ATC addons comparison (first draft)

On 8/27/2022 at 9:20 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

• the voices are not that good

Which atc addon has good voices?

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Which atc addon has good voices?

Pilot2atc plus ivonna package voices is the perfection

8 hours ago, rob0203 said:

Just to add FSHud is now compatible with FSLTL!

I hear the FSLTL talking now in my flight from EIDW to LDDU.

FSLTL recognizes that FSHud is running and they talk to each other!

This puts FSHud at the top of my consideration list. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

13 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

If I recall correctly, Pilot2ATC has a trial version (I think ProATC may not, but I am not sure). Just give it a try and see if you like it.

Peter

There’s no trial version for PROATC. But I will explore the trial for Pilot2ATC and see if I can memorize the instructions.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

BTW The latest version of FSHud also (almost) solves the jumping AI problem. Great update, great ATC addon.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tup61 said:

BTW The latest version of FSHud also (almost) solves the jumping AI problem. Great update, great ATC addon.

The last time I used FSHud the AI movement were far from smooth. But I just tried it today, and was quite impressed. I followed an Iberia IBE31KM departure from EDDM, and the movement was very smooth, both on the ground and in the air. 

But the activity at EDDM seems lacklustre. I've set active aircraft to 100, and after spotting for 10-15 minutes I've only seen one departure, that's it.  

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

15 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

The last time I used FSHud the AI movement were far from smooth. But I just tried it today, and was quite impressed. I followed an Iberia IBE31KM departure from EDDM, and the movement was very smooth, both on the ground and in the air. 

But the activity at EDDM seems lacklustre. I've set active aircraft to 100, and after spotting for 10-15 minutes I've only seen one departure, that's it.  

Did you try it together with FSLTL? I have good real traffic with this combo!

1) Make sure you update FSLTL too.
2) Then in FSHUD setup just "external".
3) After you started FSHUD, then start FSLTL.
4) When you start FSLTL you should see it say it's injecting data for FSHud
Edited by rob0203

2 minutes ago, rob0203 said:

Did you try it together with FSLTL?

Yes. Testing at EDDF now as EDDM didn't have that many arrivals at the time according to FR24. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Just now, Cpt_Piett said:

Yes. 

Ok I had quite a lot of traffic at EIDW.

But it will get better with new updates, i think!

25 minutes ago, rob0203 said:

Ok I had quite a lot of traffic at EIDW.

But it will get better with new updates, i think!

Yes it's already heaps better than when I got it 1-2 months ago. 

Getting a lot of departures now at EDDF. Going for a quick flight to EBBR in the HJet. The phraseology is also a lot better than default ATC. An example from an aircraft that just landed at 25R:

"Frankfurt ground, Eurotrans 6717 heavy, runway vacated with papa 16."

Btw, does FSHud inject GA traffic? 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

So here is my experiences with Pilot2ATC, FSHud, and ProATC/SR:

Pilot2ATC:

PROS:

Never had a vectoring issue for ILS.

Free 10 day trial.

Drew a taxi line on the map for you to follow.

Does not need a microphone. There is a way around that and it works just the same.

CONS:

Has a very strong learning curve

Very outdated UI

Lack of ATC talking with AI aircraft. Gives the feeling you are all alone. 

the default voices are very robotic at best.

SID/STAR was never assigned to me. (Could have been my settings or me importing simbrief).

Not once did the ATC ever step me down on descent it was always “cleared VIA STAR” and was on you to know when to descend and to what level… Rather impractical to me.

Was told multiple times to hold position or hold short for no reason when this does not recognize AI traffic.

FSHUD:

First let me say I haven’t used it since it released as I had a lot of issues. 

PROS:

Controls AI aircraft.

Injects traffic/works with FSLTL.

Support is super responsive and seem like they want to make a good product.

had an arrow for you to use to help you taxi.

Interface is nicely done and easy to use.

Does not need a microphone.

CONS:

You had to assign your runway, SID, STAR . These did not change due to weather.

Unless you build your flight plan a specific way you would not get stepped down it was the same cleared via STAR.

Voices were okay. 

Traffic movement was horrendous (not blaming the addon as a lot of it is due to MSFS)

the injector routine did not inject traffic.

If the injector did not know your airline you just got called a bunch of numbers. Along with this major airlines such as Frontier was not recognized. 

No one knows when they will actually get around to having SID/STAR assigned even though they do a lot of updates a lot of them are extremely small bug fixes. 

FSHud will not work with airports bought through the marketplace as well .

PROATC/SR:

PROS:

Voices are good if you turn off ones that you wouldn’t normally hear in your area. 

Flight planning is easy.

Assigns SID/STAR runway.

Steps down ALT.

Works pretty well.

Does not need a microphone.

CONS:

ATC will vector you every single approach. At least for me. No matter what I was vector to the left then back to the right and back to the left. It would descend me to 1500 and then I would finally catch the LOC at the very last waypoint before the runway…

ATC will also vector you straight into the ground which is what happened on my last flight into KSLC. 

Lack of updates. However, this developer is known for that. Same thing they did with Proatc-X.

The developer/moderators on the forums do NOT take any type of complaint. Everything will always be “pilot (you) error”

They also will ban you if you do not put your full real name in your signature on their forum… (power hungry much?)

Does not control AI traffic but does talk with it. 

Will never be told to hold position or anything. 

will be cleared for take off with an AI actively landing right in front of you on same runway.

the main thing no one has said is ProATC/SR only works with 4 aircraft. Those being Fenix a320, PMDG 736/737, Leonardo Maddog X. If you use it for MSFS.

The program has been out for over 2 months and has not had an update. All the forum will say is “it’s planned for a fix in an update” My honest opinion is if they do an update it won’t be anything major (hopefully I’m wrong).

The other big negative is the god awful “makerunways” program for ProATC/SR to read all the airports including your addon ones. First there is no good instructions on how to know if this worked when you ran it. Also the user manual in general for the program is very crappy. For instance I use the Inibuilds KLAX. I have run “makerunways” at least 3 times and it still will not read the airport correctly. it has gates at wrong terminals as well as when you taxi it will just say “TAXI VIA (blank) to gate X” The map it comes with to show you the airport and taxiways is broken and doesn’t show most of the taxiways  

All in all there is no perfect ATC addon… it’s going to be a compromise about what you are wanting and willing to live without. I would easily go back to FSHud if they ever do make it so it assigns SID/STAR as I feel that’s a major part of ATC. But also in the real world your airline dispatcher is the one who makes your entire flight plan and files it with ATC. So simbrief assigning runway, SID, STAR is accurate, but as always ATC has the final say and authority to change it at any time.

Edited by SyphiliticWeasel
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SyphiliticWeasel said:

Was told multiple times to hold position or hold short for no reason when this does not recognize AI traffic.

Pilot2ATC does recognize AI traffic. It just does not control it.

Guess I'm sticking with default ATC / RW Traffic for now... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, Ohmsquare said:

Pilot2ATC does recognize AI traffic. It just does not control it.

This must be a newer feature then because when I used it, it did not. I just found out that they have been updating it. The last time I used was in late 2020 to early 2021. 

9 hours ago, SyphiliticWeasel said:

the main thing no one has said is ProATC/SR only works with 4 aircraft. Those being Fenix a320, PMDG 736/737, Leonardo Maddog X. If you use it for MSFS.

That's not correct... you can use ProATC/SR with any aircraft.  I believe the 4 aircraft you mentioned also have flight plan export capability and additional custom "first officer" functionality and checklists (which I personally never use).