i9 9900k
RTX 3080
32 GB RAM
1 TB SSD NVME2
850 watts PSU
z390-f
Game in 4k
good components

Now when I try to play msfs, I notice (with msi afterburner) that the pc performance is low.

Low gpu usage and low fps.

I've never had this problem with any other type of game, not even trying to play the newest and heaviest ones.

Assuming that even when 1080p is very low, the fps are always the same.

And that's why I can't understand what the problem is.

The pc temperatures are normal and do not even touch the temp limit

Please i need help i really enjoy playing that game but playing it in 10 fps totally ruins everything.

Welcome to the AVSIM forums! 😀  Now get ready to be tortured for calling this flight simulator a game! 😱  I can't bear to watch!

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

48 minutes ago, alex2122 said:

Hello everyone, I am new.

I begin by telling you my components:
i9 9900k
RTX 3080
32 GB RAM
1 TB SSD NVME2
850 watts PSU
z390-f
Game in 4k
good components

Now when I try to play msfs, I notice (with msi afterburner) that the pc performance is low.

Low gpu usage and low fps.

I've never had this problem with any other type of game, not even trying to play the newest and heaviest ones.

Assuming that even when 1080p is very low, the fps are always the same.

And that's why I can't understand what the problem is.

The pc temperatures are normal and do not even touch the temp limit

Please i need help i really enjoy playing that game but playing it in 10 fps totally ruins everything.

please enable developer mode in MSFS and post a screenshot of the display FPS. it will tell you what is the bottleneck is. Also what is low fps for you ?

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Yeah that's very low with your rig, with a decent CPU and GPU. You should be able to set global settings to ultra, but beware of the terrain LOD. That's sort of the "fps slider" in MSFS. At major hubs like KLAX, EGLL with AI traffic, you probably want to reduce TLOD to 100-200, as otherwise your CPU will be hammered. 

Like the turtle above said, check in dev mod (in the menu), then on the dev mod menu on top of the screen, options=>show fps. This will bring up a display with your mainthread (CPU) and GPU frame times. Whichever is higher is the limiting factor. 

To reduce load on the CPU: lower terrain LOD, AI traffic, road traffic, boats etc, everything that moves

To reduce load on the GPU: reduce resolution, render scaling, clouds ultra=>high

Your 9900 has 8 cores, 16 threads. So if we're lucky to get a decent DX12 implementation with SU10 this week, CPU usage should be much better. 

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to Avsim!

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Make sure you don't have a low power limit set for the GPU in Afterburner.

I haven't used Afterburner in some time, but I had a similar problem a while back with another GPU utility (EVGA Precision) that turned out to be a really low power limit that somehow got set after I updated the nVidia drivers.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

5 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

Make sure you don't have a low power limit set for the GPU in Afterburner.

Yes, and make sure you have your GPU set to "prefer max performance" in nvidia control panel. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

Welcome to the AVSIM forums! 😀  Now get ready to be tortured for calling this flight simulator a game! 😱  I can't bear to watch!

Although, double click the MSFS icon and wait a few seconds...  "Loading Game..."

We do our best for them, and then MS / Asobo go and pull the rug from under us!  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Hello and thanks to all of the replies.

So I tried to do what you told me (AI Traffic LOW and road traffic ...; Low Terrain LOD set to 50; I also closed msi afterburner and activated the dev mod; I put the nvidia setting on "prefer max performance ") In short, I did everything.

The problem still persists, with dev mod and with the fps setting active, the problem is as before, maybe 3-5 fps more (I'm about 20)

Now I'll show you the fps with the dev mod 

guys I don't know why but it doesn't make me put the photo on the post. So I put a mediafire link on it.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/cix44nw971ddefk/fps-problem.png/file

Hi Alex,

Strange problem, but you're not alone. Never heard of "limited by rdr thread", so I tried to find out and did a Google search. Looks like there's something wrong in NCP, just Google it yourself.

Good luck

Mick

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

2 hours ago, alex2122 said:

guys I don't know why but it doesn't make me put the photo on the post. So I put a mediafire link on it.

I'll just post it here (I'm using imgur by the way) so that others can see. 

AwSXY3y.png

But what I can see from the dev mode stats is that you're limited not by mainthread (CPU) or GPU, but RdrThread. 

FPS: 20.7

MainThread: 22.5ms

RdrThread: 48.0ms

GPU: 25.7ms

I'm not familiar with RdrThread myself. Here's a thread on the official forum https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/low-fps-limited-by-rdrthread/370489, maybe that can be a starting point. And perhaps others will chime in. 

So a very quick search seems to talk about RdR (Render Thread) problems not being new in MSFS. They may have first been noted after SU5 when TAA was introduced in graphics settings. 

There may not be a one single silver bullet here, but solutions suggested include ensuring you do have TAA set in your graphics options, and that the CPU ‘priority’ level for flight simulator.exe has not been set to below normal for example.

Hope you sort it, with a spec like yours it should be blazing fast!

Good luck 

1 hour ago, rayharris108 said:

...They may have first been noted after SU5 when TAA was introduced in graphics settings... 

I think TAA has been there from the start Ray.  Are you thinking of something else?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Maybe you can also read through this:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/low-fps-limited-by-rdrthread/370489/9

Strange problem though.

Have you tried to close all programs in the background? Maybe you can do a clean start of windows and try again?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

For one guy Citrix was the problem:

TheMarvinX,

I cannot thank you enough for your post!!!
I have been suffering 2fps and limited by rdrthread a few weeks after SU6 as well.
I have tried many hours of troubleshooting the problem, updating/reinstalling the graphics driver, tweaking MSFS graphics settings, removing files from my community folder, multiple re-installations of MSFS2020, upgraded to Windows 11 all to no avail!

I uninstall citrix and boom!
Problem solved!!!

Edited by MySound
  • Like 1

Hello again

I tried to take a flight. Throughout the flight, the fps graph looked like this.

And the rdr thread was always normal.

I haven't changed any settings since my previous post.

What do you think is the problem?

However, having read many forums regarding these problems I noticed that many people have formatted the pc, I would not want to do it as I have many files, but if the only option is that I would also do it ...

Anyway, I want to thank you for the help you are giving me!

Many thanks

spacer.png