Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Maybe I was wrong to sneer at electric vehicles.

"In a report released this week, government researchers said they have found a way to charge electric car batteries up to 90 percent in just 10 minutes"

Boom! 

spacer.png 

If true, I wish I owned 10,000 shares of Tesla or similar !

-------------------------------------------------

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/soon-electric-vehicles-could-charge-faster-than-your-iphone/ar-AA119ZNO

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Breakthroughs are being made almost daily it seems. 

Most charge at home while sleeping of course.

The Lightyeare 0 is a fascinating car. Many owners that do short trips mostly (most people) can drive for months without charging thanks to its solar panels. Expensive but the company plan to incorporate the tech in a cheaper car.

https://www.treehugger.com/lightyear-0-solar-powered-car-production-ready-5498883#:~:text=The Lightyear 0 features 5,kilometers) on Europe's WLTP cycle.

LFP batteries are the big deal now. Like the BYD blade battery. Much cheaper, far safer in terms of fire risk and huge lifespan. In fact blade batteries have been delivered to Tesla Germany for the latest Model Y apparently.  Lithium yes, but no cobalt or other stuff. 

Edited by martin-w

I had the opportunity to drive the Porsche Taycan TurboS a few weeks ago.  $215,000 LOL!!!  Had I seen the sticker I may not have agreed to drive it.

Holy word not allowed cow!  I mean you name the car and chances are I've driven it outside of Bugatti and a few supercars.  The electric "sedan" weighing 6000 pounds was the most surreal experience I've ever had on 4 wheels.  Straight line acceleration was indescribable.  I mean you really can't even put it into words.  0-100 MPH not KPH MPH in under 4 seconds.  0-60 in 2 seconds flat.

The passenger got out and literally said they had a headache.  I still swear the thing pulled a wheelie off the line in launch mode.

I mean literally unreal...   

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

2 hours ago, psolk said:

I had the opportunity to drive the Porsche Taycan TurboS a few weeks ago.  $215,000 LOL!!!  Had I seen the sticker I may not have agreed to drive it.

Holy word not allowed cow!  I mean you name the car and chances are I've driven it outside of Bugatti and a few supercars.  The electric "sedan" weighing 6000 pounds was the most surreal experience I've ever had on 4 wheels.  Straight line acceleration was indescribable.  I mean you really can't even put it into words.  0-100 MPH not KPH MPH in under 4 seconds.  0-60 in 2 seconds flat.

The passenger got out and literally said they had a headache.  I still swear the thing pulled a wheelie off the line in launch mode.

I mean literally unreal...   

I drove one last year on a slalom course. For the size and weight of it it was an eye opener. that said i'd rather have a 911 4s with a 6 speed.

Just now, dbw1 said:

I drove one last year on a slalom course. For the size and weight of it it was an eye opener. that said i'd rather have a 911 4s with a 6 speed.

I drove the Taycan, new 911 GT3 Manual and new Cayman GT4 manual and if it were my money I'd take the GT4 in terms of $$$ per smile 🙂  

I love the mid engine platform as well.  Can't go wrong with a manual 911 4S though! 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

5 minutes ago, psolk said:

I drove the Taycan, new 911 GT3 Manual and new Cayman GT4 manual and if it were my money I'd take the GT4 in terms of $$$ per smile 🙂  

I love the mid engine platform as well.  Can't go wrong with a manual 911 4S though! 

About 8 years ago i had a chance to spend time on a track with the 911 4s and the Cayman S where you'd follow an instructor and he'd be critiquing you along the way. I'd had a Boxster just before then and they wanted to sell me a another Porsche. With the amount of maintenance issues I had with my Boxster I decided to get rid of it when the warranty was up. That said i loved driving that car.

The Cayman S is an excellent car in anyone's book but for me compared to the 911 4S that day for me  it was a squirrel though a very fun squirrel. Both had the PDK and being an old manual transmission lover I came out of that day thinking I might have to change my thoughts on "auto trans" at least the PDK. I came out of that day hot and bothered for a 911 4S and debated and crunched number and came to the conclusion were I to get one I'd have to delay retirement to pay for it - the car lost. I kept my 370Z roadster.

I think electric cars have their place but for me were I to go down that road it would be a hybrid of some kind. The instant torque is eye watering. These days I have a Honda passport which has a superb AWD system including a torque vectoring rear end but think of the Porsche often.

We're starting to get more electric GSE at the airport, it has some plusses and some minuses. Most of the baggage tractors have been electric for years, but now we're seeing lifters and belts which are electric, they're a bit of a pain if they happen to be not charged and you are short of vehicles, but they do have some clever stuff on them, for example, the big high loaders used for loading pallets and cans onto widebody jets use electric power to raise the load platform obviously, but when you lower the platform, it does so purely with gravity and utilises a dynamo to get a bit of free charge on the way down.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Folks that work for power companies that say it's all political feel good BS, the US power grid is nowhere near ready for such, updating the power grid is what's needed on a massive scale. If politicians are talking, they're lying.

• Upvote 1

If civilization breaks down, maybe a pandemic or something, there will probably be all sorts of powered vehicles running around like in Mad Max.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

they're too expensive - no one can afford one...  the grid will fail because everyone will buy one overnight.

seriously...

did you know that oil prices were much higher 15 years ago than at any recent point in time?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

How exactly will the grid in California gear-up for tens of thousands of electric cars on the road in about 10 years?  And what will  they be using to power-up their plants?  

They should be using our friend the atom to power their electrical plants. But they won't.

49 minutes ago, sightseer said:

they're too expensive - no one can afford one...  the grid will fail because everyone will buy one overnight.

seriously...

did you know that oil prices were much higher 15 years ago than at any recent point in time?

Yeah, that's not true. The model S is the best selling luxury car in North America. "Nobody can afford one" is obviously wrong.

When I was in the UK EV's were common. Little Fiat 500 EV's all the way up to highly expensive EV's. My daughters friends dad has a new Model Y. The police here in Guernsey drive EV's. My daughter collegue at work has an iPace. My neighbours back in the UK had Jaguar iPace, Model S, Model X and there was a Nissan EV. EV's are common on the road. There are a number of people on this form who own them. 

And no, the grid won't collapse. 🙄 Smart grid, vehicle to grid and upgrades will suffice. 

"Does the energy grid have the capacity to support more charging?

In short, yes.

According to National Grid’s project director, it is expected that electricity demand would increase by 10% if the entire country switched to EVs overnight and started charging.

Some might argue that 10% is a huge increase. However, increased reliance on off-grid energy sources such as solar panels has helped the country to rely less on the energy grid. In fact, the UK’s peak demand has fallen by 16% since 2002.

Basically, if we all started charging our cars today, we’d still be putting less strain on the energy grid than we were 19 years ago!"

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

And no, the grid won't collapse. 🙄 Smart grid, vehicle to grid and upgrades will suffice. 

"Does the energy grid have the capacity to support more charging?

In short, yes.

According to National Grid’s project director, it is expected that electricity demand would increase by 10% if the entire country switched to EVs overnight and started charging.

Some might argue that 10% is a huge increase. However, increased reliance on off-grid energy sources such as solar panels has helped the country to rely less on the energy grid. In fact, the UK’s peak demand has fallen by 16% since 2002.

Basically, if we all started charging our cars today, we’d still be putting less strain on the energy grid than we were 19 years ago!"

That all depends on which state or country you live in. As is it today, A short heatwave puts such a strain  due to increase in the use of airconditioners that  we have local governments asking to limit the use to certain hours due to the strain it puts on the Grid. Not every country is the UK, The infastructure isnt yet in place in many cities, let alone whole states and countries. 

Alot more needs to put in place before a full EV evolution can take place, and NO we are not there yet. Even the head honchos of the electrical powers that be are saying that the governments plan is to aggressive where I live.

Edited by Garys

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yeah, that's not true. The model S is the best selling luxury car in North America. "Nobody can afford one" is obviously wrong.

I'm sorry, Martin.  I know that's not true.  I was just putting two arguments against EV's that I've heard and put them side by side figuring it would make some people stop and think what a couple of oxymoronic comments those are. "No one can afford them"  and yet "so many will buy them that the grid will collapse".

Facts like what you state about past electrical usage escape many.  Here in The US , corruption is rampant and yet people still believe what they are told by those who make money from the status quo.  Its why I included the part about oil prices reaching their peak in 2008 -- but yet gas prices were lower. and then we could talk profit margins...

The truth is out there 🙂 

Edited by sightseer
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.