I just picked up a 3080 with 12 GB vram. This will replace my trusty 1080 with 8 GB vram. It was on a flash sale  at newegg, good for 12 hours. What kind of improved performance can I look for in the new card.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

18 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

I just picked up a 3080 with 12 GB vram. This will replace my trusty 1080 with 8 GB vram. It was on a flash sale  at newegg, good for 12 hours. What kind of improved performance can I look for in the new card.

Greg

This might help somewhat: GeForce RTX 3080 10GB vs GTX 1080 Ti 11GB l 2160p

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Am I missing something? It looks to me like there is no visual difference at all. Or, maybe it's just my 80-year-old eyes.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I don't think you can expect a big visual difference just performance

• Like 1

Cordialement,
Jean-Marc.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F, i9 13900K, 64 Go DDR5 Ram 4800 Mhz, RTX3090, 3 SSD M2 1TO, Alimentation Bequiet  1600 W, 2 Benq W1080ST

Greg, I just upgrade a few weeks ago with the same upgrade.  I went from a 1080 to a 3080ti.  To me, this has contributed to the biggest difference in performance in my 40 years of working with PC's and 20 years of flight simming and development.  Granted, I upgraded everything (in my signature),  but I am getting great performance.  I have not overclocked anything yet I have settings on ultra for both P3Dv5 and MSFS.  I upgraded from 1080p to 1440 display so to me it was worth it.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

On 8/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, gregmorin said:

Greg

What are the specs of your other components? 

I went from a i5-9600K & 1080TI to an i7-12700K & 3080TI recently, don't expect to be able to run complex aircraft like the Fenix A320 or PMDG 737 at 60FPS in 4K at complex airports on Ultra settings as it will not happen with any hardware today. For the above 2 aircraft I lock my fps at 30 and always make sure I am always GPU limited. I run 4K and have every setting maxed out (@30FPS) and push my render scale to 130 to keep the 3080TI around 70% - 80% utilized. Making sure I am never Main Thread Limited gives a very stable frametime which is important for fluid performance without stutters.

For less demanding aircraft and airports I can easily achieve a consistent 60fps with a few settings tweaks but your mileage may vary depending on the rest of your system. As long as you have realistic expectations and take the time to tune the settings to your hardware you should see an improvement. Before I rebuilt my system I did try the 3080TI with my i5-9600K and saw a massive jump in the visuals of the sim. I would say the 3080TI was a really good upgrade.

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Thanks for the information. I am running an I7 8770K at 4.8. My limited factor in P3DV5.3 was the 8GB VRAM. I got very stable performance at detailed airports with the PMDG aircraft but had to limit the resolution to 1084. I am hoping to be able to upgrade the resolution with the additional 4GB Vram.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

The best compromise is to just run 1440p on a 4k TV or monitor and let it upscale. It looks the same as 4k for the most part, a few tiny differences that you have to pixel peep to notice. 

I have a card with similar performance to the 3080 (the AMD 6900xt), and I can tell you they both have plenty of juice for MSFS. When running VR mode is the only time you will really be wanting for a bit more, but you only have to turn down a couple things.

You can get incredibly cheap 4k TV's that have higher contrast than all the monitors except the QD-OLED monitors, if you can fit the larger size TV as a monitor. The 43" - 4k TCL TV I am using has a 6000:1 contrast ratio, auto-switches to gaming mode correctly, and was $250 and is close in sharpness when comparing to the Dell 4k monitor I had. There are some sleep mode annoyances with TV's though.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

On 8/13/2022 at 3:12 PM, Alpine Scenery said:

The best compromise is to just run 1440p on a 4k TV or monitor and let it upscale. It looks the same as 4k for the most part, a few tiny differences that you have to pixel peep to notice. 

I have a card with similar performance to the 3080 (the AMD 6900xt), and I can tell you they both have plenty of juice for MSFS. When running VR mode is the only time you will really be wanting for a bit more, but you only have to turn down a couple things.

You can get incredibly cheap 4k TV's that have higher contrast than all the monitors except the QD-OLED monitors, if you can fit the larger size TV as a monitor. The 43" - 4k TCL TV I am using has a 6000:1 contrast ratio, auto-switches to gaming mode correctly, and was $250 and is close in sharpness when comparing to the Dell 4k monitor I had. There are some sleep mode annoyances with TV's though.

Which TCL TV do you have? I also use a 43 inch 4 series and haven't had any issues with sleep mode 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

3 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Which TCL TV do you have? I also use a 43 inch 4 series and haven't had any issues with sleep mode 

The Roku version which is the TCL 43s435.
Do you have the Android version?

2 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

The Roku version which is the TCL 43s435.
Do you have the Android version?

No I have the same Roku version.

What issues are you seeing?

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

5 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

No I have the same Roku version.

What issues are you seeing?

If the TV turns itself off or goes into screensaver mode, the only way to wake up the TV to send output back to HDMI 1 is to hit a button on the remote, or in more extreme cases when the TV is fully sleeping I have to hit the power button. It's not that big of a deal but kind of annoying.

It could be my AMD GPU or maybe I have a setting wrong, maybe Nvidia has better sleep support.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

On 8/12/2022 at 9:10 AM, gregmorin said:

Thanks for the information. I am running an I7 8770K at 4.8. My limited factor in P3DV5.3 was the 8GB VRAM. I got very stable performance at detailed airports with the PMDG aircraft but had to limit the resolution to 1084. I am hoping to be able to upgrade the resolution with the additional 4GB Vram.

Greg

I'm running a 6700K and just upgraded to a 3080 12 GB. My monitor is an ASUS PG279Q (1440p) and it was a nice bump in quality because I was able to raise all non-main thread related settings to ultra: shadows, reflections, water waves, etc., clouds on high. I was even able to bump render scale to 110 to take advantage of the better sharpening that kicks in over 100 render scale (with my 1070 that killed GPU performance and I could not go over 100). I'm almost always main thread limited, but it's rarely a problem because I lock at 33 fps in the sim (refresh 100 mHz with vsync set at 20 in-sim). I'm not on the SU10 beta, but I get VERY smooth performance in all but the most demanding situations in the PMDG 737. With your 8770k you'll be slightly less limited, but will mostly see what I do - main thread limited unless you really dial back TLOD.

Was making an approach into KDTW in the PMDG last night and remarking to myself how it looked like watching a movie - so smooth and great visuals.

Next step is going to be a new MB and 12700K, but I'm having trouble parting with another $600 or so because it's working so well now in all but really demanding situations - and even then it's pretty good.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB