Sign in to follow this  
tup61

ATC addons comparison (first draft)

23 minutes ago, tup61 said:

I've been watching a few new video's this week in which ProATC is being used and it looks quite good but...

1. the voices are an absolute mess... specially how various voices are often used in a single sentence. Totally immersion killing. This is the main thing that is keeping me from buying it.

I improved this situation by only enabling very limited number of voices. Yes, you loose some variety but I think it improved it.

8 minutes ago, YouDontKnow said:

I'm a little bit lost.

Is FSHud able to control the Live traffic injected by MSFS on flight?

No, FSHud injects its own traffic. MSFS traffic has to be turned off. Because FSHud injects its own traffic it can also control it a 100%. No other ATC can do this.

Edited by tup61
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 11:29 AM, tup61 said:

FSHud

SID, STAR and approaches
Planned during preflight
Planned procedures can be changed during the flight by the pilot

Only now I'm realizing that FSHud is not able to adjust during the arrival the STAR in accordance with the weather.

Very disappointing.

Someone knows if it will be implemented or not?

1 minute ago, tup61 said:

No, FSHud injects its own traffic. MSFS traffic has to be turned off. Because FSHud injects its own traffic it can also control it a 100%. No other ATC can do this.

Which is the source of the traffic for FSHud?

7 minutes ago, YouDontKnow said:

Which is the source of the traffic for FSHud?

It is its own source...? No clue where it gets the data from. It can read AIG data but AIG is not required. Interesting question... 

1 minute ago, tup61 said:

It is its own source...? No clue where it gets the data from. It can read AIG data but AIG is not required. Interesting question... 

it is actually, or other source of flightplan data that's encoded it the bgl files. The executables are not required though, as you said, since the injection is done by FSHUD. This allows the program to control AI which are otherwise handled by the MSFS ATC once they are spawned.

The price for FSHUD controlling the AI is many cpu cycles. This is why traffic volumes under FSHUD are so small.

While the idea of ATC that actually controls AI in addition to dispensing instructions to the user plane sounds neat on paper , I think its a clear case of diminishing returns especially when you're dealing with larger airports that look rather barren under FSHUD.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:59 AM, Pete Dowson said:

With Pilot2ATC you can assign a button or keypress (I use a quick press on my PTT button on the yoke) to operate "say it", which will handle all the responses you need. You really only need to say a few easy phrases yourself (like the "ready to copy", as you say, to get initial clearance).

I never need to use the P2A window itself. I display the Conversation Text file on a small in-cockpit screen using a facility designed for this in WideClient and a Lua plug-in.

My Pilot2ATC runs on a separate WideFS client PC which is connected to my headset and overhead speakers. I use a Lua plug-in ("triple-use") to have three functions on the yoke's PTT button:

Short single press = Say It (acknowledge in general)
   Press and hold = PTT
   Short double press = Say again?

These are assigned to keypresses via WideFS's "KeySend" facility.

Pete

Hello Pete

Would you mind to tell me where I can find instructions on how to do the conversation text file using WideClient and a Lua plug-in you mencioned?

Thank you!

5 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

I think its a clear case of diminishing returns especially when you're dealing with larger airports that look rather barren under FSHUD.

Er...? Here is a picture of EHAM with AIG traffic (at 100%), so using the AIG Controller ONLY:

spacer.png

And here is a picture of EHAM, exact same time and circumstances, with FSHud (also set at the fullest), so FSHud injecting AIG aircraft... which it also controls btw:

2-EHAM-FSHud.png

I didn't count the planes but FSHud even seems to show just a few aircraft more. But you certainly can NOT say airports are 'rather barren' with FSHud.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YouDontKnow said:

Only now I'm realizing that FSHud is not able to adjust during the arrival the STAR in accordance with the weather.

Very disappointing.

Someone knows if it will be implemented or not?

I asked on the FSHud forum: here's the reply!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

I asked on the FSHud forum: here's the reply!

If they can get approach assignments on arrival working, it would be back on my list.  As it stands, that's an essential feature and they are disqualified until they can do it 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tup61 said:

Er...? Here is a picture of EHAM with AIG traffic (at 100%), so using the AIG Controller ONLY:

And here is a picture of EHAM, exact same time and circumstances, with FSHud (also set at the fullest), so FSHud injecting AIG aircraft... which it also controls btw:

I didn't count the planes but FSHud even seems to show just a few aircraft more. But you certainly can NOT say airports are 'rather barren' with FSHud.

Unless something had changed recently, AIG TC would spawn around 200 aircraft, FSHUD around 60 - that was my experience so far , anyway. Perhaps something had changed...

1 hour ago, ha5mvo said:

Unless something had changed recently, AIG TC would spawn around 200 aircraft, FSHUD around 60 - that was my experience so far , anyway. Perhaps something had changed...

Yes, well, FSHud is a work in progress: that can be seen as a negative but also as a positive. 😉 The last update added a few configurable options to optimize/change how traffic is being loaded and it seems to work. Afaik the max is 120 but that's enough for me for now LOL

Anyway, FSHud is actively being worked on and it shows. It's kinda nice being able to experience this journey FSHud is making. Other ATC addons will perhaps get bug fixes and so on but FSHud has a whole unknown future ahead. (I hope LOL) I won't be looking at other ATC addons for quite some time. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Abrupto said:

Would you mind to tell me where I can find instructions on how to do the conversation text file using WideClient and a Lua plug-in you mencioned?

Inside the WideFS.zip package there's another ZIP called "TextMenu display Lua package".  Check the section in the PDF in there for Text File display facilities

Note that this was aimed at P3D. With MSFS the SimConnect text facilities won't work.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

FSHud received an update today. Yes, during the weekend. There was a little bug in it. Reported it on the FSHud forum and got the reply a new version would be online within half an hour. 5 minutes later it was there. The new update didn't fix the bug for me. Posted again on the forum. Received a tip within a few minutes. Problem solved. Within no time and all on a saturday. I like FSHud. 😉

BTW The latest version allows a max of 200 parked and 200 active aircraft, due to popular demand. Take note though that a lot of AI can hurt fps, regardless of CPU usage.

• Like 3