Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

The X-Plane difference.

28 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Nope - ALT only freezes with Static port getting clogged. ASI yes, in various possible ways, like frozen towards ZERO, frozen at last valid speed, acting like an altimeter with higher han / lower then indicated speeds...

Yes - Ice on air frame affects the aircraft,

BUT! 

if Zulfi's flying it, there's no chance Ice can accrete - no way !

Oh ok.

Even my bathroom drainage tube is clogged 😁

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

OK, some more testing, this time @ CYFB which was just now showing:

CYFB 031000Z 30022G29KT 15SM DRSN BKN042 BKN100 M10/M14 A2978 RMK SC5AC2 SLP091

In XP12, default C171 clockwork panel, ice never built up on fuselage / wings / pitot / static / windshield during 5 min flying. Found it weird ...

In MFS ice started to build up during taxi to rw and was visibly accreting on the windshield and inflight after a while the ASI froze at the last valid read, but V/S and ALT were still working, which is wrong...

Well... what can I say 😕

Shall I uninstall MFS and XP12 ?

YES !!!!

EDIT: This is becoming addictive, but just tried in XP12 at CYFB by manually creating humidity 🙂 and got the thing - ice - to accrete and build up on the windshield ( it doesn't show graphically in other aircraft surfaces like in MFS ), and..... after a little while the ASI froze at the last indicated airspeed BUT! just as in MFS, both the V/S and the ALT were still working .. The STATIC was at 0% icing so, ASI should have dropped towards 0 knot indicated... XP12 is wrong too...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

NO keep both lol increase drive capacity cheap skate hehehe 🙂 Guys I am heading towards a 16tb system for what I need with ortho...

Edited by ianlighting
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

In XP12, default C171 clcokwork panel, ice never built up on fuselage / wings / pitot / static / windshield during 5 min flying. Found it weird ...

In MFS ice started to build up during taxi to rw and was visibly accreting on the windshield and inflight

METAR indicates the snow is dry and light, it's drifting (DRSN), only dry snow has that ability. And it's rather cold aswell.

In general, dry, light and cold snowflakes on a cold airframe wont contribute to icing.

Just stay out of the actual clouds (which has supercooled droplets just waiting to stick to your cold wings)

A big hazard in your scenario is if you taxi/takeoff with a plane that has been stored in a warm hangar. Now that's  much more problematic.

• Upvote 2

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Just now, SAS443 said:

METAR indicates the snow is dry and light, it's drifting (DRSN), only dry snow has that ability. And it's rather cold aswell.

In general, dry, light and cold snowflakes on a cold airframe wont contribute to icing.

Just stay out of the actual clouds (which has supercooled droplets just waiting to stick to your cold wings)

A big hazard in your scenario is if you taxi/takeoff with a plane that has been stored in a warm hangar. Now that's  much more problematic.

Very true, but unfortunately when I went to the clouds, between 4000 and 10000 feet, nothing changed, hence I decided to manually add "humidity"... Edited the weather, created precipitation, and then I got icing already on the rw, and it built fast indeed, yet the ASI wasn't coherent with what the output data showed about pitot and static ports... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

OK, some more testing, this time @ CYFB which was just now showing:

CYFB 031000Z 30022G29KT 15SM DRSN BKN042 BKN100 M10/M14 A2978 RMK SC5AC2 SLP091

In XP12, default C171 clockwork panel, ice never built up on fuselage / wings / pitot / static / windshield during 5 min flying. Found it weird ...

In MFS ice started to build up during taxi to rw and was visibly accreting on the windshield and inflight after a while the ASI froze at the last valid read, but V/S and ALT were still working, which is wrong...

Well... what can I say 😕

Shall I uninstall MFS and XP12 ?

YES !!!!

EDIT: This is becoming addictive, but just tried in XP12 at CYFB by manually creating humidity 🙂 and got the thing - ice - to accrete and build up on the windshield ( it doesn't show graphically in other aircraft surfaces like in MFS ), and..... after a little while the ASI froze at the last indicated airspeed BUT! just as in MFS, both the V/S and the ALT were still working .. The STATIC was at 0% icing so, ASI should have drop towards 0 knot indicated... XP12 is wrong too...

You spoke very highly of the OP but honestly, everything you said applies to you. Much respect to you for keeping it 💯 as the kids say these days lol. If anyone has shown integrity in this thread, it's definitely you.

• Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Now we're going (partly) into nitpicking. However, let's talk about major weather simulation: I posted the below video already once. Entering precipitation, temperature etc. manually and the result is ... falling from the sky (what would overwhelm the casual gamer/simmer and that's why it isn't implemented in ... guess where 😁). That's what I call - to remain on topic - "The X-Plane difference."

Edited by flying_carpet
  • Upvote 2

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

11 hours ago, Krakin said:

Another prime example of how quickly and readily misinformation gets spread and gobbled up in this community. Y'all need to do better, especially considering you guys seem to demand the highest accuracy in your preferred sim. How about setting the standard of high accuracy in what you say?

@Murmur You are shifting the goalpost now. We've gone from the other sim not modeling it at all, to talking about V/S and other things you never mentioned in your OP. You never said those other instruments locked up in your XP12 test. You want to go test again and perhaps show us a video of it happening? You're quick to say maybe MSFS takes too long to freeze the pitot but what if XP12 is freezing it over too fast???

Technically speaking, in the original post I just said that in the heavy icing conditions I set up, the pitot clogged very fast in XP, as it happened in several real life incidents.

• Upvote 3

"Society has become so fake that the truth actually bothers people".

10 hours ago, OverTheEDJ said:

Your original post was inaccurate and misleading. And when challenged, your subsequent posts look to avoid the same issues that you raised.

You're a broken record, mate. 😆

So you stated that X-Plane had "consistent updates and improvements". In refuting your opinion about improvements, I then pointed out that X-Plane did not get to clouds until 2022.

If you compare v11.00 to v11.55 you'll see that it had a lot of improvements, and the same was true for previous releases. If you can't see that, don't know what can I do... 

In short, your opinion doesn't matter when it comes to me buying XP12, mine does.....

And viceversa! Don't know what is your problem if I like XP... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

EDIT: This is becoming addictive, but just tried in XP12 at CYFB by manually creating humidity 🙂 and got the thing - ice - to accrete and build up on the windshield ( it doesn't show graphically in other aircraft surfaces like in MFS ), and..... after a little while the ASI froze at the last indicated airspeed BUT! just as in MFS, both the V/S and the ALT were still working .. The STATIC was at 0% icing so, ASI should have dropped towards 0 knot indicated... XP12 is wrong too...

XP does not have separate drain clogging, so if pitot clogs, it's both drain and ram air.

So the behaviour in XP was correct, provided of course that the airspeed reading reacted to altitude changes.

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

and..... after a little while the ASI froze at the last indicated airspeed BUT! just as in MFS, both the V/S and the ALT were still working .. The STATIC was at 0% icing so, ASI should have dropped towards 0 knot indicated... XP12 is wrong too..

It's correct if you fly a C172.

With a completely iced Pitot the ram pressure (dynamic+ static) is trapped in the piping.
C172S static system are separate ports on side of the fuselage. Meaning  VSI and Alt will continue to work.

If we are in level flight and change power setting, ASI needle wont move from position where it froze.

The ASI needle will however indicate a change should we climb or descend since  now, the membrane in the air tight canister is only reacting to change in static pressure from the working static port. Pressure from Pitot is what it is, due to being sealed shut.

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

4 hours ago, flying_carpet said:

So, you are claiming that the code for FSX (and its predecessors) was property of the games studio which developed them and NOT belonged to Microsoft? A few times times you wrote in your posts "naive me ...". So, yes - you're probably right 😄.

No you're twisting what I said in order to be nasty, argumentative and insulting which is somewhat of a theme here in XP land.  Is it too threatening for you so you have to go into insult mode?  Why?  Here it is again tell me what is not essentially highly accurate in this comment:

"XP was under the same roof for the duration therein lies the giant difference.  The other sim absolutely was not, some code was borrowed, a giant amount of new code brought us to where we are today, 2.2y out from initial release, with a slew of worldwide scenery at no cost to the user, and these don't just happen they take a huge amount of work."

When I referred to these features as 'little things' my point was compared to what has already been done pre and post release of MSFS, adding attributes like ground friction changes in wet or icy conditions is absolutely small potatoes in terms of the work it will require to get there.  This is happening right now w/ their weather system in terms of incorporating various physics effects not currently implemented or optimized.  There is no question in my mind at the moment XP is more advanced in terms of those 'little things' in large part because it's the end point of a 25y project, building on itself primarily by one main developer.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

The ASI needle will however indicate a change should we climb or descend since  now, the membrane in the air tight canister is only reacting to change in static pressure from the working static port. Pressure from Pitot is what it is, due to being sealed shut.

because asi is the difference between static (static port) and dynamic (pitot tube) pressure.

just a little extra info to explain the why in more detail, helps me to remember it to.

afaict, you would generally only see zero airspeed when the front of the pitot tube is blocked by some obstruction like say an insect.

most likely before take off (in which case its similar to a full blockage) or flying into insects.

icing otoh, is likely going to block the wet small diameter drain tube before the buildup gets anywhere near large enough to block the rest of the pitot tube.

afaict.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AutoATC Developer

It's incredible how nasty some people are against those who are here, just because we simply enjoy XP more than other sims. It's like it makes them mad for whatever reason.

• Upvote 4