Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

How to destroy two police helicopters in 2 seconds!

On November 17, 2012 a Pasadena Police Department (PD) helicopter struck a stationary Pasadena PD helicopter while maneuvering to park at the Pasadena Police Benedict Heliport in Altadena, California.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ouch! I bet that hurt, especially the person outside the helicopter that was hit with main rotor blade and managed to walk away!😵

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Textbook definition of having a bad day at work...Hope everyone's ok though. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

They are fortunate that no one was killed or seriously injured.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Looks to me like the fault was with the ground team - they pulled it from the hangar and left it in between the two parking spaces. Second heli tried to land on correct spot and boom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

9 hours ago, 787flyer said:

Ouch! I bet that hurt, especially the person outside the helicopter that was hit with main rotor blade and managed to walk away!😵

The person outside the helicopter was the Lt. who'd just advised the misplaced helicopter to stand down from their flight due to deteriorating weather conditions.

It doesn't excuse the ground crew for placing the first helicopter offset from their pad, but the second helicopter trying to land was not expected back from their mission for a full hour, and they were "in a rush" to get airborne.

What amazed me was to learn that Pasadena had a total of SIX helicopters. That's a lot of money!

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

I have worked extensively with rotary and It doesn’t matter what the ground crew did - the safety and responsibility rests solely with the aircraft captain.  The second heli had no business attempting to park so close to the other, and it’s my guess he will be held solely responsible for the incident.

• Like 2

Not that it matters, but the landing helo's pilot was a woman. So, you don't mind if another driver parks his/her car blocking two parking spaces?

The pilot of the helo spinning up should have insisted the ground crew relocate the craft in its assigned pad's area.

Fr. Bill    

I can't believe the total lack of spacial awareness. Terrible loss of two aircraft.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

On 10/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, vgbaron said:

Looks to me like the fault was with the ground team - they pulled it from the hangar and left it in between the two parking spaces. Second heli tried to land on correct spot and boom.

I flew rw for 17 years. I hate to quote as a Monday morning quarterback*, but I will, this appears to be a team phook-up by all involved. It's pretty hard to hide from the camera.

*My first engine failure (late 1970s, Bell 206a) every other pilot I knew had words of wisdom for me how I should have handled it. I got it into a swamp surrounded by 50' tress with minor damage - I clipped a small tree on the way in.....no cameras, lol. Of course, in your 20s you still think you're invulnerable and need a wheelbarrow to carry a certain part of your anatomy around. After several engine failures I decided if you've got to choose between being good and being lucky, choose lucky.

The funny thing is the arriving helicopter first landed on the grass then hover taxied onto the pad.

The helicopter preparing to depart did not have the radio turned on so the arriving helicopter couldn't communicate with it. I thought the radio should be turned on when starting up the helicopter.

Dugald Walker

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

The funny thing is the arriving helicopter first landed on the grass then hover taxied onto the pad.

The helicopter preparing to depart did not have the radio turned on so the arriving helicopter couldn't communicate with it. I thought the radio should be turned on when starting up the helicopter.

Avionics come on after start and after the generator is on. Usually external indication of impending start is the rotating beacon and at night position lights.