Sign in to follow this  
Noel

What is the difference between Reactivity and Sensitivity?

In FSX and P3d "sensitivity" was entirely linked to TIME, ie: the time it took for a control surface to react to a given input. In MSFS sensitivity is now entirely connected to input curves, so you now have the advantage of imposing a curve response and a time lag through "reactivity". Strictly speaking this should be as near to 100% and the sensitivity curve close to linear if the given flight model is decent. 

Unfortunately many default and addon aircraft are way, way too twitchy in pitch control and this at its core has nothing to do with curves or response but with poor pitch control settings in the flight model. Almost all aircraft are very stable in pitch, even if they only require a small stick movement, which is different from the bucking up and down movement you see in many FS aircraft. If your given aircraft is bouncing up AND down in pitch like a spring in MSFS then the flight model is plain wrong.

For my own amusement I adjust the flight model of 95% of aircraft in MSFS to get rid of the pitch twitch as it makes aircraft extremely difficult to control when attempting a smooth take off and smooth flare on landing. For this reason I do not buy any addon aircraft in the marketplace because the f/ms are still encrypted, whereas they are generally not encrypted if you purchase direct from the addon developer or re-seller.

• Like 2

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

On 9/18/2022 at 4:55 PM, Alpine Scenery said:

I will have to watch this when my VKB Gladiator Joystick arrives

You'll love it. You may be dissatisfied with the grease, but VKB has a tutorial on how to regrease it. I did it with a lighter grease and I don't regret it at all.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

It is going to partly depend on your hard ware. On my Fulcrum Yoke for example tend to run flat curves (zero sensitivity) but on my old FFB2 I have the sensitivity set to more like -30% .

Thanks, Glenn. I use the Thrustmaster Airbus Quadrant and Side Stick. I reckon linear will work fine without any curves.

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

1 hour ago, RALF9636 said:

In the end you can only find out for yourself which settings feel best for you. It not only depends on the hardware and the aircraft type but also on personal preference.

However here are my settings for the Fenix A320 (Thrustmaster T1600, old Saitek pedals):

Elevator:

Sensitivity 0

Extremity Deadzone 33

Aileron: 

Sensitivity -50

Extremity Deadzone 0

Rudder:

Sensitivity 0

Extremity Deadzone 70

And for the PMDG 737 (Honeycomb Yoke):

Elevator:

Sensitivity 0

Extremity Deadzone 50

Aileron:

Sensitivity -25

Extremity Deadzone 0

Rudder:

Sensitivity 0

Extremity Deadzone 75

Anyway I would strongly recommend against setting any sensitivity curve for the elevator and the rudder. That will make the control feel different depending on the elevater/rudder deflection which makes the aircraft even harder to control during the flare and when rolling down the runway in a crosswind.

Regarding the Extremity Deadzone: Increase it until you just still have enough control authority to keep the nose up in the flare resp. to counteract the windvaning effect in the strongest crosswind you want your aircraft to takeoff/land in.

I guess the reactivity really is a matter of personal taste. Just test 0, 50 and 100 and see what you like best with your hardware and aircraft. I leave it at 100.

Excellent, Ralf. I will give these numbers a test and see what I come with. I guess it's trial and error for the larger liners (787,777,A330 etc) where reactivity will come into play to simulate weight.

Thank's again!

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

@El Diablito - So, the extremity deadzone doesn't shorten the throw of the axis then?

I've never used it because I always assumed that it would shorten the travel to the 100% mark, thereby increasing the feeling of sensitive controls.

6 minutes ago, hangar said:

@El Diablito - So, the extremity deadzone doesn't shorten the throw of the axis then?

I've never used it because I always assumed that it would shorten the travel to the 100% mark, thereby increasing the feeling of sensitive controls.

A positive Extremity Deadzone setting reduces the sensitivity. That means that you won't get to the full control deflection in the sim  anymore when you fully deflect your hardware controller, which makes the controls less twitchy.

A negative Extremitiy Deadzone makes you reach the full deflection in the sim earlier, when you not yet fully deflected your hardware controller, making it even twitchier.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

means that you won't get to the full control deflection in the sim  anymore

hmm, a little odd but interesting. Sounds like a good thing to play with on certain sensitive aircraft where you don't need too much rudder authority...especially if you don't often fly windy approaches or have an over abundance of rudder.

Edited by hangar

14 minutes ago, hangar said:

hmm, a little odd but interesting. Sounds like a good thing to play with on certain sensitive aircraft where you don't need too much rudder authority...especially if you don't often fly windy approaches or have an over abundance of rudder.

I set a significant positive Extremity Deadzone for elevator and rudder in almost all aircraft in MSFS. Usually you never need full control surface deflection in MSFS in a normal flight. If you are in aerobatics or do sideslips a lot, it might be different of course.

Apart from my pedals I have the twist axis of my stick also assigned to the rudder - without an Extremity Deadzone. So I can use that should I ever need full deflection (sideslips or sharp turns while taxiing - or use the tiller axis for that).

15 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

my stick also assigned to the rudder - without an Extremity Deadzone. So I can use that should I ever need full deflection

right, makes sense.

5 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

In the end you can only find out for yourself which settings feel best for you. It not only depends on the hardware and the aircraft type but also on personal preference.

However here are my settings for the Fenix A320 (Thrustmaster T1600, old Saitek pedals):

Elevator:

Sensitivity 0

Extremity Deadzone 33

Aileron: 

Sensitivity -50

Extremity Deadzone 0

Rudder:

Sensitivity 0

Extremity Deadzone 70

And for the PMDG 737 (Honeycomb Yoke):

Elevator:

Sensitivity 0

Extremity Deadzone 50

Aileron:

Sensitivity -25

Extremity Deadzone 0

Rudder:

Sensitivity 0

Extremity Deadzone 75

Anyway I would strongly recommend against setting any sensitivity curve for the elevator and the rudder. That will make the control feel different depending on the elevater/rudder deflection which makes the aircraft even harder to control during the flare and when rolling down the runway in a crosswind.

Regarding the Extremity Deadzone: Increase it until you just still have enough control authority to keep the nose up in the flare resp. to counteract the windvaning effect in the strongest crosswind you want your aircraft to takeoff/land in.

I guess the reactivity really is a matter of personal taste. Just test 0, 50 and 100 and see what you like best with your hardware and aircraft. I leave it at 100.

Thanks for this,

I just tried your settings for my Honeycomb Yoke and the pitch is way more precise, did a quick circuit and the approach & flare was much better. 

• Like 2

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

23 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Thanks for this,

I just tried your settings for my Honeycomb Yoke and the pitch is way more precise, did a quick circuit and the approach & flare was much better. 

This goes for my Thrustmaster TCA Captain's pack for Fenix A320, too.

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

21 minutes ago, hvw said:

This goes for my Thrustmaster TCA Captain's pack for Fenix A320, too.

Good to know Hans,

I also have the Thrustmaster Side Stick for the Fenix I will also give this a try. Did you use the exact same setting for the pitch ?

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

35 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Good to know Hans,

I also have the Thrustmaster Side Stick for the Fenix I will also give this a try. Did you use the exact same setting for the pitch ?

Yes, I copied the data given in RALF9636's note. Mind you, I only did one flight with these settings but the experience was great and they seem to work perfectly for me.

Edited by hvw
Syntax error
  • Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

I thought I would report back,

I adjusted both my Thrustmaster Airbus side stick & Honeycomb Yoke as per Ralf's settings and have now completed a couple of flights in the PMDG & Fenix and have nailed every single landing, what a difference, the elevator authority is super accurate and precise on both aircraft now. A linear curve with the extremity deadzone adjusted is definitely the way to go. Aileron authority is really nice as well.

I am one happy camper, I have been struggling to perfect my landings in MSFS 2020 for ages.

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

On 9/18/2022 at 3:29 PM, Micko said:

Hi Noel, 

Here's a very good youtube video, have a look yourself:

This video clearly explains all the adjustments in MSFS..

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310