Sign in to follow this  
wyodeacon

Another Question about MegaSceneryEarth and P3Dv4.5

I have been looking at MS earth and trying to count my pennies to begin buying it.  But I have a couple of questions:  First, are there sceneries for the rest of the earth besides the US?  All I can find advertised are the domestic ones. Also, Are the newest ones the Individual states, or the Regional, (ie; Mid-Atlantic States) or the ones showing the whole US , along with extras?  I think they are the v3 version.

Along with this, has anyone used the FS Global Nest Generation?  How do you like it?  Apparently, if I understand right, It isn't accurate like MS Earth, but I'm not sure.

Finally, Do I have to have all the MS E sceneries, or can I get them as I can afford?  And, since I haven't installed any other mesh, is there anything I have to uninstall in P3Dv4.5, or do I just begin installing what I have?

As I said in a earlier post, I have used FSX for many years, so this is quite a step up, I'm thinking.

Thanks, again.

Don't have answers to all your questions.  But when I flew in p3d I absolutely loved using MSE.  However some things you may want to keep in mind.  I typically only liked the packages on the US west coast.  I picked up Florida and Georgia and was not too satisfied with them.  To me it's a must to pick up the Nuvecta package for each state also.  This adds autogen and to my eyes scenery was too bare without nuvecta.  It's not expensive.  You do not need all the MSE scenery.  Get what you need.  Though note that as you fly from one state to another you will notice a difference between the two which will show as a very clear line.  But this can happen even when flying from one MSE area to another as they were captured at different times.  But not a deal killer.  I had and would recommend: California north and south, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona (incl phoenix).  The negative to any photoscenery product is they don't look the greatest at low altitude.  However nuvecta helps this a little.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

9 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

I have been looking at MS earth and trying to count my pennies to begin buying it.  But I have a couple of questions:  First, are there sceneries for the rest of the earth besides the US?  All I can find advertised are the domestic ones. Also, Are the newest ones the Individual states, or the Regional, (ie; Mid-Atlantic States) or the ones showing the whole US , along with extras?  I think they are the v3 version.

For FSX I had 45 of the lower 50 USA states and flew exclusively with MSE for three or four years. I even had some MSE hi-res cities.   Be aware that it requires a great deal of storage space, so as others have mentioned, consider just those that you routinely fly.  I believe I had 1.5 TB consumed on a dedicated HDD.  It did not seem to affect smoothness and I did not witness any hitches in loading.  I also used an external scenery manager, I believe Scenery Config Editor, and only selected the specific MSE states I was flying on a particular day.  Was easy to do that as a pre-flight step.  I was not aware of the Nuvecta packages.

I paid much more at the time I purchased my MSE states, adding them gradually as I flew different areas.  $10 per state is a bargain, but some states are split into multiple packages.  Primarily California and Texas at 3 titles each if I remember correctly, plus any more highly detailed cities in those states.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Large blank space removed.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

12 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

I have been looking at MS earth and trying to count my pennies to begin buying it.  But I have a couple of questions:  First, are there sceneries for the rest of the earth besides the US?  All I can find advertised are the domestic ones. Also, Are the newest ones the Individual states, or the Regional, (ie; Mid-Atlantic States) or the ones showing the whole US , along with extras?  I think they are the v3 version. All released versions are the same. Doesn't matter if a Regional pack or individual states.

Along with this, has anyone used the FS Global Nest Generation?  How do you like it?  Apparently, if I understand right, It isn't accurate like MS Earth, but I'm not sure. Don't use. Sorry.

Finally, Do I have to have all the MS E sceneries, or can I get them as I can afford?  And, since I haven't installed any other mesh, is there anything I have to uninstall in P3Dv4.5, or do I just begin installing what I have? Get them as you can afford. Just begin installing. And to clarify, the photoscenery has nothing to do with mesh. That is a separate add-on. I use Toposim (toposim.net). Photoscenery overlies the mesh layer.

As I said in a earlier post, I have used FSX for many years, so this is quite a step up, I'm thinking. It is. I have all lower 48 states and Hawaii. Unfortunately, there is no Alaska....

Thanks, again.

Answers in bold above. Feel free to ask any other questions. I am a longtime MSE user. And the Nuvecta add-on is okay if you are a low level flyer.

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I too have been using MSE and as micstatic says I too recommend Nuvecta for autogen. Note that Nuvecta is about 5-6.00 bucks so it's fairly inexpensive to gradually add areas but start with the States you fly to the most and go from there. It may not hurt to bite the bullet and get yourself another SSD - I ended up adding a 6TB to go with the other 6TB i have just for Mathias freeware photoscenery (check out his threads on FSDeveloper) and MSE. If you fly in the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, I highly recommend throwing Mathias a paypal donation and get some links from him. His packages include autogen. Now if only we could get photoscenery for Canada....

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

Hey pgde, do you mean you don't use the FS Global, or that I shouldn't use it?  If the later, why not?  Also thank you for explaining about the mesh.  I was wondering about it.  I'll look into toposim.  Also, do I have to install the individual states one by one, or is there a way to install all (or some) of them together?  So, if I understand you correctly, The regional sceneries are just for ease of installation?

ywg256: Are you saying to install Nuvecta right on top of the MGE?  And, who is Mathias?  I can't throw the PayPal, unless I know. :0

And fppilot: first, you look a LOT like George Paton!  Also, are you saying my FSX Megascenery will work also?

Edited by wyodeacon
Added text

MatthiasKNU on fsdeveloper...Once you find him on there which wont be hard you will know what I mean. For nuvecta I put the texture folder into the corresponding MSE folder and then copy contents of the scenery folder into the MSE scenery folder. 

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

12 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

do you mean you don't use the FS Global, or that I shouldn't use it

He doesn’t have it. Nothing wrong with FS Global, just that Toposim usually has the odd sale and is as good or nearly as good in all locations.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:23 AM, wyodeacon said:

are there sceneries for the rest of the earth besides the US?

Yes, on the MSE site under the heading 'Buy'. There you can find significant size areas of Australia at MSE's v3 standard. Additionally, there are several European countries under 'Previous v2'.

PCAviator.com was my favoured store for MSE as they tend to have a lot of sales.

As noted by others earlier in this thread, the Pacific coast and desert states in the USA have the better imagery (there's now even higher resolution packages at '4X' the detail).

Nuvecta autogen is worthwhile, as it brings some 3D to otherwise flat textures. You can buy 'Landscapes Western USA Bundle' and 'Landscapes Eastern USA Bundle' packages for better value than individual states.

Matthias' freeware / donationware scenery on FSdeveloper.com is very much worth checking out. Particularly great for the cost conscious.
As is Orbx's TrueEarth scenery packages while they are currently on sale (do note that you must have a strong PC for TrueEarth and the ground imagery isn't as high as the latest MSE packs).

Two last points:

**You will ideally have an uncapped data allowance plus a fast internet connection**

There is a lot of data to download. Which brings me onto the most important part…

**You will need a big drive to hold all the photoscenery**

I hit 4 TB of photoscenery with just 6 Western states of the US, parts of Europe, and low resolution areas of China and Australia. It adds up rather quickly.

Edited by F737MAX

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I really appreciate all the responses.  I did just pick up the toposim earth bundle for $49.95.  I'm downloading it now.

Speaking of toposim....Is there a way to install the bundle, or is it one at a time?

On 1/2/2023 at 8:33 PM, pgde said:

Answers in bold above. Feel free to ask any other questions. I am a longtime MSE user. And the Nuvecta add-on is okay if you are a low level flyer.

Nuecta is a rip-off. My friend and I are creating accurate autogen for the whole US. It takes time. So far Ohio is done. Moreover, there are 15-20 states which has proper autogen created as freeware.

Nuecta is really just a few inaccurate generic houses here and there. No use at all. 

I'll gladly provide more info, send me a pm. :)

"My friend and I are creating accurate autogen for the whole US. It takes time. So far Ohio is done" 

Any screenies we can see of Ohio?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit