Sign in to follow this  
altenae

Yes another question about the 5800X3D

At this point , IMO, for anyone wanting to upgrade their CPU, it is to wait. As it is now December, AMD is expected to launch the Ryzen 9 7950x3d at CES in early January along with a slightly cheaper x3d chip as well. Public should be able to buy sometime in February. Even if one does not want this Zen4 upgrade, once released, the Zen3 5800x3d will for sure drop in price. It’s too close to release of this for me to upgrade my 9900k. Im planning on splurging and getting the 7950x3d along with new memory and mb. My 3090 is doing just fine with DX12 in MSFS.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

Just a quick one - went from an 8086k (which has reasonable single-core performance) to a 5800x3D and the difference was staggering. 

Before upgrading I was getting ok-ish playable frames (20 - 30) at payware airports with a lot of options turned down or off.

Now I get a consistent 60 FPS (the refresh rate set for my GSync monitor), even with heavy, overcast skies at Aerosoft's Heathrow in PMDG's 747-400 and most settings on or higher than previous and no tweaks. Still running a GTX 1080 stock.

CPU/Motherboard changed, that's it.

Stunning result

Steve

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve_mac said:

Just a quick one - went from an 8086k (which has reasonable single-core performance) to a 5800x3D and the difference was staggering. 

Before upgrading I was getting ok-ish playable frames (20 - 30) at payware airports with a lot of options turned down or off.

Now I get a consistent 60 FPS (the refresh rate set for my GSync monitor), even with heavy, overcast skies at Aerosoft's Heathrow in PMDG's 747-400 and most settings on or higher than previous and no tweaks. Still running a GTX 1080 stock.

CPU/Motherboard changed, that's it.

Stunning result

Steve

The same thing here! the 5800x3D works wonders even with my GTX1080, I use a samsung Qled 4k TV (incredible brightness, versatility and no mirror effect) with Render Scaling 70% and with the rest of the MSFS settings 90% in ultra / Vsync "on"30fps and it's pure happiness.Smooth!

As far as I'm concerned, my desire to change my graphics card to the high range current generation is completely excessive.

The 5800X3D is definitely unbelievable.

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

8 hours ago, Steve_mac said:

Aerosoft's Heathrow in PMDG's 747-400

Wow! Two releases that have gone completely under the radar for MSFS or are you a beta tester? 🙃[/sarcasm]

Glad you are enjoying the upgrade to the 5800X3D. It is a fantastic CPU for flight simming.

Edited by F737MAX
typos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I may have serious look at this CPU to replace my ageing 9900K 😮

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

2 hours ago, sonny147 said:

I may have serious look at this CPU to replace my ageing 9900K 😮

I just upgraded to the 5800X3D from a 10980XE and its so worth it! I contacted Arctic and asked where I could get an AM4 mounting kit for the cooler, they sent me one for free.

Edited by shamrockflyer
  • Like 1

Just now, shamrockflyer said:

I just upgraded to the 5800X3D from a 109080XE and its so worth it! I contacted Arctic and asked where I could get an AM4 mounting kit for the cooler, they sent me one for free.

thanks ive got the artic too ( brilliant bit of kit dont you think)

• Upvote 2

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

On 1/2/2023 at 11:08 PM, F737MAX said:

Wow! Two releases that have gone completely under the radar for MSFS or are you a beta tester? 🙃[/sarcasm]

Glad you are enjoying the upgrade to the 5800X3D. It is a fantastic CPU for flight simming.

Sorry, should've clarified - that's in P3D v4 where I would typically get 12 FPS at Heathrow in a PMDG.

The performance increase in P3D is at least as good as MSFS

On 1/2/2023 at 11:35 PM, shamrockflyer said:

I just upgraded to the 5800X3D from a 10980XE and its so worth it! I contacted Arctic and asked where I could get an AM4 mounting kit for the cooler, they sent me one for free.

Didn't consider that with my Corsair. Just bought a kit from ebay. Works fine

43 minutes ago, Steve_mac said:

Sorry, should've clarified - that's in P3D v4 where I would typically get 12 FPS at Heathrow in a PMDG.

The performance increase in P3D is at least as good as MSFS

Really? I didn't really notice any performance gains in P3D when I went from the 5800X to the 5800X3D....

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

1 minute ago, KL Oo said:

Really? I didn't really notice any performance gains in P3D when I went from the 5800X to the 5800X3D....

I would say the jump from an 8086k to a 5800x3D to was somewhat more substantial than from your 5800x

We are all counting on you to just buy it and let us know.  Thanks

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

36 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

I don’t think it’s really a worth while upgrade/investment from a 5800x. It’s an improvement but not day and night. If you are satisfied with the 5800x you risk getting bad silicon/a bum chip.

My 5800x3d falls into that category when I read how others perform. It technically meets all the specs set by AMD but it struggles to meet its full boost under an all-core load due to heat. Mine can only achieve 4.1 maybe 4.2 ghz in a stress test while others can get 4.4 or 4.5. In gaming it will do just fine though. But in an all-core load a 5800x would easily beat my 5800x3d. 

Edited by JasonPC

1 hour ago, JasonPC said:

My 5800x3d falls into that category when I read how others perform. It technically meets all the specs set by AMD but it struggles to meet its full boost under an all-core load due to heat. Mine can only achieve 4.1 maybe 4.2 ghz in a stress test while others can get 4.4 or 4.5. In gaming it will do just fine though. But in an all-core load a 5800x would easily beat my 5800x3d. 

You may have already thought of this but its worth a shot. Did you update your BIOS?

16 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

You may have already thought of this but its worth a shot. Did you update your BIOS?

Yes I have tried everything and have come to the conclusion that it’s just bad silicon. There’s a video on the optimum tech YouTube channel where he purchased a new 5800x3d to replace a borrowed one and it ran significantly hotter than the borrowed cpu despite being in the same system.

Since voltage and clock speed are locked down on this chip there are limited amounts of tweaks that can be done to overcome this.

I've also repasted the CPU and really found that the previous application was excellent. My temps actually got slightly worse after the repaste although possibly this will improve a little as it cures somewhat.

Edited by JasonPC
  • Like 1