Sign in to follow this  
Epgd

CU1 = City update 1

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yeah, maybe next time post a source instead of just saying it.

Yep! Sources, references, links, please! Otherwise it's no more than a rumour!

He said a bunch of German cities, not just Cologne.

Nice to see Cologne getting PG!

Speaking of "a bunch of German cities" ... I'd love to see Heidelberg get PG. One of the most iconic cities in Germany, favourite destination of about half of the tourists in Germany 😉  lived there for a couple of years and it's just such a beautiful place!

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Could be a German Local Legend also. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

I think Cologne already has photogrammetry,

No it does not. It does in Google Maps, but not in Bing.

3 minutes ago, Farlis said:

but not in Bing.

It does, but it's not in MSFS yet, you can see it in the Windows Maps App.

If you had read the rest of the posts before replying, I corrected my mistake in a later post.

Edited by Tuskin38

8 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

If you had read the rest of the posts before replying, I corrected my mistake in a later post.

Cool. They updated it since the last time I checkt the app. My hometown now also has PG. Fingers crossed that this coverage is ported over to MSFS. Especially because it looks like it is from last year. Brand spanking new. 

Edited by Farlis

Why not just call it WU Germany and have the update include a few cities - like most of the other World Updates did?

Curious what prompted the change in naming - there's probably something special about the update process this time around. New PG scanning / generation technique? 

Hmmmmm...

I took a look at some German cities in the Maps app, and found some cities with photogrammetry coverage that isn't in MSFS yet:

Cologne (as already mentioned), Freiburg, Bonn, Hanover, Dortmund, Magdeburg, Düsseldorf...

Not saying the list is complete, just spent a couple of minutes looking around. And of course it doesn't mean all these cities are coming to MSFS, there have been some differences between the data in MSFS and the app in the past. 

I'm surprised that Stuttgart isn't included - it's the 6th largest city in Germany, and the only one among the ten largest cities that doesn't have 3d coverage in the Windows Maps app.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

4 minutes ago, pstrub said:

there have been some differences between the data in MSFS and the app in the past. 

Yeah, it can also be down to the data provider wanting to allow it in the Sim.

Jorge has said in the past they've had data providers who allow it on Bing to not allow it in MSFS, and the reverse has also been true, a Data provider allowing it in MSFS, but not in Bing.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, enright said:

Why not just call it WU Germany and have the update include a few cities - like most of the other World Updates did?

Curious what prompted the change in naming - there's probably something special about the update process this time around. New PG scanning / generation technique? 

Hmmmmm...

It's merely another Marketing exercise, do something a bit different, change the name, make it look cool etc etc

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Be interesting to see what this entails.  I might guess that if they are making a specific "City" release that its more than just the addition of new photogrammetry.  If they are able to harness the same types/numbers of artists that make the world updates, you could hope for a lot of custom hand built landmarks, bridges, etc.  Maybe even animated features where appropriate.  If they focused on a single city it could be something really exceptional.

... and ./cough since I did guess 'City Update' before this announcement (ok, so it was my second guess following continent update, but who's counting), my opinion has sooo much more weight .. (tongue in cheek)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enright said:

Hmmmmm...

My theory is MS/Asobo has got a bunch of new photogrammetry cities, but they don't want to wait until they have a new full world update ready before adding them.

I could be wrong, but that's what makes sense to me. We'll find out tomorrow.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, pstrub said:

photogrammetry coverage that isn't in MSFS yet:

Cologne (as already mentioned), Freiburg…

I thought Freiburg was part of a previous update. 

• Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

32 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

My theory is MS/Asobo has got a bunch of new photogrammetry cities, but they don't want to wait until they have a new full world update ready before adding them.

I could be wrong, but that's what makes sense to me. We'll find out tomorrow.

Yeah, Cologne is definitely new. I know because I’ve checked it a few times on the maps app. It’s like Lisbon, they’ve put in the app a few weeks/months before the Iberic update.

Also, I think Christchurch, NZ will be a candidate as this city is covered by PG for a while now, but not in the sim. 

I’ve suggested on the official forums this kind of update a long time ago, besides new PG cities, I hope they can update satellite imagery for some parts of the World. Two examples: the islands of Saint Helena and Ascension Island on the pacific. On the app they have nice imagery, but in sim they are covered by default textures.

Edited by ca_metal

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

27 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I thought Freiburg was part of a previous update. 

Maybe it was. I just compared with the release notes of the original release (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/list-of-photogrammetry-cities-regions/184321/2and of the World Update Germany/Austria/Switzerland (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/release-release-notes-1-19-8-0-world-update-vi-germany-austria-switzerland-now-available/449455).

It wasn't an in-depth comparison, just a quick look I wanted to share 😉 

32 minutes ago, pstrub said:

Maybe it was. I just compared with the release notes of the original release (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/list-of-photogrammetry-cities-regions/184321/2and of the World Update Germany/Austria/Switzerland (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/release-release-notes-1-19-8-0-world-update-vi-germany-austria-switzerland-now-available/449455).

It wasn't an in-depth comparison, just a quick look I wanted to share 😉 

I didn‘t mean to be nitpicky, it just caught my eye. I can‘t remember when it was updated either. Sometime after the DACH update. 

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2