Sign in to follow this  
RW1

PMDG 737 Update is out.

55 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

The late captain Ernst had nothing to do with any 737, nor with Level-D (it was 767 PIC released for FS2k if memory serves me right)

I wasn't meaning Eric was involved with the 737.  His work inspired the Level-D 767 and from that project we had the first realistic airliner soundset ever created for an aircraft in Flight Simulator.  I believe he had a hand in the initial development of the Level-D 767 released for FS9.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

24 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What a ridiculous statement,  There have been many pilots in real life , who frequent this forum including myself that like the new weather with more realistic winds in SU10. Why do you just make up stuff that has zero basis in fact, 

Agreed, I fly in the real world and welcomed the addition in SU10.

FS2020 

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

What a ridiculous statement,  There have been many pilots in real life , who frequent this forum including myself that like the new weather with more realistic winds in SU10. Why do you just make up stuff that has zero basis in fact, 

Indeed.. these characters seem to think they're actually being taken seriously with all their barking on these threads lol. They've been asked many times to state specifically what aircraft they're flying in MSFS which exhibits all these problems they keeping harping on about (hint: it's probably default birds), and to provide evidence of how/why they think it should fly in the sim, and what sim(s) and aircraft they think does the job best/better (hint: it's probably a legacy sim that moves aircraft on imaginary rails in the sky), etc etc but no, nothing. It's not even clear if they're actually using MSFS, especially a certain other character (whose name is a city down under) who seems to be intent on beclowning himself repeatedly on various threads with his feeble attempts at trolling.

And then we have those who keep repeating the "XBox/Gamer" canard, i.e. XBox users who're supposedly influencing Asobo to dumb down MSFS, without realizing that a great many Serious Simmer ™️ types probably have lesser PC hardware than the XBox, and probably aren't as "serious" as some XBox MSFS simmers are. I guess we have the whole gamut from those who think the weather isn't active enough, to those who think it's just right, to those who think it's too active.  Like many I just care for it to be as real as possible, and feel it is closer to that now than it's ever been in previous MSFS releases.

MS/Asobo meanwhile keep marching ahead and turbulence simulation + aerodynamics takes more steps forward in SU11
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/guide-testing-the-new-airflow-visualization/549454
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cfd-is-amazing/549365/38

And finally, it has to be noted that without fail, another RSR/PMDG post has caused a great triggering 🤣

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

42 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Indeed.. these characters seem to think they're actually being taken seriously with all their barking on these threads lol. They've been asked many times to state specifically what aircraft they're flying in MSFS which exhibits all these problems they keeping harping on about (hint: it's probably default birds), and to provide evidence of how/why they think it should fly in the sim, and what sim(s) and aircraft they think does the job best/better (hint: it's probably a legacy sim that moves aircraft on imaginary rails in the sky), etc etc but no, nothing. It's not even clear if they're actually using MSFS, especially a certain other character (whose name is a city down under) who seems to be intent on beclowning himself repeatedly on various threads with his feeble attempts at trolling.

I don't think Trolls fly anything. 😉

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

I wasn't meaning Eric was involved with the 737.  His work inspired the Level-D 767 and from that project we had the first realistic airliner soundset ever created for an aircraft in Flight Simulator.  I believe he had a hand in the initial development of the Level-D 767 released for FS9.  

I was at a Avsim convention in San Diego when the Level D was introduced. I bought it instantly, that was a great aircraft. Years later I got a chance to fly a Reaal Level 767-400 ER sim at a Delta Training center, and made about 9 pretty good landings. The Instructor pilot asked me how much " turbine time I had" I told him only thing i have ever flown is Single engines Cessna's and Pipers and the Level D sim on my PC.  

• Like 6

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

You understand the XBOX/Gamer crowd can't deal with the gust that was just implemented in SU10 let alone what your talking about here.  I agree to a certain extent but we need some semblance of a radar until we get to what your talking about.  And (hopefully) once we do the loud Gamer/XBOX voices don't shout it down enough to where we loose theses advantages in the sim we just gained to bring us closer to simulating the real world.😶

Yeah, some crowds don't understand how challenging weather is in aviation. Honestly, I never use the RADAR in sim because I just fly right through the storms instead of deviating🤣. I do remember when active sky implemented serious turbulence and up/down drafts that made you pull up the RADAR and pick your way through. Another issue we have within sim is that the ATC can't see the weather either. IRL, we work together with ATC to avoid weather. On check in, they may say, a lot of traffic has deviated 5 miles North, there seems to be a hole, would you like that? Or they may say, I show heavy precipitation at 10 miles ahead of your course, are you looking to deviate. They will also recommend a heading. Unfortunately in sim, you can't ask for 10 degrees right or left of course, you just do it and they will constantly try to vector you back. Just imagine ATC putting you into holding due to storms fouling up arrivals and departures. We shall see what comes.

Here is another nice to have that I think we are on the cusp of with the GTN series. In the Gulfstream plane view avionics, you have the ability to DLNK weather. This is an awesome feature. With the weather RADAR, you are limited to how far you can see weather. Storms also have to be well inside of 300 miles to get more detailed returns. Most enhancements like estimated turbulence and alarms only work at the 25 mile mark. This is where DLNK weather shines. DLNK weather can only be displayed on the map. You cursor over to the map, click and have the choice to display DLNK or RADAR weather. You have the choice to download weather along the active route or select the regions you want to display. Once downloaded, the data contains the same data you will find within online weather maps(satellite, winds, etc.). It also downloads a timeline which I find most useful. People say it's already 30 minutes old when downloaded, but that's fine because you use your RADAR for current situations anyway. Your current DLNK WX time will show green and will turn amber when it's expired or when you start scrolling through older data. Here is how I use.

Our weather RADAR systems is interesting as it has two systems and one antennae. The left to right sweep uses system 1(pilot's) and the right to left sweep uses system 2(co pilot's). As you can imagine, this causes an update delay for each side when both are used. What I teach is to have the RADAR up on one NAV display and put the other system to STBY. That way you get an update on that display with each sweep. I then DLNK weather and have it displayed on the other NAV display with it's system in STBY. You can then use the onside RADAR to build the picture and pick through and use the offside NAV display to look ahead and run the timeline. You can expand out and look at winds, clouds and weather way ahead of the flight. You scroll over and place the cursor over the DLNK WX time and use the scroll wheel on the CCD to run the time line. This way you can scroll and watch the progression of the weather and make decisions to deviate well ahead of time. If for some reason both NAV displays are selected to DLNK weather, both displays will have a flashing amber WX icon on the bottom right. Some thinks it's a warning for the RADAR, but it's just a reminder that no one has the RADAR selected. You could scroll to the PFD and select the RADAR there, but it's a small display on the CDI area. It's awesome! Only problem is that not all aircraft have this capability. But, with a great GTN model, you could do the same. Fingers crossed that we can get to a point that these tools such as RADAR/weather displays are very useful during the flight.         

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

Dont spread any wrong information here. Its not early access, no beta or anything else, nothing mentioned on the website of PMDG. Its a released product.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/169846-19apr22-pmdg-737-development-update-let-s-talk-about-early-adopter-and-continued-maintenance-phases

Maybe someday they will invent some sought of tool on the Internet that would enable searching by keywords, and then it would pull up links to webpages which would allow seamless access to information. If they do, I hope they call it something cool like "Google". Can't wait for that technology to come someday. Oh well, until then I'll just share the link above (hint: you click on it)

Edited by Mike T
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dillon said:

😳, I stand corrected from my post above.  48 posts in, what other games do you play?😶

Meowwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrr.    You do realize MSFS2020 is officially an Xbox game though, right?    I mean, given it's been ported over to PC for whatever reason I'll never know.  I guess to give old grumpy people something else to complain about?   (Dude below is freaking out about the wind gusts...)

spacer.png

Edited by hobart escin

3 hours ago, hobart escin said:

Meowwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrr.    You do realize MSFS2020 is officially an Xbox game though, right?    I mean, given it's been ported over to PC for whatever reason I'll never know.  I guess to give old grumpy people something else to complain about?   (Dude below is freaking out about the wind gusts...)

It's actually the other way around.  This is a PC title that's been ported over to the XBOX.  This is a franchise that has inspired more real world pilots than any other piece of software in history and is older than XPlane and almost as old as Microsoft itself.  I remember my years in MN going to Northwest's old training facility in Eagan flying the 744 and A320 simulators.  At first people were wondering how I was familiar with the aircraft in the way that I was able to jump in/feel at home. When I told them it was FS/PMDG on the 744 side they understood as many of them used FS as well.  Fast forward to my time in the Navy (VAQ-34, VFA-94), what you see in DCS and the F/A-18 in FS is basically what you get in the real world especially with a VR headset (minus the classified stuff).  So as a real world pilot myself I find it hard to look at this as just a game (XPlane and DCS included).  Ace Combat is a game.  For someone who is a pilot, flown in F/A-18's in real life, and used real world Level-D simulators I can't do it. 

Microsoft had to list this as a game for the department it's under.  The XBOX department is well funded and for us as simmers a well thought out re-release for this franchise is a great thing and it brings in new users (new pilots).  But it's far from a game if you've flown real aircraft in a pilot's status (even more so if you've flown in different kinds of aircraft). I appreciate the avenue the Flight Simulator team had to take to continue this long running series but it's far from the classification, 'Game'.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2

FS2020 

4 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Indeed.. these characters seem to think they're actually being taken seriously with all their barking

Indeed there's no level low enough for you to stoop to. a-propose "characters".

Instead of the usual mish mash of cut/paste and links why don't you show some real knowledge of your own? 

and a friendly advice, go slower on the adjectives, they don't reflect on you in a civilized manner

Just now, ha5mvo said:

Indeed there's no level low enough for you to stoop to. a-propose "characters".

Instead of the usual mish mash of cut/paste and links why don't you show some real knowledge of your own? 

and a friendly advice, go slower on the adjectives, they don't reflect on you in a civilized manner

Lol ok... surely I'll have to take your advice to heart as you dispense such wise words around here. Instead of the usual triggered posts and constant overblown deriding of this sim, why don't you share some basic knowledge and actually answer the questions that's been asked of you before? Here, let me point you at a simple one for example:

• Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, G550flyer said:

Here is another nice to have that I think we are on the cusp of with the GTN series. In the Gulfstream plane view avionics, you have the ability to DLNK weather.      

Does it provide you with the situation at the altitude that you are at?

1 minute ago, lwt1971 said:

Lol ok... surely I'll have to take your advice to heart as you dispense such wise words around here. Instead of the usual triggered posts and constant overblown deriding of this sim, why don't you share some basic knowledge and actually answer the questions that's been asked of you before? Here, let me point you at a simple one for example:

Fenix for most part. Happy now? and yes, it does oscillate but this has nothing to do with the current thread....

10 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

Does it provide you with the situation at the altitude that you are at?

Yes, beneath the data's zulu date is the altitude. If I am behind the flightplan on fuel, I can load the wind chart and scroll the altitude up or down to check the winds rather than bugging ATC to see if they can get a wind report at different altitudes. I can just request the altitude with the better reported winds. I'm not sure how this works in the GTN series though. You would think this is something that a sim GTN developer could code though. It's just a snapshot of weather so they would just pull from what the sim weather is using. 

Most commercial aircraft have satellite internet these days, and so using a tablet app like WSI provides almost unlimited access to datalink weather data, more than most pilots know what to do with.  Tops data being a standard level 3 radar product, you'll always have that.  It's nothing you'd use to, say, find a low spot to try and go over a line of weather since you'll be using airborne wx radar for that, but it's useful for larger scale planning. 

• Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley