So you want a refund becasue you dont have the time?.....wow

Do short flight like they are IRL, EGCC to EGLL, LPPR to LPPT.

If you cannot make 1-1:20 for a flight then flight simming might not be for you. But returning the Fenix becasue you cannot find the time and want them to "fix it"  is breath taking.😂 

• Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

5 hours ago, Nyxx said:

If you cannot make 1-1:20 for a flight then flight simming might not be for you.

Let me rephrase that to 'then doing airliner flights might not be for you'. 😉 I seldom have time enough to do a proper flight with the Fenix which is why I usually start with the turn around state (with instant loading of pax and cargo) and select flights that are below 400 nm. But even then I sometimes am not able to finish a flight. Which sucks. So I hope Fenix will add a save flight options. Anyway, due to this I often fly the C310 instead and save the Fenix A320 for those times I actually do have the time for a proper flight. This plane is way too good to return it...!!! The Fenix A320 and the Milviz C310 are the only planes I fly.

7 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

SU10 beta has added an optional "Low Power Mode" setting under General Options->Experimental that drops CPU and GPU utilisation to low levels when the sim is minimised. It is also active in the main menu screen. It works pretty much as advertised.

Sounds nice. That would enable me to do longer flights: I could pause the sim when I need to do something else and can come back later to proceed. I never ever fly without me sitting behind the screen: letting it fly on AP for a few hours while I am shopping or in sleeping is a no go for me. Little problem may be that I do have problems every now and then when I unpause the sim... so I do prefer a saving option. Not realistic but nice to have just in case. I often don't know upfront how much time I have for flying.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Little problem may be that I do have problems every now and then when I unpause the sim... so I do prefer a saving option.

I'm not sure if the fuel still being used while paused bug has been solved in the beta. I suppose a test flight with just enough fuel to reach the destination should clarify that.

Actually, both are valid requests: (1) we need a true pause for MSFS that stops the computer from blowing and getting hot, (2) the Fenix needs a jump to next waypoint feature. There is no way we can force or even convince Asobo or Fenix to implement this, unfortunately. I don't think it is going to happen.

• Like 1

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

1 hour ago, flyingpauls said:

Actually, both are valid requests: (1) we need a true pause for MSFS that stops the computer from blowing and getting hot, (2) the Fenix needs a jump to next waypoint feature. There is no way we can force or even convince Asobo or Fenix to implement this, unfortunately. I don't think it is going to happen.

If your computer gets hot when paused, there is something wrong with it. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I've just confirmed that fuel being used while paused is still an issue. Fuel went from 1.6t to 0.8 in about 30 minutes in the PMDG 737. Since Fenix uses an external flight model I guess that would need it's own testing.

19 hours ago, timers15 said:

The problem with the pause function is the sim stays running using lots of power. I don't like leaving the pc on for an extended time wasting power. 

Try hitting escape, then navigate to the load a saved flight option, when prompted with a request for the saved file, do nothing. On my machine, this significantly reduces power consumption. Just cancel out when you want to resume. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingpauls said:

You forgot number (3): a save flight option that works.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

As it is now MSFS when paused keeps on using the system as if it is not paused. It's a known problem. If your PC gets hot while flying it will also get hot while pausing. This makes pausing the sim and going away for an hour or two a bit problematic which is why people would like to see MSFS using less resources when paused. Asobo knows about this problem and hence added an option to remedy this in SU10. I am happy for you your PC apparently never gets hot but that's not the case for everyone. ;)

2 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

I'm not sure if the fuel still being used while paused bug has been solved in the beta. I suppose a test flight with just enough fuel to reach the destination should clarify that.

The fuel wasn't the problem in my case: the PC would become unresponsive or MSFS would lock up. This only happened when I paused MSFS for a longer period (like half an hour or longer).

20 hours ago, MySound said:

So you want a refund from Fenix because there is no „pause“ in MSFS which pauses the whole process and puts it to a hibernate state? 

ok….

Not, that's not what I said at all. Brutally put, PMDG and Leonardo have time acceleration, save games and the maddog even supports "skip ahead".  Why doesn't the Fenix have it?

In fact, I'm just going to tell myself they are working on it since I probably can't get a refund. They probably are anyway.

Hiberation is a work around I want to try because MSFS never sleeps.  It runs the CPU hard even at the menu.

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Today computers scale up their clocks when they are working. This results in the CPU getting hotter. The fans rev up to compensate. I've tried 2 air coolers and both speed up when MSFS is running, paused or not.

There's nothing wrong with the computer if the game is "paused" but the cpu has high utilization.  That's actually a software problem.

Hey Thanks guys!  This Quantan Leap and Low Power Option sound promising. 

Edited by timers15
i cant type and internet