Sign in to follow this  
Guest Len

DX10 Release Announcement - Not Impressed

Yes, in 2 places:1) as a set of posts on my blog2) as an integrated single article on FSInsider in my Performance section.And the blog posts were available when SP1 shipped.

OT, So you got stuff sorted out Falcon?Which addons did you end up getting?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't get it. Even if the expansion pack is a "game" add on, what does it take away from you? Recently another guy was complaining about the missions complaining that it made the simulator more of a game and less of a simulator. To that I ask What does having missions/games/gore/etc take away from people who want pure flight? Its not like pure flight was removed to accomodate the game features!!

And how does that take away from your enjoyment of the flight simming if you choose not to participate in flying F-18?

Funny, I remember being awed to no end as a child watching the Blue Angels fly their F/A-18's peacefully in airshows... just because they're warplanes doesn't mean they're only good for violence or killing.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

"I'm sorry, but to my knowledge the F/A-18A Hornet was built to kill people and to be very capable of creating violence. Nothing more nothing less.Ulf B"While you have the right, of course, to apply your own moral standards to any endevour you wish to partake in, it is perhaps... problematic at best, that any flight simulation will be able to divest itself entirely of the influence of military aircraft as they are both enjoyable to sim-fly, and interesting, if not crucial, in any enthusiasts view of flight history and the flying experience.

My concern is that, with this product addon, (whatever the name) they may change their focus from simulation to gaming. A good response from the gaming market may cause Microsoft marketing to take a hard look at where they allocate their funds. Now, this may not happen since the inherent complexity and adjustments needed to make FSX work could persuade the gaming enthusiasts that there is not a sufficient advantage to this addon to support the effort to get it running properly.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

The issue is not the use of gaming or military venues. Rather, will this change to focus of the product from flight elements. After-all gaming is a much larger market than flight simulation.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

I'm in agreement with Frankla. How does the addition of a couple of military planes remove your enjoyment of any other part of the sim? Good addon military planes have been available for FS for a long time, no one makes you buy or download them, so what's the issue? I'm a pacifist and I can still appreciate their technical wonder objectively, dark though their purpose may be. I somehow doubt they'll be ultra-realistic renditions, but the one fleeting shot of that L-39 jet trainer in the trailer caught my eye. Been looking forward to flying one of those.Anyway, I for one am quite excited by the expansion pack. For ONCE the focus is *not* on airliners, and it's about time! I'd even love to see an expansion that deals with nothing but rotorcraft.Thank you ACES for embracing the idea that there is more to flight simulator than 'tubes with wings'. I'll be at electronics boutique the moment it arrives. :)-Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Couldn't agree more and I'm still trying to figure out where the killing and gore comes in when air racing? As for the air racing part well it sounds challenging.I watched an air race on tv a few months back and was amazed at how close to the edge these guys are, nothing arcadish about it if you ask me, nothing but skill and fear. Amazing stuff.Not to mention new missions and mission capability ala the new helo and lift operations which simulate real world operations, as do search and rescue etc.... just depends if you enjoy that sort of flying. Just like airline flying, ga flying, stunt flying, air racing and soaring, it's all part of flight simulation.Good for Aces for expanding the envelope.Ian.

I dont get this.There are new sim elements in Acceleration, for both rotor-craft and fixed-wing aircraft.In addition to the new aircraft, missions, racing, etc.That seems like a balanced set of additions to me, how is it changing the focus?

Depends on the definition of flight elements....racing and military flying are all part of flight and are not necessarily games but more sporting/entertainment type simulations of real world activities just as airline and ga flying are. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The core fs has not changed so an add-on is not in my opinion indicative of the direction Aces will go in the future, just another dimension in flight simulation.Ian.

F-18s were not made for air-shows. I also could watch the Blue Angels everyday. While I do not have one of those F18s I may get one to see how it flies. Looks like great fun.The point is that this is one of those slippery slope things. Once you start including combat "capable" aircraft there becomes a demand for armament. The there is a demand for seeing the struck target explode. Then, if they follow the blood & guts stuff teenagers revel in, maybe we will see that pilot crawling from his downed airplane AND to make it more "enjoyable, we can put a few rounds into him as well. While an extreme comparison, soldiers who face combat daily are all-to-often returning from the war with deep psychological problems. It is not too much of a stretch to believe that someone who continually plays a game, where death garners points, may also suffer adversely. Such "entertainment" is too entrenched to eradicate it. However, to propagate it into Flight Simulator is a mistake. I recommend that Microsoft draw the line and certainly allow all types of combat aircraft to be available. BUT, do not allow ANY armament. Or, perhaps allow laser targeting such as the pilots use in practice missions.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

I guess the bottom line is this:No matter what is, will or was announced in regard to FS, there will always be someone who will find fault and the need to complain or question the motives of the publishers and developers."You can please SOME people ALL of the time.You can please ALL of the people SOME of the time.But, you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time!"The good thing is........ we are all free to choose!

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Military is a sub-component of gaming. While military does not play a significant role in the addon, gaming does. Therefore, Microsoft may be testing the waters to see if there is a response from the gaming community toward this addon package. The concern (paranoia) is that, if the response is good toward this product, Microsoft may then move its project funds more towards enhancing this aspect. Since I am narrow-minded (preemptive self deprecation) I do not want to see expenditures and talent moved from the current goals and objectives of the FSxxxx program. If Microsoft takes another course and allocates some of the increased gaming sourced revenues to action gaming I am all for that. So my position depends on what direction Microsoft takes with the product.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,