Sign in to follow this  
blingthinger

Ugly brown-colored trees

I was finally able to spend some time in sim today after a month away from the computer. Was bouncing around KPDX area and literally thought to myself: "I hope those drab tree textures near this airport get updated in the beta run".

B0K0lsM.jpg

And then it clicked: It's fall up there right now! I had been away long enough for the trees to drop their leaves.

I've never thought much about the seasons in XP, but boy does it bring a smile to the face now... Real time + real weather = *chef's kiss*

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

Apart from the trees, there's something in how lighting is done in XP that I love.

It's often realistically "drab". It does not look like a fake dramatic painting, but more like real life.

• Like 4

"Society has become so fake that the truth actually bothers people".

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

Apart from the trees, there's something in how lighting is done in XP that I love.

It's often realistically "drab". It does not look like a fake dramatic painting, but more like real life.

I agree.

Whatever algorithms they are using for the revamped atmopsheric lighting are very impressive and realistic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great pic. Has also been thinking this—really enjoying the changing seasons.  And “atmospheric” is exactly what we want in a flightsim.

I will also admit to being surprised at the mixed tree textures. Then realized that they are mixing evergreens in with the deciduous. It was an early morning flight IRL: maybe a bit slow on the uptake still!

I eventually wandered my way up to KPAE in enough daylight to start seeing some of the colors:

mRC5rEj.jpg

The lighting is so well done. It's sometimes a bit depressing because real world from altitude can be a bit drab, but the color accuracy is spot on.

Edited by blingthinger
  • Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

2 hours ago, dolph98 said:

With Reshade, the colors really pop!

I use Reshade for the excellent sharpening options, but I find increasing saturation or vibrance over emphasises the blue in the atmosphere and shadows.

I appreciate Raleigh scattering will produce varying amounts of blue tone, but I would like to increase saturation with the ability to adjust the blue tone - any suggestions on filters to use in Reshade?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I always liked when FSX changed from winter to spring coloring because all of a sudden - pop - developing green all over the place instead of the depressing brown. So I'm definitely looking forward to XP's foliage transitions.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

12 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

any suggestions on filters to use in Reshade?

Here are the filters I'm using. Simple but effective for me. No FPS hit on any of these filters. There is a small FPS hit. Didn't really notice it before. I don't care, its worth it.

- Colourfulness.fx - Enough color - fully adjustable with sliders. Doesn't change the hue that I can tell.

- EyeAdaptation.fx - Helps with changes from light to dark - especially in the cockpits that are too dark already.

- Clarity.fx - Sharpness increase.

- AdaptiveSharpen.fx - Subtle sharpness increase.

There is also a Lua script that you might like called "XTP_Live" available in the downloads. All it does is "help" the sky color.

Honestly I don't like flying without Reshade anymore. I even load it up when I adjust settings or when I work on my Xchecklists. One thing I don't understand but have not complained to anyone about it because it's a beta. Every other time I start X-Plane with Reshade enabled, X-plane crashes CTD. This is every other startup almost without exception. I come to expect it now. Two starts for every launch. Any clues on that?

Edited by dolph98
  • Like 1

Land shark!

16 hours ago, XMAN said:

Does XP12  have bare trees in the winter?   like FSX and P3D

xKjWZEL.png

6f5PGTJ.png

xxaIhmt.png

4EyFTjw.png

• Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer