Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

SimHeaven's X-Europe for XP12 analysis...

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

As always, it's nightmarishly bad with assets taken straight out of a 1995 PC game. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

and they said minecraft was dead

on another note, why is LR leaving it up to 3rd parties to develop scenery that should be in the base product

Edited by UKflyer
  • Upvote 1

😞

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

I mean, I appreciate the data and the improvement but the models and the overall scene just looks like something out of an early access indie city builder off Steam. 

• Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

25 fps when looking in the distance, oh so familiar

don't forget this is outside of a complex airport or plane cockpit

graphics engine, headroom, hint

Edited by UKflyer

13 minutes ago, jcomm said:

😞

Didn't intend to hurt your feelings! Thanks for sharing, made it clear to keep avoiding the product!

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

Those negative comments surely are intentional, thinly veiled trolling for a laugh. Anything else just doesn't compute. I mean, who would be so dripstickingly dumb and insult a freeware product, right?!

Edited by Bjoern
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

Those negative comments surely are intentional, thinly veiled trolling for a laugh. Anything else just doesn't compute. I mean, who would be so dripstickingly dumb and insult a freeware product, right?!

Yes, every piece of criticism aimed at X-Plane and anything related is trolling, that's the best way to dismiss everything. 

• Like 4

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Certainly LR will continue to work and improve on the scenery and visuals in general (and contrary to what some people think, everyone will gladly welcome that, including historical X-Plane fans). But, as has been already said many times, if your priority is the scenery, then you should go to MSFS.

The two sims, albeit similar in many things, always had a somewhat different philosophy, and I think in XP12 this is accentuating.

MSFS is good for sightseeing and the overall visual aspect of flying and piloting. XP on the other hand, is more for experiencing the real dangers of aviation, the choices real pilots do, recreating difficult and dangerous real life scenarios, appreciating operational details, etc.

That said, XP engine would be capable of incredible realism: I've never seen a screenshot more similar to a photo than the one below (screenshot by @filou ), except for the bad AA which I agree they should improve. So it's a pity LR hasn't the needed resources to get scenery like that worldwide. But know that by buying XP12, you are supporting a bunch of passionate people who do not have the resources of a mega-corp, and yet they made a product that in some areas is more realistic compared to real life.

9hPF533.png

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

12 minutes ago, Murmur said:

The two sims, albeit similar in many things, always had a somewhat different philosophy, and I think in XP12 this is accentuating.

Absolutely.

12 minutes ago, Murmur said:

MSFS is good for sightseeing and the overall visual aspect of flying and piloting. XP on the other hand, is more for experiencing the real dangers of aviation, the choices real pilots do, recreating difficult and dangerous real life scenarios, appreciating operational details, etc.

Well that's like, your opinion, man.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

6 minutes ago, rka said:

Absolutely.

No, simple facts. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

52 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Certainly LR will continue to work and improve on the scenery and visuals in general (and contrary to what some people think, everyone will gladly welcome that, including historical X-Plane fans). But, as has been already said many times, if your priority is the scenery, then you should go to MSFS.

That said, XP engine would be capable of incredible realism: I've never seen a screenshot more similar to a photo than the one below (screenshot by @filou ), except for the bad AA which I agree they should improve. So it's a pity LR hasn't the needed resources to get scenery like that worldwide. But know that by buying XP12, you are supporting a bunch of passionate people who do not have the resources of a mega-corp, and yet they made a product that in some areas is more realistic compared to real life.

That is the problem we have, but don't want to have. I don't want two sims, one good at scenery and the other at physics. That's why we had hope for XP12. I love the XP sky environment and plane handling, but really bugs me when i have to look over the same dull scenery. The autogen looks ok when maxed out but then performance bombs out. 20 fps in the zibo i don't think is acceptable when flying has to be smooth and fluid for the immersion. The photo looks nice, but limited in coverage.

Edited by UKflyer

30 minutes ago, rka said:

Off topic but that quote comes from one of my favourite movies and thanks for bringing that up, I'm going to watch it again today 😁

43 minutes ago, Murmur said:

XP on the other hand, is more for experiencing the real dangers of aviation

I don't know about this, take the tipical GA pilot, many dangers come from things like birds, drones, balloons, kites, etc. I don't think XP models these too well if at all.
Note, I'm not comparing to other sims, let's keep this discussion civil and constructive.

Edited by peroni
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

if your priority is the scenery, then you should go to MSFS.

I think that should be rephrased to 'if your priority is Global scenery, then you should go to MSFS'.

The VFR world in XP12 with ortho and Simheaven X-World is more believable IMHO.  The combination of the new lighting pipeline and autogen that goes much further out than MSFS, creates a very believable world.  I have used x-roads to deleted autogen roads too, further enhancing the realism.  Further increasing realism are far better ai road traffic and trains.

I fly 99 percent in Europe and some areas of the USA.  The ortho I have downloaded is superior to that in MSFS.  Considering XP12 is so early in development, its in a good place.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home