Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Tobii Eye tracker 5 yes or no?

14 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Where do you have it located, under the screen or above ? Pics ?

Under the main screen. I stick the Tobii bar on the plastic rim below the LCD screen. It just fit.

Edited by AspenTCL

2 hours ago, riccardo74 said:

unless you want to  look around continuosly in the cockpit you can forget any tracking system.

I use TrackIR and so far I have managed to keep my head still when I want too.  If my head does suddenly start moving continuously, I'll report it here after seeing my doctor.

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I don't understand why people think the TrackIr is uncomfortable. All you have to do is put on a baseball cap. Boom. Done. I can't fly without my TrackIr and I found it much more realistic compared to the eye tracker. 

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I use TrackIR and so far I have managed to keep my head still when I want too.  If my head does suddenly start moving continuously, I'll report it here after seeing my doctor.

lol      😃

Edited by icewater5
focus

3 hours ago, mikeklimek said:

I've had and tried both Trackir5 and Tobii.  For the latter, I liked not having to wear any headgear, but I did find Trackir to be more precise.  Even with eye tracking turned off and using only the head tracking on Tobii, it seemed to not be quite as precise as Trackir.  That said, both solutions are great, imo.  

I found the same thing. Even with eye tracking turned off Tobii seemed to jump around a little. Maybe it's just because I've been using TrackIR for so long. I always wear a headset so the TrackIR gear doesn't bother me.

• Like 2

NAX669.png

I use a comfortable headset and so the TrackIR pro thingy is attached to that and it's not an issue. I think a headset is as mandatory as any other gear in this sim and thankfully the sim has a headset simulation mode for external sounds.

The head tracking is amazing. I don't know if eye tracking allows you to physically look down at the circuit panel on the Kodiak for example or back at the cargo hold, but TrackIR does that extremely well.

Regardless of what solution, these head tracking tools are an epic game changer for the sim.  It feels so natural and is so helpful, I couldn't live without it now.

• Like 1

Been using TrackIR for years and love the accuracy and configurations options! On FSX/P3D, I had to reset the eyepoint every 15 minutes or so, but that is no longer the case with MSFS. Stayed away from Tobbi due to above mentioned issues.

My family's ONLY concern with TrackIR is when I forget I'm still wearing the clip on my hat and walk outside looking like I'm wearing an alien communications antenna 🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I use a comfortable headset and so the TrackIR pro thingy is attached to that and it's not an issue. I think a headset is as mandatory as any other gear in this sim and thankfully the sim has a headset simulation mode for external sounds.

The head tracking is amazing. I don't know if eye tracking allows you to physically look down at the circuit panel on the Kodiak for example or back at the cargo hold, but TrackIR does that extremely well.

Regardless of what solution, these head tracking tools are an epic game changer for the sim.  It feels so natural and is so helpful, I couldn't live without it now.

I have been using the Track IR Visor for years. It has an open top, is very light and I forget I have it on most of the time. No wires, or headset required. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

13 hours ago, mwilk said:

I found the same thing. Even with eye tracking turned off Tobii seemed to jump around a little. Maybe it's just because I've been using TrackIR for so long. I always wear a headset so the TrackIR gear doesn't bother me.

Same.  The steadiness of TrackIR is what edges it out for me and I continue to go with that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I looked into it and settled on TrackIR because I use a 77" display about 5' away and my research said that eye tracker needs to be arm's length away... so it really depends on your setup.

Of course you can always not mount the Tobii eye tracker at the bottom of the tv and mount it just above your controls at your seat position, i had the same issue with the track ir emitter, used to have to mount this off monitor close to my seating position.

I prefer the eye tracker now: no headgear, no sunlight interference, very little set up tuning, but does need a proper pause integration in the sim that doesn't reset to centre.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Simple B said:

Of course you can always not mount the Tobii eye tracker at the bottom of the tv and mount it just above your controls at your seat position, i had the same issue with the track ir emitter, used to have to mount this off monitor close to my seating position.

I prefer the eye tracker now: no headgear, no sunlight interference, very little set up tuning, but does need a proper pause integration in the sim that doesn't reset to centre.

With the eye tracker, does it allow you to do things like move your head to look at the flaps on the wings? The amazing thing with IR tracker is I can actually move my head to look around the b-pillar or the co-pilot to see stuff like that out the left and right sides. I can also look down and be effectively looking at the Kodiak fuse panel near the floor. Does the eye tracker support that kind of stuff?

On 8/26/2022 at 11:38 AM, Virtual-Chris said:

With the eye tracker, does it allow you to do things like move your head to look at the flaps on the wings? The amazing thing with IR tracker is I can actually move my head to look around the b-pillar or the co-pilot to see stuff like that out the left and right sides. I can also look down and be effectively looking at the Kodiak fuse panel near the floor. Does the eye tracker support that kind of stuff?

Not sure I totally understand what you mean. You can set up custom views and then move your head to look at other directions in these views. 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, Simple B said:

Tobii provides two magnets for you to secure the device on two different locations interchangeably. That way you can easily move the device to a different location. say if your lighting condition changes. I have a bright light on the ceiling but the good thing is the tracking does not seem to be affected by it. However, the sticky tapes on the back of the magnets are not that strong. I use some stronger double sided tape to help hold them in place.  

19 minutes ago, AspenTCL said:

Not sure I totally understand what you mean. You can set up custom views and then move your head to look at other directions in these views. 

That's not what I mean. With TrackIR, it's tracking head movement, not eye movement, so if you move your head forward, it moves the camera forward... If you move your head forward and to the right, you are actually able to look around the co-pilot.  So it's not just panning the camera, it's moving the camera in/out, up/down, left/right etc.  Does the eye-tracker do this as well?

46 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

That's not what I mean. With TrackIR, it's tracking head movement, not eye movement, so if you move your head forward, it moves the camera forward... If you move your head forward and to the right, you are actually able to look around the co-pilot.  So it's not just panning the camera, it's moving the camera in/out, up/down, left/right etc.  Does the eye-tracker do this as well?

You can look left, right, up, down, you can lean in, out, sit up, stoop down, shift left, shift right and a full combination of all of the above.

Save 10 suitable cameras, and you can look at any area. From the position of your choice from any angle you choose.

And its less finicky than track ir.

It is a head tracker, with eye tracking.

You can turn off either or adjust the sensitivity of both elements.

Using eye tracking alone won't give you depth of position movement.

For me in fs2020 i turn the eye tracking off.

Edited by Simple B