Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

MSFS WX - Cirrus Clouds

Yea I know here we go again but I'm living mostlly outside and when I look up an see some awesome Cirrus or even a contrails mix I got to think man MSFS would rule with that stuff.

I'm thinking that these cloud types are outside the current Wx parameters but how about adding  simple 2d layers to simulate what we should be seeing.  

Accuracy and 2d image display wouldn't require a major performace hit but the immersion factor would be huge.

sp

ASOBO is still making changes to their weather engine, and in one of the last Q&A sessions they mentioned coordination with Meteoblue for additional fine tuning of the data they receive and process.

They will most possibly start to depict high level clouds as Ci, Cs and Cc.

At least they already process important data at the higher levels, having plausible Tropopause levels and temperatures, so, I believe it's just a question of time until we can see this high clouds more plausibly depicted.

Same applies to visibility, which is now in most cases very plausibly depicted in IMC and some marginal VFR conditions, even though they haven't even started to specifically simulate this parameters AFAIK.

Like most everything happening in MFS, being a very dynamic platform, moving in the right track, it's just a question of time.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

15 minutes ago, jcomm said:

ASOBO is still making changes to their weather engine, and in one of the last Q&A sessions they mentioned coordination with Meteoblue for additional fine tuning of the data they receive and process.

They will most possibly start to depict high level clouds as Ci, Cs and Cc.

At least they already process important data at the higher levels, having plausible Tropopause levels and Temperatures, so, I believe it's just a question of time until we can see this high clouds more plausibly depicted.

While not directly related,   you may find this interesting.

Vertical Wind Analysis - SU11 https://discord.com/channels/876123356385149009/1046456516066168902

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

While not directly related,   you may find this interesting.

Vertical Wind Analysis - SU11 https://discord.com/channels/876123356385149009/1046456516066168902

Thx, yet, I can't read it because I do not use Discord 😕

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

38 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Asobo has been partnering with Metro Blue since before day 1 of MSFS and it just has not gotten there.  In regard to his concern it seems to have not gotten anywhere for realistic/representative cloud textures.  Meanwhile in the Q & A sessions and elsewhere the plea by those experienced is to open up the weather part of the SDK to 3rd parties.  And the response has consistently been "Not Planned".

Shame!  Just pure and simply Shame!

• Like 4

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

40 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Like most everything happening in MFS, being a very dynamic platform, moving in the right track, it's just a question of time.

This has always been the case and yet all the hand-wringing and actual belief that if it wasn't for simmers applying constant pressure they just won't figure it out and nothing would move forward.  Hogwash! 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

55 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I just want to know why they made these claims because I am just not seeing all this supposed data on full display. 

It is more the issue with cloud types. They are only displaying two, three including fog, cloud types. 

There are 16 cloud types officially recognized, we have max three in the sim. 

I have been 'complaining' about this since release, others as well, since weather is such an important part of flying.

The data is there, but not the variety of cloud types. It is a very lazy implementation, they just don't seem to care....

• Like 5

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

I think the issue might not be that the sim can't display these types, but rather they can't determine what clouds they are from the Meteo Blue connection. I've played around a fair bit with layers and clouds in the sim and you can get some really interesting patterns and shapes of clouds that you never see with the live weather option enabled. If I'm correct. all the more reason they should open it up for developers (like active sky) to aggregate that data and send the weather info to the sim.  

• Like 1

I agree that diversity of cloud depiction, the closest possible to RW, is going to bring realism mostly from a visual PoV, but IRL it's also true that you care mostly about cumuliform vs stratiform, with two exacerbated types of eachother - nimbus.

Fog is actually a low, stratified cloud 🙂

Not saying they aren't important in aviation, and in the type of flight I do IRL they are indeed very important, both Cirrus and Altostratus can ruin an otherwise good soaring day, but for aviation in general they are of not great importance. Aircraft cross them in a second 🙂

But OFC I will be glad when I see them too in MFS 😉

Someone mentioned, and reminded me of the 60 layers of data that MFS takes from Meteoblue in order to model the atmosphere, mostly the Troposphere BUT! also the Tropopause and even part of the Stratosphere, at least that part where some civil aircraft, as well as military operate, and that is something that pleases me and makes me laugh when I read some say MFS is an arcade sim...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

11 hours ago, jcomm said:

it's just a question of time

True. However, we're more than 2 years post-release and this fundamental part of what aviation is all about is still incomplete.

There's a frustration that it's taking such a long time and *appears* to be low on the priority list behind new content.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

On 12/2/2022 at 3:22 AM, F737MAX said:

True. However, we're more than 2 years post-release and this fundamental part of what aviation is all about is still incomplete.

There's a frustration that it's taking such a long time and *appears* to be low on the priority list behind new content.

What's odd to me is that resolution, or detail, was substantially better initially.  In fact I stated then I thought they already had cloud depiction in the ballpark and it was largely tuning that needed to happen.  I ran the sim very well w/ a lowly RTX 2070 back then and it was only thin diffuse clouds that would strongly impact the GPU where I might need to adjust from Ultra to High.  Then, for reasons I always assumed had to do w/ the limitations of Xbox, cloud depiction took a genuine turn for the worse.  That being said it's not all bad, the weather per se or what they have done w/ these exceedingly consistently low resolution clouds.  They've done an admiral job with it....but meanwhile the hardware marches on and would be fully capable of rendering not only what intial clouds looked like but improved by another 25-50% in density/complexity.  After all initially we were using PCs now 2+ years old and it ran weather very well then.  Unfortunately I lost a bunch of early screenshots but here's a choice one from my home city:

spacer.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Representation of clouds,the number of cloud layers,color, the lighting, the live weather visually are my biggest disappointments besides the rest.

MSFS 2020 is high on it compared to what we have experienced but is average across the board.

( MSFS opening load time, traffic , low resolution and color imagery , soapy driving of planes on the ground, photogrammetry color and POP , terrain LOD, representation of the road network and road traffic , ground worker behavior, ATC etc...)

It's a bit too much for me after two and a half years.

The only exceptional experience I have with MSFS is that it's butter in terms of performance and its ease of use.

I can also understand for most people the attractiveness of all this free stuff that MS regularly offers, but as far as I'm concerned, make circles in the sky above each novelty on Sunday it's really not my thing.My expectations are really not there.

It would not bother me pay a subscription to have a much better overall representation than that.

Something more mature...

• Like 4

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.